Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 6, 2010, 23:51   #41
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
If you can get Takk to use this as the base for this part of the V codebase, so much the better - it'll stay (more) up to date. Means a bit more work for him linking into his hg repo or whatever he sets up, but might be worth it.
We'll see. I just wanted to get something in place, and it can all be changed later if it's not working.
Old July 7, 2010, 14:59   #42
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
ajps made a whack at it with the new command function pointers (cmd0.c and game-cmd.c is a huge step in the right direction).
I'm not convinced that the command function pointers were abstracted at the right level - or more correctly, I think there's a huge opportunity to be had with a slightly different abstraction where the commands which select an object are a(nother?) set of function pointers.

In particular, transitive commands (apply x to y) are handled as two separate commands in the Unangband system, and it allowed an incredibly easy implementation of 'pick an object and choose which command to apply to it' which may be useful for various UI implementations.

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2010, 15:31   #43
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Progress:
  • Decided init*.c are too specific, and removed them.
  • Renamed cmd0.c to ui-cmd.c and marked most of it for removal.
  • Renamed (by sticking a ui- on the front of) pathfind.c, button.c, target.c.
  • Renamed cave.c to ui-view.c, with the intention of ripping everything but the update_view stuff out of it.

I'm not sure about the last one - maybe none of that should be in, or maybe more should. Also there's some specific terrain mentioned in the pathfinding, which will need to be replaced by a reference to a (variant-specific) list.

The idea is that exactly the src directory files from V with names starting with ui, game, main and z will be in AngbandBase. I guess I'm kind of assuming that takkaria etc are OK with some file splitting and renaming too - if we're tying to keep the two aligned, which seems like a good idea if it's easy enough.
Old July 11, 2010, 19:17   #44
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Decided init*.c are too specific, and removed them.
Interesting. I'd have thought that standardised cross-platform code for reading edit files was a big win.
Quote:
The idea is that exactly the src directory files from V with names starting with ui, game, main and z will be in AngbandBase. I guess I'm kind of assuming that takkaria etc are OK with some file splitting and renaming too - if we're tying to keep the two aligned, which seems like a good idea if it's easy enough.
It's fine with me. Haven't heard from Takk for a few weeks but don't suppose he will mind. I'll update the filenames after checking with him. (Though it might be better for him to give you commit access and cut out the middle man.)
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2010, 23:00   #45
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Interesting. I'd have thought that standardised cross-platform code for reading edit files was a big win.
It would be, except for the differences in edit files. There are some cases (the cmd0.c list of commands is another) where there will be few differences, but enough that the file can't be used.

Quote:
It's fine with me. Haven't heard from Takk for a few weeks but don't suppose he will mind. I'll update the filenames after checking with him. (Though it might be better for him to give you commit access and cut out the middle man.)
I already have commit access, so I can do the dirty work once we have the OK.
Old July 12, 2010, 09:14   #46
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Regarding the edit files:

I tend to think of the edit files as CSV+, and I think the actual parsing bits of that could be factored out relatively easily.

The only thing the parsing code really needs to know is
  • what field type signifies a new record? ('N', usually)
  • what (if any) separator character is used within a record field ('|', usually) for multi-valued fields (flags)
(or am I missing something? I'm only really familiar with the parsing code from ToME where I ripped out the *.raw generation.)

AFAICT this would also be sufficient for things like vault definitions.

Everything else could be treated as opaque strings and we'd at least get some sharing of code.

EDIT: Either that or just use a standardized human-readable format like, say, JSON or YAML. I'm sure there are libraries for C for both of those.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2010, 11:30   #47
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

There's actually quite a lot of difference from variant to variant with what's in the edit files. While you could just take the line start and the rest as a string, most of the content in the init files is the parsing, so it wouldn't really help much.

I'm quite keen too to stick to things that are not in any way going to affect gameplay - so I'm even dubious about the view stuff and targeting. I think that it's best to start with a small core of common code and then expand it later if that seems like a good idea, rather than be pulling stuff out of variants and then having to put it back in.
Old July 12, 2010, 18:56   #48
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Sure, I agree that it's best to start small and then expand as necessary/possible. I was just sayin'...
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote