Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 1, 2014, 00:07   #31
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Is there a simple way to remove auto-destroy on crap wands for skeletons?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014, 04:00   #32
Fnord
Apprentice

Fnord is on a distinguished road
If you're using the auto-pickup feature, a line of ~wand should leave any wand on the floor (if it's added before the destroy junk line).
Fnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014, 17:54   #33
youtoo
Scout

youtoo is on a distinguished road
1. issues with auto-destroy. I find it is destroying corpses i want. I have the standard one on. Sometimes I am able to grab the corpse I want to bring back for reward, but many times it gets destroyed

2. how do i figure out what some potions/items do. I do a google search and they are from variants and can't find them. like a barbarian talisman +1. I tried dropping in house an examine, but didn't see anything. do i have to use a scroll of *identify*?

3. playing vampire/ninja. I don't see docs on the various vampire skills. I raelly only use detect near and ancient knowledge. Used hide in flames a few times. Just turned level 22. Which ones do you use?

4. i am dual wielding 2 daggers. raising up dex to max. then str to get multiple blows. is this the best strat for for ninja? didn't want to increase weapon weight. my dual weilding is at beginner and it took a while to get to that.

5. i never really used stealth. anyone know how this works? with critical? I dont seem to do too much damage.

6. i see some thieves guides. i thought they would be books to read, but appear to be spell books and I can't browse. is that accurate?

7. how dangerous is the wilderness to explore? died to a bear once. so mainly sticking to Camelot. Not sure what level before i should go wander around.

8. as fame increases from quests, etc... does that really do anything?
youtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014, 19:29   #34
mewmew
Apprentice

mewmew is on a distinguished road
I'm new too but I happen to know answers to a couple of these questions.

>how do i figure out what some potions/items do. I do a google search and they are from variants and can't find them. like a barbarian talisman +1. I tried dropping in house an examine, but didn't see anything. do i have to use a scroll of *identify*?

Potions should have descriptions what they do, as for amulets, rings, non-common items (like an armor of elemental protection etc) you should use *identify* (or 'research item' in Morivant/Angwil) to check what resistances etc they give, those are randarts.

> i see some thieves guides. i thought they would be books to read, but appear to be spell books and I can't browse. is that accurate?

You probably mean spell books of 'burglary' realm. Rogues which chose that spell realm use those. They have spells like detect traps, infravision, soft steps etc.

> i never really used stealth. anyone know how this works? with critical? I dont seem to do too much damage.

It's automatic, there are some skills which improve it though. AFAIK stealth prevents monsters from awaking and doesn't really affect those who awoke, I'm not sure how it affects damage but it seems you get some backstab bonus as ninja?

>how dangerous is the wilderness to explore? died to a bear once. so mainly sticking to Camelot. Not sure what level before i should go wander around

I personally follow the following advice
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...73&postcount=7

As for wilderness, its difficulty depends on the place, Outpost outskirts are pretty safe, anyway a stack of teleport scrolls helps if you are ambushed. Don't forget to switch to the world map (< in wilderness) when you travel to a distant place.

Last edited by mewmew; July 11, 2014 at 19:35.
mewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014, 19:56   #35
youtoo
Scout

1. how do i see the description of scrolls/potions?
2. there is an arena in one of the towns. I dont get any exp from t his. When I 3. win it says 'well on your way to becoming champion of the arena'. Ok... so what happens in the arena?
Old July 11, 2014, 19:59   #36
mewmew
Apprentice

mewmew is on a distinguished road
with 'I' command

dunno I personally go there for the rod of monster detection
mewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014, 04:48   #37
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
The arena has a set of fixed rewards. If you lose, you can never re-enter (But you won't die for real). If you win, you unlock the next fight. The fixed rewards cover all sorts of things, but most of them are powerful consumables. Not every fight has a reward. Most don't, in fact. I think winning also increases your fame, which in the lategame can help you reforge artifacts.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014, 15:41   #38
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
You can actually die when fighting the arena if you screw up bigtime. If you are near zero hp at the end of the fight and bleeding or being poisoned and then exiting before going below zero hp, then if your ailment get's you to < 0 hp before you can heal you will die. Been there done that. Better to go below zero within the arena.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014, 00:40   #39
youtoo
Scout

having issues with auto-destroy. its destorying corpses before i can grab them?

also does anyone know how to get the quests lists to say where you were given the quest?
Old July 18, 2014, 03:42   #40
youtoo
Scout

any other good race/class combos besides vampire ninja?

any macros out there to pick up items and then drop if they are not excellent? as i level perception gets better, but its a hassle to manually pick up and then drop. its kind of slow.

how big of a hit do you take when you switch weapons and have to train up proficiency again? lower levels of proficiency go up? I was dual wielding daggers as a vamp/ninja, found a great short sword, but wasnt sure if i should switch to 1 short sword. also not sure how to decide whether its good to switch toa heavy weapon, iwas at 4 blows with each hand with the dagger.