AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old July 7, 2019, 22:18   #1
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
First game in a while, and off to a smooth start

At DL 52, CL32 and 34K player turns, with High-Elf Warrior, version 4.1.3. (I don't much care to play half-casters without resistance spells, so Warrior and Mage are pretty much it for me.)

What made it easy:
* Replacing (0,0) Main Gauche with Forasgil at DL 9(!)
* Finding boots of Elvenkind <+4> at DL 27, followed by Amras and
* a spectacular Elvenkind Cloak of Magi <+2,+4,+1>, with regeneration. 4 stealth and 1 speed make a huge difference.
* RBase at DL 11 from Arvedui
* And ESP at DL 30 from an ego hat, quickly replaced by Thranduil

And finally, this doesn't hurt:
* A Large Metal Shield [12,-1]
It means I stun or confuse about half the monsters, and more if I catch them asleep. Managed to kill Gorlim the Betrayer in melee without haste self (speed +6), and without any healing at all. Just stomped him in the first round of melee, and he went with barely a whimper.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2019, 01:15   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Oh nice! I was starting to stall out, trying to choose between Lotharang (260 dam/turn) and Barukheled (260 vs evil and a few more HP.) Then on DL 54, what should show up but Eowyn, for 295 vs evil. And this back to back with Carlammas, for 555HP.

Edit: Replaced =Strength with =Dex for more blows, sinc Eowyn gives plenty of STR. This gets me to 5.2 from 4.7 blows, and 312 vs evil.

Last edited by Pete Mack; July 8, 2019 at 01:25.
Old July 8, 2019, 20:55   #3
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Very nice. Recently I played a standart game, as well....not intentionally, I realized I had forgotten to set randarts at birth when at a similar depth than for you the */5 feeling turned out to be caused by a *thanc dagger. I distinctly remember that it also replaced a (0,0) main gauche.

I had some fun with it, got Wrath soon after from Lokkak and later the GoP - but I didnt finish that @; not many con potions during the run meant I was looking toward a lengthy grind.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2019, 21:20   #4
Gauss
Apprentice

Gauss is on a distinguished road
Lol, i don't know why in my last games i always get my first randart at DL 30 or so.
Such a bad luck i have.
Gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2019, 01:24   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

@Gauss-
It doesn't matter that much. I lost that character to "bad luck"--a teleport into a room with a 150' corridor going straight to a pit full of nexus breathers. They breathed; I died. Yeah, I shouldnt have teleported at dl 60. But I was down to very few guaranteed escapes, and I had a good chance of survival for a single jump. So YASD, but also bad luck.

Then I started again, and ended up with Narthanc at DL 22 and Cammithrim at DL 34, with very little in between. Now I am using Dagmor and to RoDamage at DL 40. Yet the biggest lack in comparison with last game isn't artifacts; it's those glorious early <+4,+2> Boots of Elvenkind. I even have ESP since DL 24, on a swap weapon. But without those boots I am a whole lot weaker.
Old July 10, 2019, 02:05   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet

version 4.1.3:
Just went down to level 68, and who do I see with a rod of detection on my first turn? Smaug the Golden, whom I killed at DL 64. I know that Enchantresses (and perhaps others) can shape-change into him, but surely they only do so after encountering the player?

Things are getting seriously hairy. No CON items found except a lousy Armor of Dwarvenkind and some Rings +3 (none which I am not bothering to use.) And only +3 speed, from Collanon and Amras. I have been diving hoping to find un-IDed rings. And *something* with useful CON. 545 HP and Speed 3 isn't particularly good for a Mage at this depth, let alone a warrior!
Old July 10, 2019, 02:15   #7
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
version 4.1.3:
Just went down to level 68, and who do I see with a rod of detection on my first turn? Smaug the Golden, whom I killed at DL 64. I know that Enchantresses (and perhaps others) can shape-change into him, but surely they only do so after encountering the player?
Yes, that's a concern (assuming you mean latest master). I don't suppose you have a relevant savefile?
Old July 10, 2019, 02:54   #8
Pete Mack
Prophet

It's just a straight download of 4.1.3 source code compiled on an Android Linux VM (in curses mode, obviously.)

I can upload a savefile--with some difficulty--if you like. I stopped playing when I saw this. (I fear I will have to install link/lynx or equivalent to do the upload from the VM, but I have been meaning to do it so that I can post characters anyway.)
Old July 10, 2019, 03:01   #9
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
It's just a straight download of 4.1.3 source code compiled on an Android Linux VM (in curses mode, obviously.)

I can upload a savefile--with some difficulty--if you like. I stopped playing when I saw this. (I fear I will have to install link/lynx or equivalent to do the upload from the VM, but I have been meaning to do it so that I can post characters anyway.)
It would be helpful - I would also need your randart file if you're playing with randarts. And just to clarify - this is source of latest (or at least recent) master, rather than 4.1.3 release (of more than a year ago)?
Old July 10, 2019, 04:57   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Hmm. There are a variety of problems, but the foremost is that I have no idea where save files are stored. There is a ~/.angband directory, but it only has an empty directory structure, as is angband-dir/lib/user/save