Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2009, 03:24   #1
FUD
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
FUD is on a distinguished road
Multiple shots

Okay.

I like the idea of a Ranger with multiple shots.

I have finally got one to level 20 and find that using multiple shots seems very arkward. After playing MAngband I learned that using macros was the only way there to use multiple shots.

I set up a macro, with trigger '!'. the macro is \ef1*tf1*t and my ammo is inscribed with @f1

I find I often take off my light source with this macro (must be the t and f in the macro)

Can anyone help me?

Peace
FUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009, 04:44   #2
Sirridan
Knight
 
Sirridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 560
Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUD View Post
Okay.

I like the idea of a Ranger with multiple shots.

I have finally got one to level 20 and find that using multiple shots seems very arkward. After playing MAngband I learned that using macros was the only way there to use multiple shots.

I set up a macro, with trigger '!'. the macro is \ef1*tf1*t and my ammo is inscribed with @f1

I find I often take off my light source with this macro (must be the t and f in the macro)

Can anyone help me?

Peace
That macro is being translated literally by the engine. first off it fires the arrow at the target. Good stuff. Then the next f 1 * clear the messages sent by firing... the next t tells the game to (t)ake off... and well f is the slot holding your light source.

Here's a macro that will work.

\ef1*t\e\e\e\ef1*t

the 4 escapes (\e) in there, are to clear the up 2 four messages that appear, 4 happens rarely but it's possible IIRC.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009, 05:17   #3
FUD
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
FUD is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip!! this makes perfect sense!!!

Sometimes the simplest answers seem so distant!!!

Funny thing... I just killed this character whislt trying out the new marco!! DOH.

Back to the starting blocks...
FUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009, 05:31   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,827
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUD View Post
Thanks for the tip!! this makes perfect sense!!!

Sometimes the simplest answers seem so distant!!!

Funny thing... I just killed this character whislt trying out the new marco!! DOH.

Back to the starting blocks...
Those macros are not a good idea -- what if a monster gets in an attack between the two shots? You will lose the output!

Stick with a single macro for firing once. (Just remember to prefix it with \e)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009, 05:40   #5
FUD
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
FUD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Those macros are not a good idea -- what if a monster gets in an attack between the two shots? You will lose the output!

Stick with a single macro for firing once. (Just remember to prefix it with \e)
This macro is designed for a character with 2 shots. How else are you supposed to use the multiple shots? I am hoping that there is actual implementation of this, else rangers are lacking.

I have tried using single shots and I don't get to use 2 per monster move...
FUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009, 05:56   #6
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUD View Post
I have tried using single shots and I don't get to use 2 per monster move...
Sure you do, unless they are faster than you are.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009, 05:56   #7
Sirridan
Knight
 
Sirridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 560
Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUD View Post
This macro is designed for a character with 2 shots. How else are you supposed to use the multiple shots? I am hoping that there is actual implementation of this, else rangers are lacking.

I have tried using single shots and I don't get to use 2 per monster move...
I thought I had the same problem when I was playing my old ranger Sirridan. Unlike multiple blows, multiple shots are not done all at once.

When you move, you use energy. You can have up to 100 energy, and moving/attacking use all of it. However, taking a shot when you have extra shots, doesn't use all of the energy, it uses half (or a 1/3rd if you have 3 shots, etc). So you don't really have extra shots per se, but you shoot like you're hasted, even if not. So next time you get 2 shots, shoot at something normal speed, and you will notice you get 2 shots per its one move. However, shoot a fast creature that normally moves at +10 speed (like lets say bullroarer!) and it will move once per shot.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009, 05:58   #8
FUD
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
FUD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
I thought I had the same problem when I was playing my old ranger Sirridan. Unlike multiple blows, multiple shots are not done all at once.

When you move, you use energy. You can have up to 100 energy, and moving/attacking use all of it. However, taking a shot when you have extra shots, doesn't use all of the energy, it uses half (or a 1/3rd if you have 3 shots, etc). So you don't really have extra shots per se, but you shoot like you're hasted, even if not. So next time you get 2 shots, shoot at something normal speed, and you will notice you get 2 shots per its one move. However, shoot a fast creature that normally moves at +10 speed (like lets say bullroarer!) and it will move once per shot.
Thanks for clarifying!

I will see what happens when I get back to level 20
FUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2009, 23:31   #9
tummychow
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 93
tummychow is on a distinguished road
Wielding a Long Bow of Extra Shots(+10,+14)(+1) on my current rogue, I agree with Sirridan. Using multiple shots is pretty simple: Just keep shooting. The game will determine when your 'turn' ends. Monsters will only move in between if they are too fast for you.
Also, you might want to check out the spoilers (I believe ability.spo is the one you want for this). They clarify a lot of the mechanics of speed in Vanilla angband.
tummychow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2009, 00:13   #10
FUD
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
FUD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummychow View Post
Wielding a Long Bow of Extra Shots(+10,+14)(+1) on my current rogue, I agree with Sirridan. Using multiple shots is pretty simple: Just keep shooting. The game will determine when your 'turn' ends. Monsters will only move in between if they are too fast for you.
Also, you might want to check out the spoilers (I believe ability.spo is the one you want for this). They clarify a lot of the mechanics of speed in Vanilla angband.
Nice spoiler. I have ben p[laying long enough to have figured out most of this stuff! It makes life very clear with regards to bows... thanks for the tip
FUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multiple Adjacent Vaults s0be Vanilla 1 May 25, 2009 10:01
Ranger extra shots Sirridan Vanilla 2 May 7, 2009 01:57
Multiple attacks and weapon weight? Dark Vanilla 7 April 29, 2009 01:24
weapons: multiple blows versus multiple slays vorondil Vanilla 24 December 24, 2008 19:13
Confused about multiple character on Linux ehertlein Vanilla 6 August 13, 2007 11:19


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.