Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 10, 2017, 19:52   #1
CyclopsSlayer
Apprentice

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
PosChengBand - Ninjas

Way back in Heng, Ninja's seemed very powerful potentially, I just kept killing them off stupidly.

Now in PCB I am loving the almost OP start, even if it is a bit of a finicky playstyle. Hit - move to Hide- Hit - Move...

Some things I noticed;

-On the Ladder, all but one of the high-end Ninjas were wielding lamps/lights. Is Hiding no longer practical at deeper levels? (Mobs see through it or something?)

-Poison Needle, I had always thought in Heng it sounded too limited for general use and was just inventory clutter. Considering that none of the Ladder carries one, and several look like they never even went to get it. Just a pointless toy?

-Sabers, Katanas, Scimitars, make me uncomfortable with my weapon and impose what seems like a -35 To-Hit. What makes a weapon good/bad for a Ninja? It can't be just weight.

TIA
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017, 20:09   #2
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
-On the Ladder, all but one of the high-end Ninjas were wielding lamps/lights. Is Hiding no longer practical at deeper levels? (Mobs see through it or something?)
Look a little closer. See the Ds on those lights? they're dark lamps
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017, 20:11   #3
GenericPseudonym
Apprentice

GenericPseudonym is on a distinguished road
Those ninjas are wearing lamps with the Darkness ego, which is kinda rare (~10% of artifacts, i'm not sure about ego items). Lamps of darkness actually have negative light radius, so for example you can wield glowing weapons like Sting without ruining your stealth because the lamp's aura of darkness overcomes Sting's aura of light.

Poison needles always struck me as something that was supposed to be useful for non-melee combatants like Mages, by letting you kill high-hp targets like big dragons. A warrior or ninja can likely kill things faster just by using their normally high melee damage instead of rolling for instakills. I've never used one myself though.

The weapon types you can use are defined on an individual basis, bsically. You can look at s_info.txt in the edit files to see which ones work for yourself: any weapon for which Ninjas have a skill cap of 'beginner' or 'unskilled' gives them penalties.
GenericPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017, 20:16   #4
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Poison needles are good against non-unique HP/def bags. Things like GWoPs die a lot faster to poison needle melee than to straight-up fighting. I carried around one as a swap for awhile for that reason.
Old July 11, 2017, 03:09   #5
CyclopsSlayer
Apprentice

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Thanks all!

I honestly didn't know about Ds, sweetness, having open slots is never a good thing.

As to the Needle, I can see the validity of a swap weapon use. That must be the 'DOKUBARI' in the s_info I am guessing.

One question, the s_info shows the Ninja as competent in Martial Arts, yet they cannot make barehanded attacks. I am guessing the Martial and Riding scores are leftovers or artifacts and serve no purpose?
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 06:34   #6
GenericPseudonym
Apprentice

GenericPseudonym is on a distinguished road
Martial arts skill does nothing if your class can't make unarmed attacks, but riding is actually usable by everyone. Classes with a cap lower than Master usually don't bother with it, but technically even a permanently-unskilled sorcerer should be able to charm or summon a horse, get on its back, and stumble around awkwardly.
GenericPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote