Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 11, 2019, 13:18   #21
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
If you have hold life or access to !restore, you can think about fighting drainers; if not, those have to join the others on the long list of monsters to be avoided.

There is a hierarchy of importance on the way to and endgame character; the top tier includes free action and resist poison because lacking those poses the greatest danger of dying.

Other modifiers, while useful to have, are not essential and can be considered luxuries. This includes hold life and pconf. Getting confused increses the danger of death immediately, but as long as you have a staff of teleportation you are probably going to survive. Not having poison resistance when the drolem breathes means instant death by massive damage.

Many winners never have had hold life or pconf during their career, but I am sure everyone who killed M had resist fire or poison for the majority of their lifetime.

So dont look for hold life; look for things that bring you closer to being able to fight M, in your case its stat potions and a better weapon and pick up luxury mods if you find them lying by the way.

Your best weapon currently is Avavir, because of the +3 speed. This changes if you get more speed from other sources as the impact of +3 becomes less with higher base speed. Paur gloves can go.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 14:25   #22
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
... and sven free action isn't necessary with a 100% saving throw. The most important things are HP, damage, and speed. Work around them to get the other things you need, and then the things you might want.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 17:51   #23
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I don't think I've ever been in a position where I went without Free Action because of a 100% saving throw. Mostly because by the time you get to 100% saving throw, it's very unlikely that you won't "accidentally" have multiple sources of FA.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019, 09:33   #24
wizard44
Apprentice

wizard44 is on a distinguished road
YASD #4: Getting Knocked out by a master mystic leaves me with NO chance to escape.

Thanks again for the input. Unfortunately, this character is dead due to a very unfair mechanic of getting knocked out.

Recalled back to D:52, where I ran into Ji Indur Dawndeath and teleported him away to avoid trouble with him. I also run into Medusa the Gorgon and teleport away from her and have one of my staves of speed destroyed by an 11-headed hydra. Not wishing to risk getting caught by those uniques, I descend to D:53, where I kill an Ethereal Dragon at a cost of a staff of speed charge, and descend to D:54 where there was nothing else interesting. It is there that I find a scroll of *Destruction*, and take out an emperor wight and get a much needed Potion of Constitution for my trouble, which I drink. I also get a potion of Healing on the level and proceed to D:55. It is there that I kill an ice elemental to get to level 36 and teleport away Baphomet, the Minotaur Lord and the Balrog of Moria. I get surprised by a master mystic and use Phase door to get away, but before I fully healed up with my potions, I get surprised by the master mystic and get knocked out, which left me with NO chance to get away a second time and got me killed. Wow, that is seriously unfair and a bad way to get killed. I personally feel that getting hit enough times should allow me to wake up sooner, but no. Instead, I get instakilled.

Ladder has been updated, and I will again refrain from starting another character for a few days, as I feel that I'm getting worse at surviving rather than better.

Last edited by wizard44; April 12, 2019 at 09:46.
wizard44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019, 11:03   #25
Estie
Veteran

Right, the stun mechanic - mystics of the higher types and yellow Z are to be avoided, especially when you are slow. Technically its not 1-hit kill but you need to be aware that stacking up on stuns leads to KO.

Sorry to hear of your @´s demise, if it is any comfort, I think that everyone here has died to stun KO at least once. I certainly have.
Old April 12, 2019, 15:48   #26
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If it's any comfort, I feel like you took considerably less time and advice to get to this point.

I'm not really a fan of the knocked-out status, but really mostly because it's not at all clear in-game that if you don't clear the Stun/Heavy Stun status, you're in danger of an unresistable KO. Stunning is a pretty nasty status ailment, though. It makes you worse at pretty much anything that has a random chance of success -- your to-hit, to-dam, spell cast failure rate, device use rate, etc. all get worse, and not by small amounts.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019, 20:31   #27
Estie
Veteran

On a sidenote, because the topic came up above: I actually have one of the rare cases where a) FA is not needed because of 100% saving throw and b) the best setup doesnt automatically cover FA:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22450

It is not the first time this happened to me, but it is very rare and I dont think I have had it happen with a non-priest character. And it involves randarts, of course; with standart artifacts it is even more unlikely.

Sorry for the little hijack.
Old April 12, 2019, 22:57   #28
Hounded
Rookie

Hounded is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
... I think that everyone here has died to stun KO at least once. I certainly have.
Once. After that I filed Grand Master Mystics somewhere near Jelly Pits in my consideration of the value of facing them.
Old April 13, 2019, 01:15   #29
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I think it's fun risking them sometimes. I've died from being knocked out by a mystic at least three or four times.