Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 9, 2019, 09:38   #11
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Character looks fine to me. Aranruth and Forasgil can go. I doubt you'll use Gurthang either, decent dragonslayer but bad allaround weapon and you don't have enough STR/DEX to make it worthwhile. -thancs do slightly more damage against undead and some demons than Dagmor. But I don't think that makes them worth carrying. If you don't mind switching, then why not. I dunno

I would carry <+3> STR ring, however. For dreads and ninja/dagashi. Unless you think you don't have to conserve those 2 restoring mushrooms.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2019, 10:32   #12
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I’m still using Dagmor, but which artifacts weapons could deal more damage given higher strength and dexterity scores that could be boosted over time? And which artifact weapons should be ditched, period at this point?
As you gain in str/dey, a heavier weapon will always increase more in damage than a light one which means you can safely ditch your daggers and Forasgil.
Only Gurthang might become competitive later with its double brand and *slay* dragon.

See what your damage looks like when you replace the damage ring with str ring; it might be close enough to justify having str sustained.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 07:59   #13
wizard44
Apprentice

wizard44 is on a distinguished road
Thansk for the input folks. Bought another staff of teleportation as a backup. Forasgil, Narthanc, and Dethanc get the boot. The damage is actually worse if the Ring of Strength replace the Ring of Damage, so the current setup stands for now. Barel now has a source of confusion resistance and has actually gone beyond D:38 quite a bit!

Complete N00b’s Journey: Part 4-5

I begin by getting another Scroll of Recharging and Recalling back to D:36 where I take out a group of tigers and displacer beasts. I then get another potion of Healing and 2 Potions of Restore Life Levels from a nearby room, and kill a death quasit. I then run smack dab into Kim, Son of Mim, who went down to Shoot n’ Scoot and drops a Black Dragon Scale Mail. I then kill a couple white dragons and red dragons of the mature and baby kind to get to level 31. I then go to D:37 and kill several ghouls before I quaff-id a Potion of Enlightenment. I have my scrolls of teleport level destroyed by a smoke elemental, and get weakened by a ninja that popped out of nowhere. D:38 had a chest that had the Short Bow of Armas (x3) (+12, +15) along with 30 (+2,+5) Arrows, as well as a group of impact hounds that do a number on my hit points. I teleport away a Demonic qwythulg and a 9-headed hydra to get a better Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy (x4) (+27, +17). Not wanting to risk dealing with the out-of-depth creatures AND Bill, Bert, and Tom the stone troll that I detected with a staff of Detect Evil, I descend to D:39 with the first staircase that I find and kill a master vampire, who drops a Potion of Constitution (which I happily drink) and another potion of Healing. I have a semi-close call with two xarens that required quaffing of two potions of Cure Critical Wounds. I am also forced to teleport two out of depth vampire lords, that also take me by surprise, forcing me to descend downstairs to avoid them. I end up getting ambushed by dreads and ninjas on D:40, forcing me to use even more charges of Teleport Other and getting strength drained. Luckily, a nearby Potion of Brawn fixes that error at the cost of Dexterity. I take on an undead horde and find a Lantern of True Sight and run into a Knight Templar that forces me to quaff a Potion of Healing after casting cure critical wounds on me before I can kill it. Clearing a nearby vault that contained a sorcerer and another knight Templar reveals a quaff-id’d potion of Healing and another staff of Speed. After killing a black wraith, I head down to D:41 to begin my hunt for confusion resistance. A patriarch summons a ancient green dragon and a master vampire before dying. I teleport away the ancient green dragon and kill the master vampire after getting drained by 6000 experience points. I find the Iron Helm ‘Holhenneth’ [7, +10] <+2>, which solves my confusion problem. After getting teleported by a nexus qwythulg, I come face to face with the ancient green dragon and kill it. I also face a Knight Templar and get the Small Metal Shield of Thorin [5, +25] <+3 STR, +4 CON, -1 Stealth>, which really helped things. I also find a chest containing the Set of Gauntlets ‘Parunen’ (+3, +3) [3, +14] and kill a group of ologs to get to level 32. After clearing the level and finding nothing else, I move to D:42, where I find two potions of Brawn to further boost my strength at the cost of dexterity and wisdom. I then take out a group of mumaks and clear a vault to get a fresh set of enchanted bolts (+5, +6) and descend to D:43. It is there that I take out a couple of baby multi-hued dragons, a mature mutli-hued dragons, 2 vampire lords (that drain my experience quite a bit), a room of undead, hounds of various flavors, and Castimir the Usurper, who drops nothing of use. I then clear another vault and find a staff of banishment, a scroll of teleportation, a Potion of Strength, a Potion of Intelligence, and a Potion of Enlightenment that reveals nothing else of note. With an ancient multi-hued dragon on my tail, I make a mad dash to the downstairs staircase to D:44, where I get into a close call with a death knight and use Potion of Healing to restore enough hp to survive a melee, since a potion of cure Critical Wounds was not enough to keep up with the nether bolts that it cast. I find a rod of Detection and a potion of *Healing*, which fills up my pack and forces me to recall back to the surface to drop off my gear. Once back at the town, I give-id a wand of Disable Traps, deposit my lantern of True Sight, heavy crossbow of accuracy and Potion of *Healing*, ditch my long bow of Power and aranruth, get enough arrows from my home so that I have 80 shots and get my potions of Cure Serious Wounds, recharge my staves of detect evil, speed and banishment, buy 5 potions of resist poison for id purposes, recover my lost experience by buying a potion of Restore life levels and realize that I am now at level 33, and end the part.

