AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 14, 2017, 22:16   #41
luneya
Apprentice

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I think it would be nice if finding objects on the ground were more important. On the other hand, with fuzzy detection, that would be much more irritating.
What are you talking about? A lot of the good loot is found on the ground--most often in vaults or special rooms, but sometimes on the common dungeon floor. Monster drops are only really important for midgame uniques, before vaults start to dominate the landscape. Okay, in the lategame vaults, the big monsters drop some of the good stuff, but they're mainly there to kill you rather than as a loot source. That's why TO vault-clearing is a useful strategy even though it doesn't kill anything.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017, 04:45   #42
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
OK, I've been promising to say something concrete here for a while; this will be vague, but hopefully indicative. I'll just list some ideas I currently have; it's not exhaustive, and some of them may not make it in the end:
  • Looking at Thraalbee's page shows that there are many new monsters up to DL45, and few after that. A lot of the early monsters need to be either toughened and moved deeper, or replaced with deeper versions.
  • There are a number of monsters I am considering including from FA; for example:
    • Crows of Udun
    • various archers
    • Abyss spiders
    • Nrulings
    • Serpents of the Brownlands
    • Giant black scorpions
    • Beastmasters
    • Skeleton serpents
    • Dark nagas
    • Serpents of Chaos
    • Giant paladins
    • Children of Ungoliant
    • Wolves of Sauron
    • Sky dragons
    • Hounds of Tindalos
  • Many of these include the LASH spell (which is like a 2-3 grid ranged attack based on the monster's first melee blow), so I want to add that too
  • Monsters that need toughening/tougher version include snakes, spiders, nagas, lesser undead, minor demons, felines, birds.
  • Monsters that I'm basically OK with currently are hydras, elementals, vortices, hounds, yeeks, kobolds, quylthulgs.
  • Orcs, trolls, giants, dragons, major demons and greater undead are mostly pretty good, but could probably do with a little toughening and deepening.
  • As mentioned elsewhere, I think the Greek uniques could be replaced with more thematic things - that's probably mostly just a name change.
  • Remember that I am currently working on improving monster pathfinding, which will have implications for the list.
  • Remember also that I want to make shallow monsters less likely at deeper depths; there are a number of possible ways to achieve this.
Old April 15, 2017, 15:13   #43
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
And, Nick, how about the possibility of "neutral" monsters, a la FA?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017, 21:28   #44
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
OK, I've been promising to say something concrete here for a while; this will be vague, but hopefully indicative. I'll just list some ideas I currently have; it's not exhaustive, and some of them may not make it in the end:
I'd be sorry to lose some of the other stuff from upstream on this thread, like frogs jumping...

A.
Old April 16, 2017, 21:24   #45
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
What are you talking about? A lot of the good loot is found on the ground--most often in vaults or special rooms, but sometimes on the common dungeon floor. Monster drops are only really important for midgame uniques, before vaults start to dominate the landscape. Okay, in the lategame vaults, the big monsters drop some of the good stuff, but they're mainly there to kill you rather than as a loot source. That's why TO vault-clearing is a useful strategy even though it doesn't kill anything.
Huh, looks like you're right. I've been blaming the wrongs things for the phenomenon that V characters have absolutely ridiculous access to stuff. Even so, I feel like hunting down shallow monsters should not be a viable strategy deep in the dungeon, and currently it rather is. For one thing, the most effective form of statgain is murdering orcs at dlvl 70. That feels wrong.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:35   #46
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
And, Nick, how about the possibility of "neutral" monsters, a la FA?
Probably not at this point, although it's something to think about. In FA they only appeared outside dungeons (IIRC), were based on player races, and were designed to appear closer to that race's home town; there isn't quite the same rationale for having them in V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
I'd be sorry to lose some of the other stuff from upstream on this thread, like frogs jumping...
Yes, I'll certainly look back at this thread.