Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 29, 2017, 00:21   #21
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Don't skip the armor. You can keep yourself hasted to +7 most of the time, which isn't too bad. Just carry one copy each of the critical books, and avoid fire/thieves.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017, 09:56   #22
Sky
Swordsman

Sky is on a distinguished road
@Pete Mack - good call. i'm gonna go with this plan.

@derakon - it was my mistake, i pressed one key too many, in the middle of a thought process.

trying to make it down to DL40 for stat potions. if i can get a couple each i should be rockin'.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017, 13:39   #23
Pete Mack
Prophet

You'll also want offensive magical devices. For a low-mana mage, it's critical.
Old March 29, 2017, 15:39   #24
Sky
Swordsman

yeah, i found that out. i'm now carrying six different attack wands. i managed to take down 2 of the three stone trolls, a couple orc captains (but not Azog), wormtongue ..

just ran away from .. Logar? the chief of the easterlings, who was sitting in a kobold pit; and Rogar, neither of which i can kill. (hey ... player experience!!)

haste was not really an option, i can't waste 12 mana on a 34% fail chance. mind you, i now have a ring of INT +3.
however, i have now found both Taratol (which activates for haste), and a potion of augmentation.
i unfortunately quaffed-to-identify a potion of +WIS, -STR, but i also found a potion of +STR so that kinda balances out.
Old March 30, 2017, 17:27   #25
Sky
Swordsman

he's dead.

humans make garbage mages. high elf ftw.
Old March 30, 2017, 17:31   #26
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
he's dead.

humans make garbage mages. high elf ftw.
Worst EXP modifier in the game. Have fun grinding.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017, 22:09   #27
Pete Mack
Prophet

@Derakon -- Disagree.
You just have to dive *early and hard* with a High Elf, avoid almost everything, but take some significant calculated risks early. My last mage winner:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19649
Note gained cl 19 at 1550' (where I killed an Erinyes.) You can start knocking of mature dragons for big HP with magic devices and cold/fire/acid bolt. (It helps to take advantage of the diminished distance breath attacks.)
When the EXP penalty really kicks in near cl 40, you can do adequately in melee against reasonably powerful targets, so long as you carry plenty of buffs.

HE Mage is a ton of fun, and the EXP penalty actually contributes to the fun, at least in the early game. I agree the last few levels up to 0-fail mass banishment are a chore. But you can skip that at some increased risk vs. Morgoth. Note that you can exploit the breath attenuation with cheap stone-to-mud to create long hallways and take out high value uniques like Huan, Tarrasque, and Carcharoth with zero(!) risk, using Chaos Strike. (Non-uniques are harder targets, because the spell cost of meteor swarm is so much higher.)
Old March 30, 2017, 22:34   #28
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Worst EXP modifier in the game. Have fun grinding.
Yes, and I find that the added amount of time basically means added opportunities to make a mistake, hit a wrong key, get unlucky, etc. My high elf mages have one of my worst race/class success ratios, while my human mages have a nice ratio.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017, 09:32   #29
Sky
Swordsman

couple things ...

why does the mage default with 6 points in DEX ? what the heck does a mage need dex for?

much better 6 CON, 8 INT, 6 STR.

this new HE mage just quaffed a pot of INT and jumped from 58 to 78 mana. i've been running double ring of escaping since DL20 or so, with various shooters helping when the mana runs out; add tons of !phase, basically i'm running a no-melee ranger.

with the HE, i've been able to dive much faster and take on bigger targets. the XP penalty isn't really an issue ... up to CL20 it's short enough that in a pinch you can go for a bunch of small mobs and it just adds up. CL~30 is a bit slower but dragons and groups of trolls are still profitable.
over CL30 .. well, we'll see. with a decent shooter i can take on a single Nazgul, provided i'm in a good location.

(also, the last CL with any High Elf are made through potions of experience, not mobs. it's surprisingly easy to find 2-3 xp pots in a single dungeon run.)
Old March 31, 2017, 12:04   #30
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
why does the mage default with 6 points in DEX ? what the heck does a mage need dex for?

much better 6 CON, 8 INT, 6 STR.
I always go with 8 STR 12 INT, CON is pointless at start (even if you start with 8 or 9, that's something like 0.1 hp less per level).