So the goal for this next part is: Get to D:50, and hope to find either plenty of Restore Life Levels Potions or a source of Hold Life.

Big lesson learned for the next dive: Avoid vampire lords like the plague for now. They take waay too long to kill and are not worth the exp drain. Is this a correct assumption for my character?

Which digging tool is the best for me to carry (if I should even carry one in the first place). A mattock? A wand of Stone to Mud?

Which monsters/uniques should I look for at this point? And which ones should I avoid?

Barel's status on the ladder has been updated, and any tips/answers to the above questions are welcome.
wizard44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 10:39   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Re vampire lords: yes. They are very tough for their level, as are any liches except the basic one, and they all drain dexterity and charges. W amd G tend to have less HP, tho they too have attacks with nasty side effects.

Re digging: a ring of digging. It is super cheesy, but it is by far the best digger. Eventually you will have enough strength that you don't even need that.

Inscribe ('{' command) your helmet and rod of detection with !! This will alert you when they recharge and you can detect again. Don't forget the helmet! It has a faster recharge time.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 11:02   #15
Estie
Veteran

Quote:
Big lesson learned for the next dive: Avoid vampire lords like the plague for now. They take waay too long to kill and are not worth the exp drain. Is this a correct assumption for my character?
I like to carry !restore life level and if those are available vampire lords can be decent targets. Sliver them in melee, disengage (either let it flee or us ?phase), drink !restore and finish it off with a shot or a well timed first swing. As always, @ needs to be strong enough - if you have to drink !healing, you are not.

The same procedure applies to many undead, importantly Adunaphel who is worth killing even if it requires some consumables because a) she usually carries worthwhile treasure and b) due to her passwall ability and her light sleep she can be a real party pooper later on.

Quote:
Which digging tool is the best for me to carry (if I should even carry one in the first place). A mattock? A wand of Stone to Mud?
Wand. Digging manually takes time and by the time a corridor is finished, everything in the vicinity is awake. A wand can be used to quickly create a shortcut or in a hockey stick position to the nasty monster on the other side of the rock.

If there is a GV you want to tackle and it requires heavy digging to reach the entrance, Dagmor should serve. If you are too weak yet to affect granite, move on - there are plenty more vaults ahead.

Quote:
Which monsters/uniques should I look for at this point? And which ones should I avoid?
From here on, everything native to the depth is to be avoided. Here is a list of monsters sorted by their native depth:

http://thangorodrim.net/spoilers/monsters_short.html

I dont have that memorized, I just have a genearl feeling for danger from long experience, so to answer a question like yours precisely, I would have to look it up myself.
Old April 10, 2019, 11:03   #16
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The damage is actually worse if the Ring of Strength replace the Ring of Damage, so the current setup stands for now.
By telling I would carry ring of STR, I certainly didn't mean increasing damage but sustaining strength against said opponents. It'd be a switch ring because I would not move around having STR equipped instead of rPois either. I've done that, died to that and had this community lecture me about it

I've not being thoroughly specific with my advice, I know. Been corrected here many times by far better players.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 11:07   #17
Estie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Re digging: a ring of digging. It is super cheesy, but it is by far the best digger. Eventually you will have enough strength that you don't even need that.
This, very much - a ring combines the best of both pick and wand.
Old April 11, 2019, 02:05   #18
wizard44
Apprentice

wizard44 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tips folks! The character has made it to D:52, but still does not have a source of hold life.

