Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20, 2018, 17:23   #1
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 590
Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Comp 216

Competition 216 is a free-for-all for the angband feature/magic branch (check out the thread on the main Vanilla board for downloads). Whoever kills Morgoth in fewest turns wins.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018, 19:00   #2
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,645
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Maybe make a notation on the Competition description that there is no starting save file even though the page has a download starting save file link.
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 00:10   #3
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 448
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
Whoever kills Morgoth in fewest turns wins.
Since Estie has already posted a time that is faster than I have ever achieved in all my years of playing, I gotta say I'm not encouraged by my chances :-)

I note that the experience-needed-to-advance-a-level multiplier seems to only apply to the character's race, and NOT its class (i.e. the multiplier is not affected by the choice of class)? Is that a bug or a feature ?
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 08:24   #4
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 590
Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Feature I believe; all the new classes are experimental and need balancing. One of them might be OP.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 08:45   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,173
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
I note that the experience-needed-to-advance-a-level multiplier seems to only apply to the character's race, and NOT its class (i.e. the multiplier is not affected by the choice of class)? Is that a bug or a feature ?
Aha, someone has noticed

I have never been a fan of XP penalties; I don't feel that there's really a need to balance races and classes against each other. So when it comes time to redo races, I'm inclined to remove XP penalties from there too.

Opinions, as always, welcome.

PS: Also, what Gwarl said - I strongly suspect blackguards are currently quite OP.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 11:02   #6
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,611
wobbly is on a distinguished road
So more comments on fox form. The possibility of fox form as a stealth form is interesting but completely dependant on it working in melee. Having to drop out of fox form constantly (no pick up, no detect) is managable if you're not actually using your mana, if you're not also changing for combat. Just avoiding fights isn't realistic. A snake in a corridor, bang 2 more mana.. Effectiveness is very dependant on weapon damage. Seems the opposite of how a shapechanger should be. It's one thing for weapon damage to count, part of the equipment merge thing, another for the design to exasperate the problem. An extra blow and minus damage - that makes the weapon matter more.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 21:36   #7
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,470
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Aha, someone has noticed

I have never been a fan of XP penalties; I don't feel that there's really a need to balance races and classes against each other. So when it comes time to redo races, I'm inclined to remove XP penalties from there too.

Opinions, as always, welcome.
Strong agreement. Even if races/classes needed to be balanced against each other, XP penalties are not the way to do it.

XP penalties were an attempt to ensure that in a tabletop party-based game, each character would be able to contribute roughly a similar amount even though one hit things with swords and one harnessed cosmic powers. They were a flop even then. They don't belong in a singleplayer game.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018, 01:51   #8
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 448
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
XP penalties
I admit I haven't really thought this through, but I don't agree. The XP penalties make it harder/slower for the powerful race/class characters to advance (e.g. a High Elf mage vs. a Human warrior). This means that in the exact sort of situation we are in with the competition, you have to consider the trade-offs. A level-46 High Elf Mage with zero-fail Mass Banishment is basically unstoppable, but if getting to that point takes you too many turns, you lose.

I also admit that the lesson being taught by the current situation on the competition ladder is "find a *thanc artifact on level one", rather than anything to do with race, class, or XP penalties :-)
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018, 02:02   #9
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,173
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
I admit I haven't really thought this through, but I don't agree. The XP penalties make it harder/slower for the powerful race/class characters to advance (e.g. a High Elf mage vs. a Human warrior). This means that in the exact sort of situation we are in with the competition, you have to consider the trade-offs. A level-46 High Elf Mage with zero-fail Mass Banishment is basically unstoppable, but if getting to that point takes you too many turns, you lose.
I don't think this competition should be taken as a template - in a more normal competition, we would have fixed race and class and the question wouldn't arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
I also admit that the lesson being taught by the current situation on the competition ladder is "find a *thanc artifact on level one", rather than anything to do with race, class, or XP penalties :-)
That is a good point. Re-work of artifacts will have to consider that...
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018, 14:12   #10
Gwarl
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 590
Gwarl is on a distinguished road
These turncounts are insane!
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp 214 Gwarl Competition 13 March 8, 2018 05:54
Comp 196 debo Competition 12 November 15, 2016 07:33
Comp 195 debo Competition 19 October 28, 2016 17:01
Comp 194 debo Competition 10 October 14, 2016 05:00
Lich brain smashing for 216 damage? Pondlife Vanilla 5 December 7, 2015 19:28


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.