Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 22, 2014, 14:36   #11
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
The early game is not far too important. While you are more likely to die there, you waste about as much time there as anywhere else.
Hit dice is obviously the most important trait. Hit dice is the only thing that cannot be improved with equipment, hit dice determines HP, and HP determines survival. You cannot win without first surviving.
Sustain strength is handy for the simple reason that most dangerous monsters drain that, and it is hardest to recover from. I have spent time at dlvl 55 with a clvl 30 priest with only the basic books at -5 speed. A hilarious experience.
Regen might be the most important early game trait Trolls have, because it allows you to survive fights that would be impossible otherwise, and you don't waste as much time resting. It also leaves you with more disposable mana than you would expect. Oddly enough, it's not entirely easy to find on artifacts you would like to use, which makes it handy later on as well.
Insane base CON helps you survive while maxing stats, where troll CON will give a multiplier and noone else's will.
In comparison, troll STR can be handy early to avoid slowing, but with no_selling, that's not quite as much a problem as it used to be.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018, 11:03   #12
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
I had a stupid Angband question, searched on the phrase, and discovered an old thread -- which I started myself, go figure. It's not noon yet and I haven't used my (very basic) C in so long that I don't feel like trying to decipher the source files, so here are a few more stupid questions.

* In the help files, it says that Hobbits are especially good with slings -- but is that actually true, or is that just shameless racial stereotyping? Does the game *actually* give Hobbits a bonus if they're using a sling?

* Likewise, do Rangers actually get a bonus with bows? With regular bows only, or with crossbows as well?
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018, 12:40   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglibertine View Post
In the help files, it says that Hobbits are especially good with slings -- but is that actually true, or is that just shameless racial stereotyping? Does the game *actually* give Hobbits a bonus if they're using a sling?
No - although they do get the second best missile weapon skill after high-elves.

Quote:
Likewise, do Rangers actually get a bonus with bows? With regular bows only, or with crossbows as well?
In 4.1.2 (and as long as I can remember before) rangers get an extra shot at CL20 and another at CL40, but only with short/long bows.
Old April 8, 2018, 13:58   #14
gglibertine
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
No - although they do get the second best missile weapon skill after high-elves.
That's what I thought, but I'd never got round to verifying it.

Quote:
In 4.1.2 (and as long as I can remember before) rangers get an extra shot at CL20 and another at CL40, but only with short/long bows.
Right, I'd seen that bit, I just wondered if they had other advantages that I didn't know about.

Thank you, once again, for answering my stupid questions.
Old April 8, 2018, 14:38   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Two extra shots is huge. Beyond that, they get all the buffing and detection spells of a Rogue, plus two more big ones: *Destruction* and Glyph of warding. To make up for it a little, their melee and HP are mediocre. Starting rangers are quite weak. Endgame rangers are massively overpowered.

Quote:
Right, I'd seen that bit, I just wondered if they had other advantages that I didn't know about.

Thank you, once again, for answering my stupid questions.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018, 15:58   #16
gglibertine
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Two extra shots is huge. Beyond that, they get all the buffing and detection spells of a Rogue, plus two more big ones: *Destruction* and Glyph of warding. To make up for it a little, their melee and HP are mediocre. Starting rangers are quite weak. Endgame rangers are massively overpowered.
Oh yeah. I'm not suggesting otherwise, I just wasn't sured.

Having only reached the endgame stage a couple of times, mostly I just know you have to be really fast and loaded up with resistances, have lots of ranged attacks, and be effective against demons and undead.

I suck at games. Angband is the only one I play. I might never win, but I doubt I'll ever give up trying because I enjoy it so much, ASCII and all.
Old April 10, 2018, 12:42   #17
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
As someone who was drawn to Angband by its lore and who aligns himself with the good races (hobbits and elves please!) it took me a looong time before I would even consider not scoffing at Half-trolls even being an option in the game, but once someone recommended (probably Derakon) that I try it, and I finally did, I haven't tooked back. Every once in awhile I'll try different combos, but HT Warrior really is by far the most enjoyable class combo for me.

Things I like about it: The early game is really easy (shouldn't games start out easy and get harder?) As Derakon says, it's great, satisfying fun just running around and crushing everything you see. It's also more exciting not having good detection, because more scary things can happen to you while you are bludgeoning everything in sight.

I love the early game, but I also love the late game when I'm doing up to 900 damage to most things per round. I also like that HT/Warriors are versatile, so when I find a really good launcher I'm at least pretty good at using it.

I find the other class/combos to require far too much time and patience to repeat them regularly, though I do enjoy them from time to time. But at some point while playing a Mage I just stop and say "why am I taking so much time and bother to rest up all the time between assaults on this unique when I could just be bashing his head in as a HT/Warrior and be done with it?" It's just hard for me to justify the trouble of playing other class/combos.

I started winning Angband regularly when I started taking seriously the advice on these boards.

EDIT: HT/Warriors can be so powerful that you can beat Morgoth without any banish/mbanish/rune/destruction scrolls without too much trouble if you have the speed, AC and damage output (which one often does when playing Randarts). It's another reason I like to play them; it's more satisfying to just kill the things instead of banishing them. And I often find all the gear I need to win the game by DL70 because I've killed so many uniques and gotten so many good drops by then, even while playing with forced descent on.

I mean, ultimately the game comes down to damage and health; and HT Warriors have both of these in spades.

Oh, and Lances are 30 pounds and Maces of Disruption are 40 pounds. And recently I just noticed how good the dice on Katanas are for their weight; by far the best dice to weight ratio (they only weigh 12 pounds but have 3D5!) Oddly, though, it's rarely beneficial to wield them as a HT/Warrior over lighter weapons (early) or heavier weapons later. Dunno why, though; just usually find some other good artifact weapon.

Part of the problem with the weapons system in Angband is that light weapons are useful too deep into the game. Angband would be much more interesting if daggers and spears and the like would max out in blows much earlier and do much less damage than the heavier weapons.

Last edited by Grotug; April 10, 2018 at 12:58.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018, 13:31   #18
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
But at some point while playing a Mage I just stop and say "why am I taking so much time and bother to rest up all the time between assaults on this unique when I could just be bashing his head in as a HT/Warrior and be done with it?" .
i think that's a problem with the game, though. Right now, I've got a CL34 half-orc mage with a few boosted stats (need more CON in the world' worst way.). And what's the most powerful single-round attack form this mage, with Kelek's (the collection of which was a rather challenging adventure), can offer?

Fire ball? At a mere 89 points, hardly.
Rend soul? 11d34 looks impressive at first glance, but at a mere 194 points per round (if the critter, like, say, half the the dungeon)) resist it, it only comes out to half that, so meh.

Nope. The most powerful ranged attack in this half-orc's arsenal is the Long bow of Bard, which edges out the heavy crossbow of power, currently ranked No. 2.

That ain't right.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018, 13:37   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
What you want is wands of drain life (annihilation being to valuable to use.) Magic devices are great as a mage, and shockwave/ice storm are a lot of fun in combination with melee.

Also, it's pretty easy to kill uniques with chaos strike+rift.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018, 14:06   #20
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
What you want is wands of drain life (annihilation being to valuable to use.) Magic devices are great as a mage, and shockwave/ice storm are a lot of fun in combination with melee.

Also, it's pretty easy to kill uniques with chaos strike+rift.
Haven't got to that point of advancement yet. But Anhilation is a handy thing to have. Had it, blew it up with a recharge, but it saved my bacon with some low-level unique. A few games back, The Tarrasque fell to a stack of three in the hands of a rogue that otherwise had pathetic damage potential.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote