Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 22, 2017, 01:20   #21
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Increased damage and increased resistance makes 'grind for the perfect kit' more attractive to newbie (and everyone else.) I am not convinced this is the right way to go.
Agreed, but I'm not saying increased damage and increased resistance. I'm saying fixed resistance (across high elements (excluding Poison, which I like as it is)) and damage caps. For example, we could say 1/7 damage reduction and 550 damage cap, so everyone gets the worst case of Nether all the time
Old March 22, 2017, 02:34   #22
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
What do you feel this adds to the game?
Believability

Probably adds a bit of interest to kit decisions as well, choosing between high resists

A.
Old March 22, 2017, 03:33   #23
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Believability
Could you explain this a bit further? Making the equipment minigame more interesting I can understand, but why is it less believable if all elements have the same damage cap? Why should chaos necessarily be more destructive than light (where there's no real limit on how many photons you can shove at something), or nether more destructive than sound (where, again, there's no limit on how loud something can be)? I'm not trying to do an "appeal to reality" here, just saying that just because we're used to some elements being "weenie elements" that are never going to be relevant damage-wise, doesn't mean that that's automatically more plausible than them all sharing the same cap.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 03:48   #24
gameplay appreciator
Rookie

gameplay appreciator is on a distinguished road
Best way to deal with high resists is to:

1. remove many of the elemental damage types
2. make some of those that remain irresistible
3. make remaining high resists and base resistances harder to get
4. make damage reductions and caps consistent across the board
5. combine some resistances, e.g. dark and blind
gameplay appreciator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 05:51   #25
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The *best* way to fix high elements is to bring back confusion and bronze dragons.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 11:33   #26
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The *best* way to fix high elements is to bring back confusion and bronze dragons.
I miss them too
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 11:53   #27
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
I would like to see what happens if basically all resistable high elements do the same damage as poison and the appropriate resists reduce it just like poison resistance does.

The lategame would become much more dangerous; or, more appropriately, it would stay very dangerous, as dangerous as a low hp diver experiences it at the start, and the state of safety that you typically reach long before being ready for the end fights would be delayed till much, much later or, in any normal game, would not be achieved at all before going for the final bosses.

To kill anything that totes weird elements youŽd need swap items and youŽd not be able to kill everything you encounter, even with high damage output and ~700 hit points - the point at which you are able to, currently.

At the very least, it would solve the boring grinding phase before the end

It might be a good idea to increase frequency of teleport other wands again if doing this, or maybe use other "tuning" measures, but on the whole, I want to play this and see.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 14:10   #28
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Estie--
It's really easy to test this. Just edit the list-elements.h file, and make every entry that has resistance to read like poison. I suspect you will end up doing more grinding, not less.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 14:27   #29
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
@Estie--
It's really easy to test this. Just edit the list-elements.h file, and make every entry that has resistance to read like poison. I suspect you will end up doing more grinding, not less.
I am not expecting the game to last shorter. But "grinding" has been used in conjunction with the late game to indicate a boring chore, not with the early stages that are more dangerous. So unless you look at all the gameplay as "grind", how will it have more of it with the changes ?

And thanks, I will try that.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 14:43   #30
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
I am not expecting the game to last shorter. But "grinding" has been used in conjunction with the late game to indicate a boring chore, not with the early stages that are more dangerous. So unless you look at all the gameplay as "grind", how will it have more of it with the changes ?

And thanks, I will try that.
Yes, we need to differentiate between "the game will take longer" and "the game requires more grinding". Grinding is performing repetitive but "rewarding" (in terms of gear, experience, etc.) tasks, particularly ones that are largely safe. Ideally it would not be possible at all, but with a game with as large a power curve as Angband has that doesn't seem likely to be achievable without rules like forced-descent.

Making monsters more powerful can potentially result in grinding, if players (are able to) refuse to go anywhere near those monsters without having the relevant resists. If the player must engage with those monsters anyway, even if only by sneaking past them, then I'd say we aren't dealing with an increase in grinding.

It still might not be the kind of playstyle we want, of course. I'm not convinced that we ought to be making more monsters capable of one-shotting the player, for example. But I'm willing to give Nick the benefit of the doubt; he seems to have made basically sound decisions up to this point, for the most part.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote