Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2011, 08:14   #1
UglySquirrell
Swordsman
 
UglySquirrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 293
UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Speed vs. damage

Playing a no weapons game, and just found ros +8. Was wondering will I be doing more damage per round if I replace my ring of damage +10 with this. I'm at +9 speed and doing 258 damage per round with damage ring and bos. If I replace it with speed ring I'm doing 198 per round but have +17 speed. I'm kind of leaning towards the speed ring, until I hopefully find Cubragol. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2011, 10:38   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
Playing a no weapons game, and just found ros +8. Was wondering will I be doing more damage per round if I replace my ring of damage +10 with this. I'm at +9 speed and doing 258 damage per round with damage ring and bos. If I replace it with speed ring I'm doing 198 per round but have +17 speed. I'm kind of leaning towards the speed ring, until I hopefully find Cubragol. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Usually speed trumps damage. With that speed increase your damage output increases by approx 50%, and speed has other advantages. Speed is clearly better in this case.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2011, 10:48   #3
UglySquirrell
Swordsman
 
UglySquirrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 293
UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Usually speed trumps damage. With that speed increase your damage output increases by approx 50%, and speed has other advantages. Speed is clearly better in this case.
Thank you, just found out the hard way Gorlim disenchants gear. Guess I always had resistance when I killed him in other games. Shields down to +4,+4 damage. Was thinking of using Thorin for the str. And Con. Bonus when I find it so no big deal. Still seems kind of strange he takes off the to hit and damage on a shield instead of ac.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2011, 10:54   #4
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
Thank you, just found out the hard way Gorlim disenchants gear. Guess I always had resistance when I killed him in other games. Shields down to +4,+4 damage. Was thinking of using Thorin for the str. And Con. Bonus when I find it so no big deal. Still seems kind of strange he takes off the to hit and damage on a shield instead of ac.
I suspect AC dropped as well. Disenchantment is nasty. One of the deep golems and one of the movable eyes also disenchant. That eye is near your depth if you are fighting Gorlim.

Many undeads disenchant, and several uniques do that too.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2011, 13:11   #5
UglySquirrell
Swordsman
 
UglySquirrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 293
UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
I guess I better start probing, thanx for the heads up.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2011, 16:38   #6
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
I guess I better start probing, thanx for the heads up.
That's a good approach anyway if you don't have full monster memory stored already. Probing is undervalued by many, especially now that it tells you almost everything about the monster.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the need for speed. APWhite Vanilla 9 September 10, 2011 07:15
speed display fizzix Vanilla 29 December 10, 2009 01:05
monster speed PowerDiver Vanilla 2 September 10, 2009 18:42
Now that I have speed, what to do? Big Al AAR 3 September 22, 2008 20:49
Speed Zero Vanilla 9 January 9, 2008 03:21


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.