Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 11, 2017, 15:08   #1
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
[Announce] PosChengband 6.1.0 Released

A new release (6.1.0) is up in the usual spot. Enough gameplay changes, some fairly major, have accrued to warrant a new minor version.

Changes this release include:
[1] Quest sequence in Angband is now random. You won't know what levels contain quest monsters. But, you can safely leave a quest level if you like and the quest monster will patiently await your return. You decide how to play this, but the game is more fun if you try to complete quests on the first attempt, only backing out if the foe is ridiculously OP (e.g. Malekith on DL35 before you have nether resistance).

[2] Rune Knight redesigned and even playtested. They are strong, but no more than many other classes (unless I am missing something?).

[3] Major changes to devices. End game devices are much harder than before to use, and the high device classes (mage, sorcerer, device master) will finally see some need for their high class device skills. Charmed Pendant restored to its original +2 status.

[4] Changes to melee and spell proficiency systems to smooth out level restrictions. Some players won't like any sort of spell proficiency system, so there is a new birth option to turn it off.

[5] Reforging: The game now uses slot-based power ratings. For example, melee weapons vs light sources. No longer can you reforge powerful slots into weak slots with impunity. This also applies when reforging strong items into weak weapons like daggers and falcon swords (e.g. ninjas). However, you might try reforging Vilya into a Blade of Chaos or even Diamond Edge and like the results, so it is not all bad.

[6] Rand/Replacement Arts: These also will use slot-based power ratings. Fixed a major bug with rand-art scoring after noticing how ridiculous end game rand-arts were becoming.

[7] Archery: Shots per round is completely determined by your base shooting skill (class *and* race/personality).

[8] Devices now have much better allocation. You can get lower level stuff in the end game rather than having effects just cut off abruptly. You should find 1 or 2 -Rockets in a normal game, but will never find more than 3 or 4. No longer will you get annoyingly frequent Beams of Disintegration (and others).

[9] Lots of oook requests addressed. You can do a git shortlog v6.1.0...v6.0.5 to see the details, but the following is worth mentioning: Press '@' at an object prompt to temporarily stop using inscriptions to override label choices.

[10] Stat sustains now help protect against nexus scrambles.

[11] Archery: Slings shoot slightly faster (1.40 vs 1.25).
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017, 22:16   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
[5] Reforging: The game now uses slot-based power ratings. For example, melee weapons vs light sources. No longer can you reforge powerful slots into weak slots with impunity. This also applies when reforging strong items into weak weapons like daggers and falcon swords (e.g. ninjas). However, you might try reforging Vilya into a Blade of Chaos or even Diamond Edge and like the results, so it is not all bad.

[6] Rand/Replacement Arts: These also will use slot-based power ratings. Fixed a major bug with rand-art scoring after noticing how ridiculous end game rand-arts were becoming.
Interesting, chris - have you seen this is just what I've done with V randarts?
Old May 11, 2017, 22:46   #3
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Interesting, chris - have you seen this is just what I've done with V randarts?
Why would an artist like chris look at the pedestrian commits of a game like Angband?
Old May 12, 2017, 00:56   #4
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
6.1.0 released already while I'm too busy with RL. Sigh...

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 05:22   #5
Ironshod Al
Scout

Ironshod Al is on a distinguished road
I have downloaded it and started a new game.
The one thing I like from the start it the addition of '@' in menus. [9] on the list. It solves a whole bunch of problems when I inscribe items using letters instead of numbers.
Ironshod Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 05:46   #6
nikheizen
Adept

nikheizen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
6.1.0 released already while I'm too busy with RL. Sigh...
Too busy with roguelikes to play poschengband?
nikheizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 08:30   #7
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Why would an artist like chris look at the pedestrian commits of a game like Angband?
Same reason I read your character dumps - everyone needs a laugh occasionally
Old May 12, 2017, 08:35   #8
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
I'm really not a fan of this device skill change, magic device skill was already incredibly important and staves of healing are *required* to win without going insane farming !healing. Do you really want all characters to have to equip amulets of magi for magic device skill? Even with reasonable device skill trash devices like nexus ball and dispel undead fail for 30%, they will see even less use (not that you can get less than zero). This makes undesirable races with poor device skill even worse, who would ever play a race like barbarian or zombie? There's a reason races with high HP and good device skill are the best. If you really really hate people using wands of rockets against the Serpent then give it rShards and make them use lower damage disintegration.

The thing is, this makes race/classes that were good only slightly worse, while making ones that were already bad far far worse.

Last edited by clouded; May 12, 2017 at 10:59.
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 08:50   #9
nikheizen
Adept

nikheizen is on a distinguished road
One thing which is really bothering me is that ammo breakage is given this blood red colour, something which should probably be reserved for dangerous stuff or fire. Same with the "All items are identified" message.
Nuisances shouldn't be in DANGER EMERGENCY BE CAREFUL red.

Last edited by nikheizen; May 17, 2017 at 11:02.
nikheizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 12:46   #10
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
Loving this flurry of progress on poschengband of late---fine work!
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote