Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2007, 21:58   #11
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
I looks like I should be editing Unangband instead of vanilla to be able to do more with the edit files. Last time I played Unangband it still had some nasty bugs, so I gave up on it for awhile. Maybe I'll download the most recent version and edit that instead.
I suggest you wait for a more stable version. I've been spending a lot of time on the existing work in progress version and should be moving to beta in the next month or so.

Quote:
About other things I'd like to be able to change in the txt files, I didn't have anything complicated in mind. Just things like being able to make new slays for new types of monsters I'm adding, and make certain monsters of different types appear together. (I wanted to add Haradrim and make them always appear with mumaks). And make new vulnerabilities, currently, HURT_LITE, and HURT_ROCK are the only ones. Is there a way to make monsters more vulnerable to certain elements or types of weapons?
All of the requests you are making are unlikely to be editable in monster files. I could see a number of ways of making some of them, but basically, whenever you add a new flag, you need to add code.

Quote:
With Unangband being able to edit spells, I'd make new summon spells for particular types of monsters which don't have a spell to summon them. If I could, I'd also had monster spells like curse (opposite of scroll of blessing) and hallucenate.
Unangband already has curse and hallucinate spells

At the moment, in Unangband, you can only define up to 4 ranged spells for monsters, and these take the place of existing monster blows. Unfortunately, these can only really be attack spells e.g. fireball etc. I'm have a plan for monster 'spellbooks' but these won't be implemented for a while.

You could easily add scrolls/staffs of summoning various types of monsters.

Quote:
Whatever I just can't do without coding is okay, I'd just want to know how much I am able to do without coding.

Also noticed the lurker above looks exactly like the floor. I never noticed that before because when you have graphics turned on, it has a picture for the lurker above. Why does it have a picture for it when you're not supposed to be able to see it?

Also again, there's a few flags in the monster txt file I was wondering what they do:
F:POWERFUL
F:ESCORTS (there's an ESCORT flag, so why an ESCORTS flag?)
F:STUPID
Powerful monsters have more poweful breath weapons, and higher damage caps on their breath weapons, in a lot of variants. Vanilla - I'm not 100% on, but its breath weapon related.

Escorts forces all escort monsters to have the FRIENDS flag, even if only some would normally not. (e.g. for an orc unique with ESCORTS, they'll have orc shamans appearing in a group as well).

Stupid means the monster doesn't make intelligent decisions about what spells to cast. Again, this has much more impact on variants, than in vanilla.

Quote:
Those were the only three I wasn't able to figure out what they do.
I highly recommend you download the Angband source code and start reading. Its very easy to understand, even if you don't intend to change anything. I wouldn't make the same recommendation about Unangband at the moment.

Learn to use tools like grep to search files. Look at defines.h which sets up all the flag definitions. I highly recommend it.

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 04:43   #12
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer
 
will_asher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 927
Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
more flag questions

I looked at the defines.h file like you suggested and I found some monster and monster spell flags that are unused but might be useful:

DROP_USEFUL (don't know what this does)
FRIEND (start out in pairs)
HURT_FIRE (hurt extra by fire)
HURT_COLD (hurt extra by cold)
RES_NETH
NO_STUN (can't be stunned, I didn't think monsters could be stunned anyway)

and these monster spells: BR_MANA | BA_MANA | BA_DARK | BO_POIS

Would these work if I used them in monster.txt? If so, do you know what the DROP_USEFUL and NO_STUN flags do? (I'm assuming the NO_STUN does nothing in the current version) I would specifically like to use the HURT_FIRE and HURT_COLD ones if they'd work.

I didn't find anything else in the define.h file that I would know how to do anything with.

thanks

Will
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 10:48   #13
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
I looked at the defines.h file like you suggested and I found some monster and monster spell flags that are unused but might be useful:

DROP_USEFUL (don't know what this does)
FRIEND (start out in pairs)
HURT_FIRE (hurt extra by fire)
HURT_COLD (hurt extra by cold)
None of the above have been implemented in code, so they won't work. They're just ideas sketched in by one or other maintainer.

Quote:
RES_NETH
NO_STUN (can't be stunned, I didn't think monsters could be stunned anyway)

and these monster spells: BR_MANA | BA_MANA | BA_DARK | BO_POIS
I don't think BR_MANA has been implemented (I could be wrong), but these other flags have. Yes, monsters can be stunned... its quite powerful.

Quote:
Would these work if I used them in monster.txt? If so, do you know what the DROP_USEFUL and NO_STUN flags do? (I'm assuming the NO_STUN does nothing in the current version) I would specifically like to use the HURT_FIRE and HURT_COLD ones if they'd work.

I didn't find anything else in the define.h file that I would know how to do anything with.

thanks

Will

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 11:21   #14
Psi
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Age: 43
Posts: 870
Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
Yes, monsters can be stunned... its quite powerful.
Indeed, in FA I kept Morgoth stunned for almost the entirety of the final battle. Made life a *lot* easier.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 11:23   #15
pav
Administrator
 
pav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Prague, Czech republic
Age: 38
Posts: 777
pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Ey and NPP have elemental vulnerabilities for monsters (HURT flags). It's quite nice that you can damage ice elemental more with fire wands...
__________________
See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz
pav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 13:12   #16
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,858
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
HURT_FIRE (hurt extra by fire)
HURT_COLD (hurt extra by cold)
I'll see what I can do about these in the next version. (No promises, though.)
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 13:31   #17
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
Ey and NPP have elemental vulnerabilities for monsters (HURT flags). It's quite nice that you can damage ice elemental more with fire wands...
I don't necessarily agree with HURT flags for monsters. It makes it harder to balance the overall monster power. I know that's why they were not implemented in Angband for so long...

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 23:38   #18
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer
 
will_asher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 927
Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
I don't necessarily agree with HURT flags for monsters. It makes it harder to balance the overall monster power. I know that's why they were not implemented in Angband for so long...
I wouldn't think these flags would make much balance difference unless you're a mage or ranger with the bolt spells, because people don't usually carry around wands or rods of fire and cold. Occationally I do, but never more than one stack, so I'd either only have fire or cold (or elec or acid) but never more than one of those.

With some monsters it would just make good sense that they be damaged extra by certain elements, like ice elementals and zombies (but definetly not all undead) by fire, fire elemenals by cold, iron golems by acid, and the killer trees that I'm adding should be damaged extra by fire and lightning.

Will
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 03:15   #19
Big Al
Swordsman
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Age: 30
Posts: 327
Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
I wouldn't think these flags would make much balance difference unless you're a mage or ranger with the bolt spells, because people don't usually carry around wands or rods of fire and cold. Occationally I do, but never more than one stack, so I'd either only have fire or cold (or elec or acid) but never more than one of those.
I think that this would encourage people to carry around more of these types of items - reducing the amount of 'junk' items in the game. If 10-25% of the monsters were vulnerable to certain attacks, it would make it (more) worthwhile to figure out and exploit monster weaknesses - resulting in more varied strategy.
__________________
Come play Metroplexity!
Un, V MX H- D c-- f- PV s- d+ P++ M+
c-- S I++ So+ B+ ac- !GHB SQ RQ+ V+
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 13:27   #20
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
With some monsters it would just make good sense that they be damaged extra by certain elements, like ice elementals and zombies (but definetly not all undead) by fire, fire elemenals by cold, iron golems by acid, and the killer trees that I'm adding should be damaged extra by fire and lightning.
But no undead are immune to fire anyway at the moment... so fire will always be effective against them.

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.