Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2010, 16:33   #1
Kurogane
Rookie
 
Kurogane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5
Kurogane is on a distinguished road
Help start development

Hey guys,

I'm clearly a new member here (horray for 1st post), and me and a few of my classmates in University are working on Angband as a semester project. We're all starting to get Angband to compile correctly, but we're wondering what's the best method to help out with developing Angband? We've joined the IRC Chats and checked out the WIKI and the update goal list, what's the best 1st step?
Kurogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010, 17:05   #2
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,795
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Hey, awesome! Sounds like a good project to me.

Angband development isn't terribly focused at the moment, though. I'd recommend getting into contact with one of the devs who has commit access and asking what items they have on their to-do lists. Alternately, this page (and this subpage) have some good things to look into.

One thing that could be interesting to try which was mentioned recently is adding more special room types. Special rooms are the rooms that aren't just open rectangles, but aren't as complicated as vaults. They encompass pillared rooms, moated rooms (with various interiors, e.g. checkerboard, single internal room, double internal room), cross-shaped rooms, etc. Adding more special rooms would vary dungeon generation nicely without having an impact on game balance.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010, 17:07   #3
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer
 
camlost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 522
camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurogane View Post
Hey guys,

I'm clearly a new member here (horray for 1st post), and me and a few of my classmates in University are working on Angband as a semester project. We're all starting to get Angband to compile correctly, but we're wondering what's the best method to help out with developing Angband? We've joined the IRC Chats and checked out the WIKI and the update goal list, what's the best 1st step?
What is it you're trying to accomplish? Are you planning on forking and working on a variant? Do you want to fix bugs? Do you want to get a feel for working on an OSS project?

If you haven't yet, you should probably get the working development version from Github and get it to compile.

http://github.com/takkaria/angband
__________________
a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}
camlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010, 17:26   #4
Kurogane
Rookie
 
Kurogane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5
Kurogane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
What is it you're trying to accomplish? Are you planning on forking and working on a variant? Do you want to fix bugs? Do you want to get a feel for working on an OSS project?

If you haven't yet, you should probably get the working development version from Github and get it to compile.

http://github.com/takkaria/angband
We plan on starting this out by working on bugs while getting a feel of how the program works, meanwhile it'll help us, like you said, get a feel for helping develop an OSS.

Once we start to feel more comfortable and get a better understanding of Angband, we'd love to help the goal list for the next update. But to be honest I don't think we can contribute that much right off the bat, fixing bugs seems like a slightly easier task to hit first off.
Kurogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010, 18:28   #5
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,002
fizzix is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure there's been much progress on the project of changing weapon and monster memory so that it's easier to find the info you want. Some posts describing it are on this page (8) of this thread:

http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthr...?t=3574&page=8

I think this would be a pretty good project, will not affect gameplay, and is sorely needed.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010, 19:47   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Alternatively you can try this page: http://trac.rephial.org/query?status...ngetime&owner= - this is a considerably more detailed list of bugs, feature requests and desired coding changes, and it's way more current than the rephial pages. There are currently 288 of them without owners (and about 75 more with owners). Please feel free to pick any one of these and fix or implement it in your git branch - post a link to that on #angband-dev and someone will test it and merge it back into main if it works.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010, 20:44   #7
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
If you really want to be helpful, figure out the visibility code and fix it or rewrite it.

Currently things do not work, e.g.
Code:
#@##
#.#.
.#.#
#.#x
The @ can target the x if it is shown via a detection spell, without any trick shots, but it does not show up as visible even on a lit square.

This is more of a project than just finding and fixing a random bug, but it might be suitable if you want something substantial but not too big.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2010, 01:42   #8
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
If you really want to be helpful, figure out the visibility code and fix it or rewrite it.

Currently things do not work, e.g.
Code:
#@##
#.#.
.#.#
#.#x
The @ can target the x if it is shown via a detection spell, without any trick shots, but it does not show up as visible even on a lit square.

This is more of a project than just finding and fixing a random bug, but it might be suitable if you want something substantial but not too big.
What Eddie is saying here is that it is the targetting that needs fixing, not the visibility. Make it impossible to target if it is not visible preventing the "hockey stick" -method of killing things. Asymmetric targetting should still stay IE:

Code:
#####
#..@.
#x###
@ can shoot x but x can't shoot @ (because it can't see @, which makes sense).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2010, 02:53   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
What Eddie is saying here is that it is the targetting that needs fixing, not the visibility. Make it impossible to target if it is not visible preventing the "hockey stick" -method of killing things. Asymmetric targetting should still stay IE:

Code:
#####
#..@.
#x###
@ can shoot x but x can't shoot @ (because it can't see @, which makes sense).
My example is the same as yours, just 1 longer. IMO either both are hockeysticks or neither. However, this is not the gist of what I think they should work on. I don't think a new participant should be worrying about asymmetric stuff people have been arguing over for ages. Deciding the rules for what is targetable should be solely in Takkaria's control. I'm talking about addressing the game as it is now.

In any case, I believe that what is targetable definitely ought to be a subset of what is in LOS. I can't imagine anyone arguing otherwise except for the sake of tweaking me.

There is work going on about making a more accurate distance function, and somehow that screws up visibility. Providing a well-built scheme for visibility that can accomodate whatever targeting and visibility rules may be decided in the future is a laudable goal in itself, even if it doesn't result in any changes noticeable by the player.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 00:49   #10
Kurogane
Rookie
 
Kurogane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5
Kurogane is on a distinguished road
Right, I defiantly will be looking at the bug list and fixing things here and there.

As for contacting a developer with commit access, anyone in particular I should contact? I have no idea who would have it - it sounds like Takkaria might be someone?
Kurogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Somewhat good start. Twilight Vanilla 13 July 2, 2010 15:37
Start at clvl/dlvl 20 Derakon Vanilla 73 May 14, 2010 16:26
Angband doesn't start Narvius Vanilla 15 December 19, 2008 14:18
Can't start 3.0.9 Iren Vanilla 4 February 22, 2008 09:54
[FA] A Good Start! Slonk AAR 0 October 20, 2007 22:20


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.