Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 12, 2016, 11:51   #1
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Sling vs Bow vs Crossbow

I'm in the process of rebalancing archers in PWMAngband, so I was looking at which of the three shooters was the most powerful in normal Angband in the end. Looking at ego launchers, we have: for slings, Buckland at x4 with 2 extra shots; for bows, Lothlorien at x5 or Extra Shots at x3 with 1 extra shot; for crossbows, Extra Might at x5 or Haradrim/Extra Shots at x4 with 1 extra shot.

Here's the table with might * shots vs base shots for each launcher:

Code:
Base shots					1	2	3

Sling of Buckland				12	16	20

Long Bow of Lothlorien				5	10	15
Long Bow of Extra Shots				6	9	12

Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might			5	10	15
Light/Heavy Crossbow of Haradrim/Extra Shots	8	12	16
Basically the Sling of Buckland is better for normal characters and the Long Bow of Lothlorien is better for rangers if considering only the raw power of each shooter. After that, I don't know how ammo would affect this. Or randarts.
Old January 12, 2016, 14:03   #2
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Here's damage output vs normal and evil with the following:

Code:
Class							Normal	Ranger

Sling of Buckland (x4) (+15, +15) <+5, +2>		440/660	--
+ Mithril Shot of Slay Evil (2d4) (+15, +15)

Long Bow of Lothlorien (x5) (+15, +15) <+5, +2>		209/293	627/877
+ Seeker Arrow of Slay Evil (4d4) (+15, +15)

Light Crossbow of the Haradrim (x4) (+15, +15) <+1>	351/526	--
+ Seeker Bolt of Slay Evil (4d5) (+15, +15)
Old January 12, 2016, 18:48   #3
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Uh, the Lothlorien value seems too high; are you sure you havent added an extra shot in there ?
Also, heavy xbow of Haradrim doesnt exist; someone foolishly removed them long ago, and in a hacky way I suspect because greater vaults have tons of magical heavy xbows as they shouldnt.

Edit: nm, I missed the "ranger" over the entry.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016, 12:13   #4
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Also, heavy xbow of Haradrim doesnt exist;
That's why I've used Light Crossbow of the Haradrim for damage calculation. Using Heavy Crossbow of Extra Shots would yield the same result (both have x4 might +1 ES). For normal characters, Long Bow of Extra Shots would give better output, but still the bow is the weakest shooter for non rangers, and by far.
Old January 14, 2016, 18:59   #5
Gram
Scout

Gram is on a distinguished road
It'd be interesting to see where artifact bows fit in the damage output table. Bard and Belthronding at > (+15,+15) have some advantage over long bows of Lothlorien and Extra Shots. I suppose Amrod and Amras would both equal bows of Extra Shots for rangers.

For non-rangers all the artifacts are apparently stat sticks rather than elite shooters, which seems unfortunate, but it'd be interesting to quantify the tradeoffs.

Also, the odds of finding not only a +2 power, +2 shots sling of Buckland but also plenty of slay evil mithril shots are probably much lower than the odds of getting other good shooters and ammo, right?
Gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2016, 21:52   #6
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
That's why I've used Light Crossbow of the Haradrim for damage calculation. Using Heavy Crossbow of Extra Shots would yield the same result (both have x4 might +1 ES). For normal characters, Long Bow of Extra Shots would give better output, but still the bow is the weakest shooter for non rangers, and by far.
It is true that bow does the least damage; nontheless, I find myself using it most of the time. A Lothlorien offers ESP and up to 5 dex, effectively increasing melee damage. Half-trolls especially love that dex.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2016, 23:35   #7
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
How do Sling of Bucklands do so much damage? They have a x4 multiplier which is equal or less than for the bow or crossbow listed above and the ammo does less damage too.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016, 00:01   #8
Gram
Scout

A Sling of Buckland gets pluses to both power and shots. If it has +2 to both, that's a x4 shooter shooting 3x.
Old January 15, 2016, 06:56   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
It is true that bow does the least damage; nontheless, I find myself using it most of the time. A Lothlorien offers ESP and up to 5 dex, effectively increasing melee damage. Half-trolls especially love that dex.
Lothlorien also is much more common than Buckland and getting one with very high to_dam is more probable than finding equal Buckland. Though getting one with ESP is rare.

I'm not sure if Buckland should be sling though. In Tolkien works hobbits don't use slings if they have bows. A short bow of Buckland with only one extra shot and might would be more appropriate. Kind of Amrod/Amros area of power.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016, 06:40   #10
Gram
Scout

My character found a heavy crossbow of extra shots early, found Amrod a bit ago, and just found Belthronding. So I wanted to revisit this question; here's a comparison with a tricked-out L50 rogue, with all the non-artifact bows at +15 damage. I didn't get slay evil ammo; this is with Wounding +23 ammo.
Code:
Bow		Damage
Cubragol	157
Amrod		205
Lothlorien	257
Bard		278
Amras		308
Umbar		340
Belthronding	353
Haradrim/HCXS	428
Buckland	552
So for non-rangers this boils down to the question of how much missile damage you're willing to give up in order to wear a stat stick. It's possible to find the non-artifact bows with better than +15 damage, further skewing this in favor of the heavy crossbow of extra shots, Haradrim, and Buckland.

Note Cubragol gets double that against foes not resistant to fire- I figured since the brand won't make a difference for many other kinds of ammo I'd stick to quoting the base damage.