Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old February 27, 2017, 15:20   #21
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
No selling and start kit make ironman harder. Better to start with cash and buy more useful stuff.
Edit:
You'll have a hard time if you decide to get rid of imFire. It takes a long time to get enough spare books. (Otherwise you'll need to use your preferred amulet as a swap.)
Need to get some ?Mass Banishment and *Destruction*.
Drop the cap of regen. You'll never use it, and you have heal spell.
Otherwise looking good, except for obvious lacks you will solve only with time (bad melee, low CON, no ESP.)

Last edited by Pete Mack; February 27, 2017 at 15:34.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017, 22:48   #22
Sphara
Scout

Sphara is on a distinguished road
I had no idea that the selling option is a viable conduct for ironman game

Anyway, early game rarely gave me much trouble since paladins start with 2.3 attacks with a dagger. I suppose if you start as a priest, for example, you're gonna have to get the third spellbook right from the start. And any class would probably want to buy a launcher of some kind. I have never tried that option so I have no idea how much gold you start with

Winning the fifth attempt is almost in my hands now. Godly Insights and Ethereal Openings both found.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017, 09:21   #23
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
You start with ~595 gold when no useful gear is set. Starting with no useful gear in ironman means you don't waste 125gp on ?WoR. Good luck with your current @! Want to share a dump of your character?
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017, 09:56   #24
Sphara
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
You start with ~595 gold when no useful gear is set. Starting with no useful gear in ironman means you don't waste 125gp on ?WoR. Good luck with your current @! Want to share a dump of your character?
Thanks! Pretty good amount of cash for starting equipment.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=20374

I'm 99% sure I can drop nether resistance gloves since the new ones are overwhelmingly better, yes? Not gonna fight nether breathers anyway. Now all I presumably need are the things Pete mentioned earlier and I should be set.

Gotta keep an eye on Osse. He is someone who can end this game in one turn if I lose my detection paranoia.

EDIT: Levels 59 and 60 provided substantial buffs. from +8 to +27 speed, better weapon and preservation shield.

Last edited by Sphara; February 28, 2017 at 11:43.
Old February 28, 2017, 12:47   #25
Grotug
Knight

Not only does +27 speed help with battles, but it greatly enhances your chances that you will not get one shotted without notice; and obviously great for clearing vaults. I was gonna mention Ossė but glad you got his number. If you find a ring of damage, it is a good swap during fights for the ring of speed <+7> especially since you are getting so many blows per round.

Yes, I do believe I agree with you on the gloves.

Hopefully you can get your CON up more, soon. Personally, I do not begin to entertain any ideas of surviving to Sauron until my health is over 700hp. But you are in good shape.

If you do find a good ring of damage, probably worth losing something in your inventory to keep it as a swap. Your mushrooms of vigor are kinda useless right now, no? You sustain STR, DEX, CON, WIS. When was the last time you ate one?

EDIT: I think I am going to start an ironman game.

Last edited by Grotug; February 28, 2017 at 12:53.
Old February 28, 2017, 14:58   #26
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Biggest weaknesses now are CON, and melee/DEX. Might want RoCON instead of Damage, to allow for failure of healing spell.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017, 11:59   #27
Sphara
Scout

More than 30 levels above Sauron but I know he is starting to shake.

If I could travel back in time 20 years, I'd go and slap the younger me for abusing WoR scrolls. "Stop fucking hoarding things in your home and learn how to manage your inventory!". Ironman shall be the only mode I'll ever play Vanilla Angband.
Old March 1, 2017, 13:02   #28
Grotug
Knight

I've made some updates to my Ironman attempt in my DAR thread. Things started to improve but now I've run out of TO charges on a double vault level (9-8) feeling.

You have some pretty good gear, but you'll want to be doing more than 300something to Sauron a round when you face him. You're going to need to find a weapon with better dice. Even with extra blows, with only 2d5, something like a 6d5 without extra blows would be better, though you may not have enough DEX to wield a heavy weapon right now. Ideally, you'll find a good artifact weapon with extra dice.

I have 3 rings of damage I'm lugging around with me. I wish I could go back to town and unload some things I'll need later but can't use now.
Old March 1, 2017, 21:45   #29
Sphara
Scout

Monster Light Crossbow! Potion preservation and ESP in the same package. Thanks Akhorahil!
Old March 1, 2017, 22:00   #30
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
oh that's nice
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote