Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 4, 2020, 20:26   #11
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
It would be an extremely rare event to die this way, to starve there caved-in. Yet, I'm not a fan of the possibility of this happening.

One way to at least somewhat reduce the chance to die (without means to escape) is to make falling rock piece a quartz vein or whatever the softest wall material is.

Also: I do not know, on which level these traps start to appear.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2020, 22:15   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Angband isn't fair. I kinda miss the poison pits at DL 1 that did for a number of my starting mage chars.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2020, 22:23   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
One way to at least somewhat reduce the chance to die (without means to escape) is to make falling rock piece a quartz vein or whatever the softest wall material is.

Also: I do not know, on which level these traps start to appear.
The depth was where my thinking was going - they start on DL4.

I guess the solution should depend on the purpose of the traps. The trap is not my design (it was elly), so this analysis is guesswork.

It seems to me that the trap should be a temporary tactical inconvenience - the block's fallen, and now you can't get back to that other thing you were going to do, or you're stuck in the vicinity of monsters you don't want to be near. I feel that just pushing it considerably deeper would pretty much remove the danger of being trapped, but also most of the interest.

In summary - I think keep the same depth, but make it magma that falls.
Old April 4, 2020, 22:52   #14
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
A trap that kills a character all by itself is over-powered. But a trap that can kill a character with two contributing factors seems fine. Why do we bother with these traps at all if they don't carry some grave risk?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2020, 07:49   #15
quarague
Swordsman

quarague is on a distinguished road
I wanted to note that there are multiple ways of escaping here. Any way of digging (digger, any heavy enough weapon or a wand/spell) or earth quaking, a WoR, any source of teleport, a scroll of teleport level or deep descent, even a stack of phase door scrolls should work most of the time.
It does require a certain skill/ knowledge of the game to think of all of them (I probably forgot some) but killing a character in a rare situation because he didn't have any of them or because the human player didn't think of a good solution seems fine to me. All of Angband is full of situations that can kill an unprepared character and there are usually lots of different ways to get out of it. The only thing different here is that you are dying not of direct damage but of starving.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2020, 08:12   #16
quarague
Swordsman

quarague is on a distinguished road
This thread made me think of a new item suggestion:
Potion of the mole
Transforms your hands into the claws of a mole. Significantly improves your digging abilities [to the equivalent of wielding a mattock or so] and gives a severe penalty to melee and ranges accuracy. Effects last 20+1d20 turns.

Is not sold in town but can drop from dungeon level 1. Apart from being another way of escape in the situation described here it also seems fun for id-by-use to me. If you quaff this from an un-id potion in a moderately dangerous situation it does hinder you and requires some change of tactic but shouldn't be lethal in situations that weren't lethal beforehand.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2020, 08:26   #17
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
@quarague
you don't have to go very deep in the game to get majority of these escape items. On DL4 however, the only ways are usually ?PD and ?WoR. Even my proposal of making wall material softer doesn't help much, because majority of characters cannot dig it open anyway.

I'm surprised so many here defend the possibility of a dungeon trap causing (delayed) instadeath.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2020, 13:44   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Sphara--
It is an extremely rare event, given that it was firsr reported now...and the character didn't actually die. It really feels like special pleading.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2020, 15:56   #19
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
If you die in the first 10 levels there's a good chance you've learned a valuable lesson cheaply.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2020, 15:58   #20
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
@quarague
you don't have to go very deep in the game to get majority of these escape items. On DL4 however, the only ways are usually ?PD and ?WoR. Even my proposal of making wall material softer doesn't help much, because majority of characters cannot dig it open anyway.

I'm surprised so many here defend the possibility of a dungeon trap causing (delayed) instadeath.
I just checked & anyone stronger then a gnome mage(with default stat allocation) can dig through Magma with a rapier. If you do happen to be a gnome or hobbit mage & don't have phase door somehow..
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote