AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 2, 2015, 19:36   #31
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zireael View Post
That said, the nine classes idea is GREAT!
Make sure each of the ringwraiths has one of these class themes.
Old June 2, 2015, 20:40   #32
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
I think, given the existing classes, I'd choose to break a nine-class system down something more like this:

NO MAGIC:

Warrior (pure warrior)
Archer (warrior + archer)
Assassin (warrior + stealth)

ARCANE MAGIC

Mage (pure caster)
Ranger (caster + archer)
Rogue (caster + warrior + stealth)

HOLY MAGIC

Priest (pure caster)
Paladin (caster + warrior)
Druid (caster + archer + stealth)

Plus I'd give each of the archer classes a different missile weapon competency: one slings, one bows, one crossbows.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015, 20:43   #33
Zireael
Adept

Zireael is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Make sure each of the ringwraiths has one of these class themes.
That's just an added bonus
Zireael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015, 21:21   #34
maboleth
Rookie

maboleth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I just need to figure out how to play with them on my little laptop screen. Well, pretty big as far as laptops go. But I switched to ASCII because tiles were so hard to see. They do look beautiful in the posts, though.
You have many options for tiles on a tiny screen, from Adam Bolt's 16x16 to famous David Gervais' 32x32.
The thing is, Shockbolt could make Angband a 21st century game, played on big screens with amazing graphics. For years Andgband felt and looked the same. I love it and will always love Vanilla + David Gervais tiles, but it's time to refresh and move forward.
We have the designer HERE, to make the stuff for this game. And for free. But unfortunately nobody seems to care.
maboleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015, 22:26   #35
mrrstark
Apprentice

mrrstark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maboleth View Post
You have many options for tiles on a tiny screen, from Adam Bolt's 16x16 to famous David Gervais' 32x32.
The thing is, Shockbolt could make Angband a 21st century game, played on big screens with amazing graphics. For years Andgband felt and looked the same. I love it and will always love Vanilla + David Gervais tiles, but it's time to refresh and move forward.
We have the designer HERE, to make the stuff for this game. And for free. But unfortunately nobody seems to care.
Shockbolt's stuff does look good. But, as another poster stated, they lack definition and are hard to read in-game. This was also a problem in Tome4.

If Shockbolt's tiles could be fixed to:
  • make foreground more distinct from background ('pop')
  • make types-of-things readable with a glance
  • make shadow direction and perspective consistent so things look like they're all on the same perspective-plane
Then I think we'd see his art picked up in lots of games and look awesome. He definitely has a recognizable style.
mrrstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015, 22:27   #36
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We have the designer HERE, to make the stuff for this game. And for free.
All agreed.
Quote:
But unfortunately nobody seems to care.
Wrong.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015, 23:07   #37
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sorry for not responding to this earlier - it has been on my mind. I will post my thoughts on tiles in a separate thread soon.
Old June 2, 2015, 23:37   #38
maboleth
Rookie

maboleth is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Well I'm very glad that Nick and others responded and we will move forward with this.

@mrrstark I think a good deal of tiles can already be used as-is. And thus, make a pure Shockbolt 64x64 set. Currently it's been mixed with upsized David Gervais' tiles. However, I do agree what you said about perspective and items (generic scrolls come to mind). BUT as long as Shockbolt is here and devs are willing to utilize his work and let him know, I do believe he could work with the team to fix all issues and create the missing stuff.
I don't know him personally but so far the guy proved to be dedicated to roguelike games and has an amazing talent. Let's not waste it.

Last edited by maboleth; June 2, 2015 at 23:50.
maboleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015, 03:55   #39
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I think, given the existing classes, I'd choose to break a nine-class system down something more like this:

NO MAGIC:

Warrior (pure warrior)
Archer (warrior + archer)
Assassin (warrior + stealth)

ARCANE MAGIC

Mage (pure caster)
Ranger (caster + archer)
Rogue (caster + warrior + stealth)

HOLY MAGIC

Priest (pure caster)
Paladin (caster + warrior)
Druid (caster + archer + stealth)

Plus I'd give each of the archer classes a different missile weapon competency: one slings, one bows, one crossbows.
I had been thinking along similar lines for classes. I broke it out into melee/ranged/caster and no magic/arcane/holy. This gives 8 classes, a no magic caster would be tough, and I don't think it would be very hard to implement with the addition of a couple extra flags to be used in the edit files. The classes would be:

No magic:
Warrior (melee) - as current but worse at shooting and with minimum range hit penalty.
Marksman (ranged) - adept with any ranged weapon, pretty bad with anything else. Benefits would be, no minimum range, extended shooting distance, increased critical hits with ranged weapons.

Arcane:
Mage (caster) - as current, with minimum range hit penalty
Ranger (ranged) - less good at melee, minimum range hit penalty
Rogue (melee) - as current more melee focused, minimum range hit penalty

Holy:
Priest (caster) - as current, minimum range hit penalty
Holy archer (ranged) - needs a better name, proficient with crossbows, benefits associated with them.
Paladin (melee) - as current, minimum range hit penalty

Possible 9th class:
Scholar - can cast magic from both schools but only store books. Not sure how viable it would be.
Old June 3, 2015, 17:39   #40
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy View Post

Holy archer (ranged) - needs a better name, proficient with crossbows, benefits associated with them.
On retrospect, I'm thinking one range-based class is enough. I do think it's a bit stifling that the current ranged class is limited to bow-expertise. I think a single focused ranged-melee class is probably good. Let them be good at both bows and crossbows and reasonable at throwing (which should be where slings fit in).

The no-spells, spellcaster is naturally an anti-magic class. Innate resistances, high saving throws, half damage to pure magic effects (magic missle, mana bolt, mana storm) Casters within N squares have increased fail chances on spells. Basically it will play like a tank class.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote