Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old January 21, 2017, 11:06   #1
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
almost there

i managed to finish a game by only dying 3 times. two of which i could have avoided.

1) died to Azog (man he's strong for his depth) because i had no speed or any other reasonable gear to take him on. could have recalled and phased around for 40+ turns.

2) died to Ariel because i was poisoned, R* doesn't work, so i kept the s pressed. She rushed me from out of sight and i was dead before i could lift my finger from the rest button. had TO, a rFire activation and pots of heal.

3) *unavoidable* had no ESP until way too low (randarts), took 1 step back and Huan breathed on me. I had previously TO him and completely forgot about it.

i guess diving isn't so bad, but the approach to the game needs to change completely, more so for an old D&D person like me, who wants to kill everything in sight. If i see a big monster, i take it as a challenge.

Instead, being out of depth thaught me that if i see a bile demon and i dont have rPois, *maybe* i should not attack him, specially if i have +5 stealth and i can just walk by.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017, 11:52   #2
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
3 also seems completely avoidable too. The idea is that if there is a monster on the level that can one shot you and that is awake, then you get out of there asap, lest it come close enough to kill you.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017, 12:56   #3
Sky
Knight

i misspoke. the first two were avoidable if i was playing at the proper pace. i should have not tried to melee azog without inspecting him first, and i should have not held down rest. the third was unavoidable because i had no idea Huan was there, and i had detected monsters just before. i would have likely died even if i was paying attention. obviously they were all mistakes, but some worse than others.
Old January 21, 2017, 14:39   #4
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
I like the attitude, and I have a lot of respect for the way you're evolving the way you play the game. Here's hoping your next game is a guilt-free win.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017, 14:50   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Huan is bad news, a lot like the Tarrasque. If you are teleporting extreme OOD monsters out of a vault, by and large you should leave the level immediately after you are done. The dungeon is too dangerous to mess with at that point. And yes Azog is dangerous for his level. Even with !speed, I avoid him until much later.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017, 23:55   #6
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
i should have not held down rest.
You should never hold down a key, ever, except to kill Maggot.

There are two choices for resting, R & and R !. You should choose whichever suits you, [I far prefer R !], and make a macro or keymap or whatever the cool kids are doing now.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2017, 01:04   #7
Sky
Knight

?
what does R! do?

oh yeah, never mind. i use R*, out of habit. same-same. still, the poison is really annoying, when you got far more hp than you will ever receive, but you still gotta wait ...
Old January 22, 2017, 19:05   #8
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
?
what does R! do?

oh yeah, never mind. i use R*, out of habit. same-same. still, the poison is really annoying, when you got far more hp than you will ever receive, but you still gotta wait ...
I agree that poison disturb is massively annoying. In my personal mods, I changed poison disturbance so it doesn't get you every turn, I forget exactly how, maybe only each time you drop to a new *10% mark.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2017, 00:32   #9
Sky
Knight

now, i dont remember fully, but i think i had around 250 hp when poisoned, and my red warning was 100hp. maybe poison could disturb only when red or lower?
Old January 23, 2017, 17:43   #10
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I agree that poison disturb is massively annoying. In my personal mods, I changed poison disturbance so it doesn't get you every turn, I forget exactly how, maybe only each time you drop to a new *10% mark.
That is some technology that really deserves to be ubiquitous in *bands. One of the (many) very poor user experience things. "Oh I have to hit . a thousand times, but not hold it down, until this status wears off, because it causes disturbance but holding a command is asking to die to a monster"
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote