Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 7, 2019, 21:57   #1
Goaticus
Rookie

Goaticus is on a distinguished road
Extra Shots 4.1.3

I've seen references to "extra shots nerf" in several posts. I did a quick forum search but could not find any details. Can anyone explain how a Heavy Crossbow of Extra Shots (+1 shot) works nowadays?

Inspecting my bolts indicates the extra shots crossbow (+x, +11) does more damage per round than my power crossbow (+x, +22). Testing firing bolts at monsters confirms the +22 does more damage per shot but unclear to me how "rounds" are working now. Can I trust the inspect values?

I'm a returning player from 2.7.x days -- ok, I dabbled a bit in 3.x days -- so my knowledge of game mechanics is a little out of date
Goaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2019, 22:13   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaticus View Post
I've seen references to "extra shots nerf" in several posts. I did a quick forum search but could not find any details. Can anyone explain how a Heavy Crossbow of Extra Shots (+1 shot) works nowadays?
The extra shots nerf has come in post-4.1.3, so you won't see it unless you're playing the nightly versions. The way it works is that each + to shots is 1/10 of a shot, and the values that things get have been scaled up a bit. So, for example, bows of extra shots get between +2 and +10 to shots, which means they're at best +1 under the old system.
Old April 7, 2019, 22:16   #3
Goaticus
Rookie

Goaticus is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Extra shots +1 it is! That'll free up an extra space in my house!
Goaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2019, 00:12   #4
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
i still think the nerf was excessive. we needed some nerfing ok, but not this much.
Old April 8, 2019, 00:42   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
At this point it's just a matter of refining how many extra shots they give. +.1 shots/round is a pretty trivial boost (it's like +1 speed that only applies to shooting), but +1 shots/round is gigantic. So somewhere in the middle is probably where we should be aiming most of the time.

Something else to consider is that because shots have been nerfed, there's more room to play with other damage enhancers for missile weapons. Previously we couldn't get too nuts with slays, extra might, etc. because of the possibility they'd be doubled or tripled by extra shots.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019, 02:58   #6
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I've actually warmed up quite a bit to the new extra shots. On paper it seemed boring and disappointing, but playing, it's actually still quite noticeable, as far as the free extra shots that increase as @ levels; and I like that it kicks in early on in the game. Still, I do like Derakon's idea of other bonuses that bows could get. Has Belthronding been buffed at all in 4.1.3 or does it still have +1 shots? If not, maybe it could get extra might.
Old April 19, 2019, 18:09   #7
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
At this point it's just a matter of refining how many extra shots they give. +.1 shots/round is a pretty trivial boost (it's like +1 speed that only applies to shooting), but +1 shots/round is gigantic. So somewhere in the middle is probably where we should be aiming most of the time.

Something else to consider is that because shots have been nerfed, there's more room to play with other damage enhancers for missile weapons. Previously we couldn't get too nuts with slays, extra might, etc. because of the possibility they'd be doubled or tripled by extra shots.
for the record in PCBlikes we have +0.15 shots per unit of pval, I think it capped at +3 in PCB, +4 in FCPB and +5 in CPB.

So currently V is being more generous, but the comparison would also need to consider things like rarity depth +hit +dam and availabilty of other options.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote