takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
For some (somewhat outdated?) information on compiling the source, read:
http://www.thangorodrim.net/compiling.html
Also try slightly more up-to-date information, available at: http://rephial.org/wiki/Compiling
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2007, 18:07   #12
nobody
Apprentice

nobody is on a distinguished road
the mention of Utumno has brought up a question for me, where can i get Utumno? can't seem to find it
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2007, 13:58   #13
Daven_26d1
Adept

Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaxocal View Post
So, what I was wanting to do, was taking a variant and updating it and modifying it a bit, to make a more fulfilling and challenging game. How would I go about this? Can I go about this?
If you just want to make a variant a little more challenging etc, many, many people have simply provided patches and mods over the years; I've seen, variously: diff files, binary patches for Win .exes, instructions for manual edits of source code, replacement edit files etc.

Patches basically cut down on download time, are easy to find a host for (because there are sites already hosting user patches for many variants) and you may end up seeing your patch worked into the main release if its really good or popular.

Patches also allow users to use some, but not all, of your mods if they so desire.

That said, if you fancy doing a truly major update, and you're as interested in Z as you appear to be, I know for a *fact* that a whole bunch of people are crying out for someone to do an updated version of that particular project...

Anyways, best of luck! :]
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2007, 18:12   #14
quaxocal
Rookie

quaxocal is on a distinguished road
Well, what I'm looking to do is basically like this (I think I'm definitely going for Zangband):

1) Overhaul alot of the numbers for Races and Classes (I feel some classes are too weak others too easy, while some of the races are overpowered others next to worthless and others barely played).

1a) Also considering adding a new class or two (Archer comes to mind, as the bow equivalent of a warrior). Also was thinking Archmage (able to use 3 schools of magic but can only use the first 3 books in each, OR as an alternative to that, maybe one primary realm with 4 books, a secondary with 3, and a teritary with 2).

2) Clean up the spellbooks. I think its absurd that there is a spell learnable at level 2 in the 3rd sorcery book for a high mage, or learnable at level 5 in the 4th life spell book for a priest. Some spells also are underpowered for where they are (dark bolt in particular comes to mind, its in the 3rd death book and is WEAKER than nether bolt which is in the 2nd book....and to top that off, sometimes nether bolt is available earlier and cheaper!) Other spells just don't seem to have enough punch (Nature's Wrath comes to mind).

3) Sift through the monsters, and try to balance depth and other stats.

4) Sift through the weapons and armor and other items, and try to make them more useful (alot of weapons and armor in particular are absolutely WORTHLESS to use).

5) Increase the challenge (certain items would be rarer or found only at lower depths, like I think the stat potions being heavily available in the 30's and 40's is too much). Later monsters would be more powerful. With this in mind, some spells will be upped and Warriors, Monks and Rogues in particular would be given boosts. From what I've read and observed myself, Zangband can be difficult early on (especially for spell-reliant classes) but gets easier in the end (globe of invulnerability, hellfire, call the void, +50 speed, etc.).

5a) Also looking at possible ways to speed up the game some too (it does take a long time to descend the levels, especially for newer players).

I'm certainly open to more suggestions. Just keep in mind that until I get my feet wet with the code and how everything works, most of what would be changed is numbers, and stuff added would be "copies and changes" of what's already there (like a new class).
quaxocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2007, 18:21   #15
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaxocal View Post
2) Clean up the spellbooks. I think its absurd that there is a spell learnable at level 2 in the 3rd sorcery book for a high mage, or learnable at level 5 in the 4th life spell book for a priest.
Absurd? Nah, I think it adds something to the game, namely making the rare find of such a high-level book actually useful for a low-level character. But then again, I could be wrong...
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2007, 19:24   #16
quaxocal
Rookie

You realize you'd have to find such a book like 55-60 or 85-90 levels out of depth if you were that low of a level? The odds are astronomical.
Old July 29, 2007, 17:14   #17
Fuma
Adept

Fuma is on a distinguished road
Finding spellbooks 50 levels OOD isn't *that* rare, I think. Only problem is, you can be more than certain that it'll be the wrong school of magic. (or when you're playing a warrior)
Old July 29, 2007, 21:02   #18
quaxocal
Rookie

Ok, yeah, its not quite that rare, but I agree with the wrong school of magic.

I did find Trumps of Doom on level 5 before, and I think it was Holy Grail that I found at about level 30 once.

The idea though, is its not something which you should be relying on to happen. Hence why I want to take a good look at all the spellbooks and fix things up a bit.