Complete N00b’s Journey: Part 4-6

I recall back to D:44, where I meet Ulfang the black, whose summons overwhelm me with a patriarch and a ranger chieftain doing heavy damage and forcing some Phase Dooring before I could stabilize the situation and kill Ulfang. Unfortunately, Ulfang’s drops were not useful. A knight Templar and a ranger chieftain further strain my Phase Door supplies and force me to use most of my potions of Cure Serious Wounds to stave off the attack. However, I was rewarded with a Potion of Intelligence (which I quaffed) and a potion of *Healing*, so it was a wash. I kill another ranger chieftain to get 2 Potions of Enlightenment and another potion of *Healing* before heading down to D:45. I am greeted with omens of death, prompting me with the mindset to find the nearest staircase and descend. I get hit by a time vortex, which drains my experience, and a pack of vibration hounds. After killing the group, I get to D:46, where I find and read-id a scroll of *Destruction*. A draconic qwythulg summons an ancient multi-hued dragon, prompting me to get the hell out of this level and down to D:47. It is there that I get teleported by a nexus quwthulg, but luckily my use of a staff of teleportation teleports right back to the nexus qwythulg and allows me to kill it and get a nearby potion of Speed. I also find and quaff a Potion of Strength. The level contained nothing of else of use, so I went on to D:48, where I kill a beholder and find Potions of dragon breath. I also kill Uvatha, the Horseman, who went down to a lot of arrows and a finishing melee blow, and read-id a scroll of Banishment. I then head to D:49, where I find yet another potion of Strength and kill Scatha the Wurm, which gets me to level 34 and the Scythe ‘Avavir’ (5d3) (+18, +12) [+30] <+3 dex, +3 speed, +1 light> at the cost of a Potion of Healing that was destroyed from a frost breath. I also find and read-id a scroll of mass banishment, and a Potion of Constitution from killing a sorcerer. I also find and kill Lorgan, Chief of the Easterlings, who drops nothing of use. I also have a close call with Kavlax, the many headed, who forces me to use my last Potion of Healing to kill it and drops the set of Gantlets ‘Paurhach’ upon its death [3, +14]. I blow up one of my staves of speed by failed recharging and use my staff of banishment to banish away the ants surrounding the Queen Ant, who dies to melee. I then go to D:50 where I find a spare staff of Speed, a potion of *Healing*, 2 Potions of Healing, a scroll of Holy Prayer that I read-id, and take out an ancient multi-hued dragon after using a couple of Staff of Speed charges. I then take out a great Crystal drake using 2 potions of Healing and my last potion of Cure Critical Wounds to survive the shards onslaught. It drops two scrolls of *Enchant Armour*, which I use towards my artifact helmet and cloak. I then proceed to take out a host of dark elves, and get a potion of Wisdom, another potion of *Healing*, and 3 poitons of Cure Serious Wounds by the time I clear the room. I then teleport away Smaug the Golden, and read-id a Scroll of *Enchant Weapon* to finish off the level. I then descend to D:51 and continue my search for a source of hold life. I find a scroll of *Enchant Armour* that I use on my artifact gloves, and a fresh set of arrows that were (+9, +6). I then take out Tom, Bill, and Bert, the stone trolls, who drop a scroll of *Destruction* as the only useful item. I then find an Iron Shot Boots of Speed [4, +12] <+4>, a Potion of Dexterity, and run into a death mold that disenchants my short sword Dagmor, which I manage to partially restore in damage with a scroll of *Enchant Weapon*. I then finally take on Smaug, the Golden after finding Potions of Resist heat, which proves to be rather difficult, as his fire breaths destroy my staff of Banishment and forces me to use one of my potions of Healing to take him out. His death drops, however, are not useful. I then proceed to descend to D:52, where I encounter Dwar, Lord of Waw and decide to Recall back up to town. Once there, I drop my potions of Speed, and *Healing*, Identify Rune, *Destruction*, buy 30 Potions of Cure Light Wounds since there was no other HP-restoring potions in stock as well as some Arrows of Slay Animal and a Mushroom of Vigor, and use my last Restore Life Levels potion to gain back drained experience, where I somehow realize that I reached level 35 along the way.

The goal is to get to D:58 and definitely try to get a source of hold life or a stash of Potions of Restore Life Levels. What are the best items that provide this, and where are the levels that I can most likely find them and Potions of Restore Life Levels?

Which artifacts (gloves/weapons) right now are worth keeping at some point later on?

Barel’s status on the ladder has been updated, and any tips/answers to the above questions are welcome.
wizard44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 11:15   #19
Gauss
Apprentice

Gauss is on a distinguished road
I don't remeber the exact name but i once found an amulet with my high elf paladin that sustained life and all stats. It was wonderful since i suffered a lot from stat drainers that continuously left my charcter too weak. Found it at dl 83 if it helps. Looking at your status you should search a better amulet. +2 infravision is too weak. Also i would equip the +8 dmg ring instead of the resist poison ring.
Hope this helps.
Gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 11:32   #20
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
I don't remeber the exact name but i once found an amulet with my high elf paladin that sustained life and all stats. It was wonderful since i suffered a lot from stat drainers that continuously left my charcter too weak. Found it at dl 83 if it helps.
Amulet of Sustenance
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote