AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 23, 2011, 03:40   #21
diabloblanco
Rookie

diabloblanco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
Oh, I agree. I've just heard said that speed diving increases your chance of winning *in the game that you speed dive*, which doesn't match my experience.
OK, now that advice makes more sense. As far as figuring what down there can kill you (i.e. avoid deep graveyards), diving in that sense is valuable experience. As far as having a character with some longevity, I'm also of the mindset that diving way deep early on (i.e. Level 60 with a Lvl 10 character or some such) is like playing Russian Roulette. I'm sure one can pull it off repeatedly but one would need to be really on their game, and be able to detect and teleport level at will. Much respect to those who can do that.
diabloblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011, 04:04   #22
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloblanco View Post
As far as having a character with some longevity, I'm also of the mindset that diving way deep early on (i.e. Level 60 with a Lvl 10 character or some such) is like playing Russian Roulette. I'm sure one can pull it off repeatedly but one would need to be really on their game, and be able to detect and teleport level at will. Much respect to those who can do that.
Perhaps we should add a character like this to the competition queue.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011, 04:20   #23
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
Perhaps we should add a character like this to the competition queue.
It wouldn't be too hard to rig up a character that starts at 4900' and level 1 with all word-of-recall items squelched, as a sort of faked Lost Soul mode. Of course you could turn the squelching off, but we rely on the honor system enough as it is...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011, 04:33   #24
pampl
RePosBand maintainer

pampl is on a distinguished road
I'm not a super fast diver, but looking at the winners posted it seems like I'm pretty fast, and I couldn't stay level 10 until floor 60 even if I wanted to.. there are just too many fights on the way to the stairs, then when you add in all those delicious Ds and Us just a little out of the way, then there's that vault with chaff that's cheaper to kill than to TO...
pampl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011, 08:14   #25
diabloblanco
Rookie

diabloblanco is on a distinguished road
The above was (obviously, I hope) a major exaggeration. However, you might as well dive. I'm just farting around on 1600' and ran into both Uvatha the Horseman (aside from a Nether Bolt, easily dispatched) and a Patriarch, who had the drop on me badly and I just got the hell out of there to fight another day. I don't have their entire abilities in mind but IIRC they can do bad things to you. Especially when you still have a constitution of 11.

Did I ever mention I hate Nexus Hounds that breathe from off-screen? That's what I should have put in that most-hated thread. That and Filthy Street Urchins. It's like the slums of Rio de Janeiro in the alleys between the armory and the general store sometimes. Snatching and grabbing, always after my cash. And you know they'll just spend it on ale and potions of speed.
diabloblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011, 15:38   #26
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
BTW Uvatha did not cast a nether bolt, since he's not allowed to. It was probably the patriarch.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011, 20:23   #27
aricz
Rookie

aricz is on a distinguished road
Patience is all it takes.

I managed to get careless after I got Morgoth down to 50-60% health.. and he cast summon 'D'.. I was low on health and banished the D's first.. then he manastormed me.. haha.. and killed me.. my heartrate went kaboom and my face got all red and I started shaking.

It was the first time I've ever been at the end of a roguelike without savescumming. That death crushed me. I didn't play A for years.. and it still frustrates me. Wow?

Now I'm back again, this time, on A1200, V Angband 3.03 ..

Oh.. it's only a game..
aricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011, 21:47   #28
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It wouldn't be too hard to rig up a character that starts at 4900' and level 1 with all word-of-recall items squelched, as a sort of faked Lost Soul mode. Of course you could turn the squelching off, but we rely on the honor system enough as it is...
How will you randomize the first level 98? Otherwise you can find the optimal move sequence that keeps you alive (if it exists) by simple trial and error.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011, 22:21   #29
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You can't, really; about the best you could do is release the character in the town with a Recall effect having just been activated, too far from the stairs to make it to them in time. Even then it'd be trivial to just rest and have the same level each time you try. But I'm not convinced that's a big deal, since after that point the game diverges rather quickly.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote