Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 6, 2016, 00:20   #41
shadow
Rookie

shadow is on a distinguished road
There was a bug that affected the frequency of artifacts, correct? Which versions have that bug?
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016, 00:35   #42
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
There was a bug that affected the frequency of artifacts, correct? Which versions have that bug?
Probably 4.0.0, 4.0.1 and 4.0.2. Certainly it is listed as fixed in 4.0.3, and there have been no reports of it since.
Old January 6, 2016, 08:22   #43
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhades View Post
IIRC this is a thing that has been around for some time, notably the fun
"You die."
"You feel very stupid."
I always loved the message you get when you die from a melee attack that can paralyze: "You die. You resist the effect!"
Old January 6, 2016, 08:37   #44
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprice View Post
OK, I'm back home and on a decent WiFi system where i can connect with the laptop. Attached is a zip file with a screenshot of the Lava related crash error message and 2 save files that can recreate the problem. one is my main character and the other was a brand new character created just to test the crash. Just shoot/throw/cast something over the lava at the bottom of the town screen in either save.

I found the bug by getting bored and wondering what happened when I cast Stone to Mud on the Lava. I found i can also just throw something over the lava to get the same crash. So much for Testy1 toasting his dinner ration in the Lava tile

While this isnlt a real problem in the current setup since the new tile types are only in town this could be a problem if they are used lower in the dungeon where random spell fire or whatnot could run into a Lava tile on the border. hmmmm now I'm suddenly wondering what happens if you cast a ball spell such that it goes over the lava... goes off and tries

Well THAT was interesting. If you try to target toward the border lava square from any distance, even if there is a creature between you and the lava you get the out of bounds crash. THAT could be ugly in a dungeon level!

If i can manage to target the square next to the lava without triggering the crash by being at an angle without LOS to the space past the Lava i can cast ball spells at that targeted square without a problem even though the area of effect overlaps with the out of bounds tile.
Reproduced in latest PWMAngband... damn. I simply generate a new town at 750ft, use the DM to float down and move to the border of the level which may contain lava tiles. If I cast a bolt spell at a lava tile, the game crashes in project():

Code:
                /* Hack -- balls explode before reaching walls */
                if (!square_ispassable(cv, ny, nx) && (rad > 0)) break;
square_ispassable() assumes square_in_bounds(), which is false and throws an assert.

The fix is simple... don't generate lava tiles on the border.
Old January 6, 2016, 08:42   #45
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
I think a better solution is to have a border lava tile. The thematic implication is that the lava field stretches beyond sight.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016, 10:31   #46
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprice View Post
Well i just downloaded the new version onto my Windows 7 machine, copied over my 4.0.3 user directory, and found a repeatable crash bug my first trip back to town.

i was doing a bit of inventory management in town and went to drop a stack of staves of ID inscribed with what i thought was just !k!d!v (aka don't do something stupid) and it would crash the game every time i tried to drop 1 or more of them... Turns out when i looked closer i had a leading space in the inscription. re-inscribing correctly fixed the crash.

error text is
assertion failed!
program: _
File: z-textblock.c
line 115
expression: new_length >= 0

a zip file with the save file and a screenshot of the error is attached.

Thomas Price
aka The Bookworm
I cannot reproduce this with a newly created character in 4.0.4, so it's probably more than a simple space in the inscription. However, the game still allows dropping items inscribed with { !k!d!v} when it should say "the inscription prevents it".
Old January 6, 2016, 12:21   #47
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
The interface now does strange things when your inventory is full. It doesn't tell you it is full and that you can't pick up/buy whatever it is you wanted. It just doesn't give it to you. So if you are not careful, you could try to pick something up and walk away, not noticing it is still on the ground--especially if there were multiple items in the square.
Hmm I just filled my inventory and walked over a cloak and it said "You have no room for a cloak".
Old January 6, 2016, 12:28   #48
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
There may be other examples, but I just noticed that "Knight Templar" is pluralized "Knight Templars". Should be "Knights Templar".
Not a typo. The name here is "Templar" and "Knight" is just a qualifier. It's a "Knight Templar", not a "Templar Knight".
Old January 6, 2016, 14:42   #49
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
square_ispassable() assumes square_in_bounds(), which is false and throws an assert.

Wouldn't a better fix be to remove the assumption from square_ispassable()? That way you can have lava tiles on the border, plus in the future if you have any other similar edge cases, you won't have to re-debug the crash and tweak dungeon generation again.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2016, 04:53   #50
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not a typo. The name here is "Templar" and "Knight" is just a qualifier. It's a "Knight Templar", not a "Templar Knight".
Certain? Isn't it actually knight of the temple, making it knights rather than temples in plural form. Not that it's a big deal either way.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote