AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 5, 2017, 05:06   #1
icefyre
Scout

icefyre is on a distinguished road
Question Calris?

Hello all,

My ranger is currently sporting "Aiglos" as his main melee weapon. I just found Calris which seems much worse in the damage department and heavily cursed to boot. However, the +5 con is very appealing in a weapon slot.

Does it make sense to hold on to Calris? How do I go about uncursing it?

Thanks!
icefyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017, 07:53   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Enchant it above +0, and the curse will break with 50% chance every time it works. Otherwise, a scroll of *Remove Curse* will work. Aggregation is a bigger problem until pretty late in the game, when you have unlimited teleport other and *Destruction*. But it makes a great swap weapon, especially when your other weapon is low-weight like Aiglos.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017, 16:30   #3
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
I dont think it's worth the bother. The stronger scrolls of *Enchant only show up late in the game, and you will soon be showered with weapons better than Aiglos.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017, 17:01   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Enchant it above +0, and the curse will break with 50% chance every time it works. Otherwise, a scroll of *Remove Curse* will work. Aggregation is a bigger problem until pretty late in the game, when you have unlimited teleport other and *Destruction*. But it makes a great swap weapon, especially when your other weapon is low-weight like Aiglos.
What does the aggregation curse do, roll up groups of weaker monsters into single more powerful monsters?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017, 17:16   #5
Huqhox
Apprentice

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
What does the aggregation curse do, roll up groups of weaker monsters into single more powerful monsters?
Could be nasty

The baby red dragon aggregates (x20)
The Greater Hell Wyrm breathes
You die
Old June 5, 2017, 18:19   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It's certainly worth keeping hold of. He's a ranger, so all he needs is CL35 and Tenser's to use it. And depending on which version he's playing, enchant may be available in the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
I dont think it's worth the bother. The stronger scrolls of *Enchant only show up late in the game, and you will soon be showered with weapons better than Aiglos.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017, 07:59   #7
joemaro
Rookie

joemaro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Otherwise, a scroll of *Remove Curse* will work.
Hello all! I was told on IRC that there is no *Remove Curse* on 4.0.5. Are you saying this about the dev-version or is there a *Remove Curse* ?

Thankful for clarifying and happy to form part of the forums:
joe
joemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017, 09:51   #8
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemaro View Post
Hello all! I was told on IRC that there is no *Remove Curse* on 4.0.5. Are you saying this about the dev-version or is there a *Remove Curse* ?

Thankful for clarifying and happy to form part of the forums:
joe
In 4.0.5, if I recall correctly, there is no remove curse, however, Enchant scrolls will remove curses. You can enchant Calris up on its to-hit stat as far as +15. Usually not worth it, in my opinion.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017, 14:40   #9
joemaro
Rookie

joemaro is on a distinguished road
Ok thanks for the clarification.

in my case i didn't know about the existence of cursed items, until i found&wielded the Zweihander 'Mormegil' (3d6) (-15,-15) [-10] <-10> , which ended that game because of no remove curse and enchant is too rare to enchant it enough.

Feels like an oversight in the design, but can't say how it can be fixed elegantly. (well maybe it has been fixed already i guess?)
joemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017, 14:56   #10
Huqhox
Apprentice

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemaro View Post
Ok thanks for the clarification.

in my case i didn't know about the existence of cursed items, until i found&wielded the Zweihander 'Mormegil' (3d6) (-15,-15) [-10] <-10> , which ended that game because of no remove curse and enchant is too rare to enchant it enough.

Feels like an oversight in the design, but can't say how it can be fixed elegantly. (well maybe it has been fixed already i guess?)
You've fixed it yourself. When you play from now on you know that Mormegil is cursed so don't wield it

Angband is unlike most games in that you have to learn how to play by playing it and finding what's good and bad by experience. That's why it can take years to notch up your first win, but that makes it all the sweeter.

Although yes, the new curse system in general is a considerable improvement over the old 'sticky' only curse (IMHO)

Tags
calris