AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old February 18, 2017, 09:21   #11
Sphara
Scout

Sphara is on a distinguished road
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=20337

Another failed attempt.

If you're going to comment do not spare your blows. Another fucking death because of hanging on to to some stat boost/sustain ring

Honestly, Trappers being dangerous never even crossed my mind. Before the tombstone appeared, I had absolutely no idea what happened! Just never even thought I'd have paralysis problem with ESP on. Probably the only monster in the game that is not detected by Telepathy but has instakill paralysis attack, right?

Well, live and learn! This already felt like a winner but I gotta stop using rings that enchant attacks but leave me vulnerable to instadeaths

Edit: Had a lifesaver cloak there. What could be a better goddamn lesson than this? Also: fuck trappers!!!

Last edited by Sphara; February 18, 2017 at 09:33.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017, 11:01   #12
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I learned early on how dangerous Trappers can be, without even being paralyzed by them (I think I've only been paralyzed by them once, during a reckless dive). I often get into trouble by them from the simple fact there is someone whomping on me and I'm not paying close enough attention and I don't see anything that can be harming me so it takes me a minute to realize what is going on; often by the time I'm in low hitpoint warning do I stop and realize; oh yeah, it's one of those truly invisible monsters. I finally learned that you can click on squares adjacent to @ until one says "The Trapper" so he's not as invisible as I used to think!

On occasion I will risk the mid DL20s without FrAct (usually only because I am forced to). I'll probably wear an Inertia amulet (-1) if it's the only source of FrAct I can find and I'm deeper than DL25, but I really try to avoid wearing a -2 one.

Once I'm passed DL30 I will with great paranoia *on occasion* risk *briefly* taking off a FrAct item to ID something on the floor when my inventory is full, but I hate doing this. That you would risk running around in the DL40s without FrAct is, I'm sorry to say, suicidal. EVERYTHING is paralyzing you by that depth. But I suppose you do have a point that anything that is paralyzing is also having thoughts about your demise. But as someone who uses teleportation frequently, even with ESP you cannot safely teleport without FrAct. You had some nice gear, too. Tis a shame.

I'm actually surprised your hammer wasn't doing more damage given its dice, your ring of damage, gloves of slaying and massive STR/DEX boosts you were enjoying.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017, 18:49   #13
petebull
Apprentice

Donated: $5.70
petebull is on a distinguished road
Targeting Mode via the '*' command reveals trappers too. And then there's the visible monster list window or the "list visible monsters '['" command
petebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2017, 07:35   #14
Sphara
Scout

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=20369

4th YASD with 2 immunities :/
Old February 26, 2017, 16:45   #15
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Ouch!

5morecharacters
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2017, 17:37   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Use your buffs! SI might have saved you, if you'd noticed the trapper in the monster list. RFire would have saved vs Smug.
Anyway, by dl 40 I start using FA for a primary swap, because (a) I can't remember all the paralyzers that deep, and (b) even an Ogre mage can kill you, if there's a more dangerous monster in the room.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2017, 18:12   #17
Sphara
Scout

Thanks for feedback.

5th attempt is on its way. It's the first ironman game I've gotten a ring of speed so far. Ofc it was a 14th floor random floor item. Too bad no FA item so far. Dlvl 27 starts to feel a little scary even with +5 speed.

A little question to the end for hard boiled ironman players:
How many books of those first four editions do you tend to carry? Losing WoW or CnB prayer books would probably blow a good Paladin game, right? On that 4th YASD I had only one book of WoW left even though I carried several of them throughout the game.
Old February 26, 2017, 20:20   #18
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I think the deeper you go the more books you need. In the early levels (say up to DL28 or so) 2 is usually enough, but 3 may be necessary passed DL35. It's quite easy to have two of a burnable item get destroyed in one attack passed DL35. Happens to me often enough.

Of course I haven't played ironman yet, but I think that's pretty sound advice. I think I may attempt an Ironman soon, though.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017, 07:49   #19
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
I keep 4 copies of important books until fire immunity. Ironman. Tend to get burdened so only works well when I can counter that with =escaping or !speed when needed.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017, 11:52   #20
Sphara
Scout

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=20374

5th. Any suggestions/help welcome