Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 24, 2018, 19:05   #1
Petoften
Knight

Petoften is on a distinguished road
Just chatting about a game

Started playing it a little bit ago, haven't gotten far, but now I have a level 5 gnome mage who found a named dagger.

Woo hoo. It has 2d4, (+10, +12) [+10]. That's making the top dungeon levels very easy. I'm not sure what the [+10] is doing.

Main danger seems to be gas traps - hit that with monsters around and I can't hit them, can't cast on them, can't cast escape spells...
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018, 19:12   #2
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!

The [+10] is an AC (armor class) bonus.
Old June 24, 2018, 19:50   #3
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
tip: potions of cure light wounds will also cure blindness. They are always in stock and only cost 15 gold each so there's no excuse not to carry a couple when you first set out to the dungeon.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 03:04   #4
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Welcome! That dagger is a good find. AC is hard to come by for mages since they don't want to be encumbered by heavy armors.
Old June 25, 2018, 03:49   #5
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
And since you're new, and that dagger is clearly one of the 'Thancs, you should also know that you can activate it by pressing shift-a to shoot an elemental magic bolt at the enemies. There are actually three nearly identical artifact daggers of that sort: one that does fire, one ice, and one lightning. The lightning one is generally most useful because it hits a whole line of enemies rather than just a single target.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 04:17   #6
Petoften
Knight

Thanks for the comments.

I was used to rogue which is less forgiving - what a nice surprise when I found things like potion of light healing curing blindness (and bleeding and poison?)

I don't have any feel yet for how much benefit AC 10 is, but any bit helps.

Good to know about activating the dagger - I'm not sure how much damage it would do compared to my magic missiles. Is it unlimited use?

Almost got into trouble finding a room of mushrooms that blinded, but got away.
Old June 25, 2018, 04:51   #7
Petoften
Knight

OK I see cure light wounds doesn't cure poison.
Old June 25, 2018, 05:01   #8
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
It can be used periodically.

There are are two broad types of usable items: wands and staffs have a limited number or charges (but can potentially be recharged)

rods and artifacts have a single charge, but will automatically recharge themselves after a (sometimes pretty long) delay

A 'thanc will hit harder than a magic missile. Useful both as a bigger whack to get a tough fight started right, or as a fallback if your mana runs low (but unlikely to be both!)

After the first time you use it, there should be details if you (I)nspect it.

Some of the stronger healing potions will cure poison. But even a lowly CLW will keep you alive longer for the poison to timeout 8-)
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 05:56   #9
Petoften
Knight

The inventory limit is pretty limiting. Dropped things like potions of heroism and berserker strength, about to drop scrolls of blessing, not sure what they do.

Getting to the point around dungeon level 10 that the dagger isn't at all any safe adventuring, it takes several hits to kill things now and I lose most my health...
Old June 25, 2018, 06:23   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
If you are playing mage, melee won't work for long, even with a *Thanc weapon. Plan on using spells and devices for damage, and phase door to avoid melee. A low level mage needs to rely on the scroll rather than the spell, because (a) he doesn't have enough mana and (b) failures are really dangerous, in part because of (a).

Note: mage is a particularly difficult class for newbies because the tendency is to want to kill all monsters (aka: clearing levels.) This is a bad strategy in general, but it's a disastrous strategy for mages. The usual strategy for mages is to run away. More specifically: pick your targets carefully. However, this requires prior knowledge of what--and where--those targets are.

Edit: if you are used to rogue, then you don't need advice. Angband is much easier. Just carry plenty of phase and curing potions, and you'll do fine. Once you get the hang of it, you might try playing Sil.

Last edited by Pete Mack; June 25, 2018 at 07:26.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote