AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old February 23, 2017, 16:57   #1
delstrudo
Rookie

delstrudo is on a distinguished road
Poschengband Wisdom vs Resistances

Hello!

Just curious how Wisdom and Resistances work together. I've gathered that Wisdom helps resist spells but not sure how. Any input most appreciated!
delstrudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017, 17:30   #2
Regalia
Apprentice

Regalia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by delstrudo View Post
Hello!

Just curious how Wisdom and Resistances work together. I've gathered that Wisdom helps resist spells but not sure how. Any input most appreciated!
Wisdom raises the saving throw (not by much unless it's very high, then up to 25).

Saving throw works vs some effects/spells. For example vs paralysis which you really should NOT rely on (get free action asap).

It also works vs cause wound spells, brain smashes, hands of doom (maybe some more).

It can also affect some nasty effects of the ty_curse which is probably why you want high saves the most.

There might be some notable exceptions. For example, if you're a demigod of Hera parentage, you can resist brain smash with a roll against wisdom.

The thing is, you'll typically either get an antimagic amulet which makes save bonuses pretty much pointless or you won't get them high enough to be reliable anyway. Unless maybe when you're a duelist.

Resistances give a separate decrease in damage (and some secondary effects too). There is very little overlap between saves and resistances (maybe none?).
Regalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017, 17:49   #3
delstrudo
Rookie

Thank you for the info Regalia!!
Old February 23, 2017, 18:20   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Note that if your saving throw reaches 100%, you become immune to all these effects including paralysis, and can lose free action. I've only done that a handful of times, as so often your best equipment includes FA anyway--e.g. via artifact gloves.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017, 18:45   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Note that if your saving throw reaches 100%, you become immune to all these effects including paralysis, and can lose free action. I've only done that a handful of times, as so often your best equipment includes FA anyway--e.g. via artifact gloves.
This may be true in Vanilla, but I wouldn't count on it in PosChengband; the two have radically different rules.

It also wouldn't surprise me in the least if PosChengband inherits from ZAngband the potential TY_CURSE effect of "summon Cyberdemons plus paralyze the player even if they have Free Action". There I believe the player does get a saving throw against the paralysis, so a 100% saving throw would save them (only for them to probably be bombarded by rockets the next turn).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017, 18:55   #6
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Yeah it's got that, or at least it's there for being blood-cursed. Hard to know in poschengband when you're at 100% anyway. For example on my priest it says Amber[7]. Pretty sure you get a bigger bonus from your class then the wisdom stat, though could be wrong. I think saves might also help against whirlpool spells? They can be pretty annoying.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017, 20:19   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The class bonus is roughly the same size as the max wisdom bonus. But the points from wisdom have a higher impact, since the difference between--say--90% and 95% is much more noticeable than between 45% and 50%.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017, 22:28   #8
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
There was a change in Poschengband at some point so that the ty_curse loop breaks either naturally, or upon summoning cyberdemons, or upon statue-ing you. So you can no longer actually die to ty_curse summoned cyberdemons while ty_curse paralyzed, though a non-cyberdemon summon into paralysis is still very often Bad.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017, 04:11   #9
delstrudo
Rookie

Hey figured would toss this in here, how about Anti-Magic? I know it blocks your character from casting spells but how about the positive?

Thanks again in advance!
Old February 28, 2017, 04:13   #10
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
It gives a super huge boost to saving throw and is very helpful if your character does not use 'm'agic.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote