AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 19, 2017, 19:10   #41
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
A small point but relevant to this thread: does every mob in the game have perfect infravision?
Every monster in the game currently has perfect telepathy, which is an even stronger claim.

I'm not opposed, conceptually, to changing this, so long as it introduces compelling gameplay changes. It's a substantial increase in complexity. Sil makes it work by having light be a major gameplay factor, but I'd be surprised if we could easily transplant Sil's mechanics to Angband.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 19:22   #42
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
the humber hulk's kill wall ability is a bit too strong. it's supposed to dig, but it just ignores it. maybe give it tunneling and let him dig, i.e., move slower?
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 19:25   #43
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
the humber hulk's kill wall ability is a bit too strong. it's supposed to dig, but it just ignores it. maybe give it tunneling and let him dig, i.e., move slower?
What fun would that be?
Old April 19, 2017, 20:00   #44
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Correct. It'd be too easy to escape. I do miss the 'grinding noises' that used to be associated with KILL_WALL monsters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
What fun would that be?
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 21:16   #45
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
because he tunnels AND causes confusion. do you know how many @s i have lost to that stupid thing?
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 21:26   #46
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
because he tunnels AND causes confusion. do you know how many @s i have lost to that stupid thing?
If you're dying to this monster, then you need to prepare for it. Umber Hulks are far from an impossible challenge even if you're underlevelled; you just need to play smart.

Stay out of melee with them -- scrolls of Phase Door should be standard kit for every character, and they move at normal speed, so even if you don't see them before they break down the adjacent wall, you'll still have a turn to respond.

If you do get confused, you can try to kill them in melee; they have very little health and it doesn't take much to get them to flee.

Or you can drink CSW/CCW and hope that they miss their confusing attack, giving you a chance to phase away.

If you drink Speed, then you can drink CSW/CCW and be guaranteed a turn to get away.

You can use a Staff of Teleport even when confused, so that's also a good escape option if you've found/bought one by the time Umber Hulks show up.
Old April 19, 2017, 21:41   #47
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Phase door and illumination is certainly the preferred option, or just sucking up and fighting for a strong fighter with good damage. Mage should certainly phase door before it gets to a square away, then acid bolt etc. No real threat to a priest, since they are evil, and a single Orb will send them fleeing.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 21:58   #48
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I think a complete rewrite of monster pathfinding is in order - a lot of the code is old, and the flow stuff in particular is hard to understand because of no-longer needed optimisations. So I've thought about how it should work in principle, and come up with this:
  • Monsters should track the player by sight, sound and smell. Maybe telepathy too, but let's keep it simple for now.
  • Sight: If the monster sees the player, they can head straight for them. Easy.
  • Sound: Every turn, the player makes some noise, with stealthier players making less. Monsters have a threshold for noticing noise; if the noise at their grid is above that, they will follow increasing sound.
  • Smell: Every turn, the player grid (and maybe nearby grids) is marked with scent, which ages off over time. A monster that cannot see or hear the player may be able to follow scent trails.
I have this basically working in development now. I will push it out for people to look at fairly soon, once I have made suitable changes to monster sound sensitivity and sleep counter values.
Old April 20, 2017, 00:07   #49
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Also, never fight an Umber Hulk when there are other moderately nasty monsters around, particularly in melee. This is one reason to have good stealth. Not only do you not have to fight many things, the things you do have to fight you fight alone.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 12:21   #50
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This isn't an issue anymore now there are mushrooms of the clear mind.