Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 10, 2017, 03:24   #201
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceProgHouse View Post
In the current build, 4.1.0 and one of the recent build (subsets?), I cannot get sound to work, it last worked for me in 4.0.5 when it was setup under the xtra folder. Does anyone know a fix for this?
If it's windows, then this is a known bug. PowerWyrm has suggested a cause to do with the build environment not being clean - I doubt if that's it, because I think the autobuilder always has a clean environment.
Old September 10, 2017, 04:59   #202
TranceProgHouse
Rookie

TranceProgHouse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If it's windows, then this is a known bug. PowerWyrm has suggested a cause to do with the build environment not being clean - I doubt if that's it, because I think the autobuilder always has a clean environment.
Oh ok thanks, I'll see if I can figure out how to do this (beginner in terms of programming and what-not).

Edit:

I received the following error when attempting to compile with MinGW :https://i.imgur.com/bfQNn2H.png

Last edited by TranceProgHouse; September 10, 2017 at 06:35.
TranceProgHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017, 07:00   #203
passer_by
Rookie

passer_by is on a distinguished road
When I kill things while blind, I'm getting messages like "You freeze someone. You have killed it."

I love that we are now distinguishing "someone"s from "something"s, but my intuition of English grammar is that we should then refer back to them as "him" or "her" or "them" but not "it".

A cursory glance at mon-desc.c suggests that there is exactly such code for pronouns. But it doesn't seem to be showing up in the message "You have killed %s".
passer_by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017, 11:27   #204
kandrc
Swordsman

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh ok thanks, I'll see if I can figure out how to do this (beginner in terms of programming and what-not).

Edit:

I received the following error when attempting to compile with MinGW :https://i.imgur.com/bfQNn2H.png

That looks like it may be a path issue. It's been most of a decade since I've used MinGW (or Windows), but if I'm interpreting this correctly, it failed to launch gcc. And it says "Administrator: Command Prompt" at the top. If I recall correctly, MinGW installs an "MinGW Shell" that, when launched, sets up a working MinGW environment (and simply installing MinGW does not). Assuming I'm correct in that dim recollection, you need to launch a MinGW shell and try your build in there.

That said, the odd thing about this is that make is in your path, but gcc (apparently) is not. Perhaps you have more than one make installed?
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017, 15:47   #205
Sideways
Apprentice

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
Not clear. I never get a "You can't see" message, but everything else in LoS was ESP visible. Regardless, I had multiple sources of permanent light but couldn't see the monster in the cell adjacent to me.
That sounds like it was probably the same problem I've had.

The problem should be fairly easy to reproduce in debug mode; just get a nice light source with a good radius and then run around in a room with several master vampires in it. (I'm not sure whether it needs to be a room, but it's at least easier to reproduce in rooms.)
Old September 10, 2017, 16:54   #206
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Regarding lights:

I have waited for the base item fix before posting, but with the new light pattern it often happens that the best randarts are lowly torches and lanterns. I very rarely find those in the early game and later they cant appear anymore becaue of max level allocation. Back when there was always at least one arkenstone with a decent pool of properties that was no issue, but when that is not guaranteed, shouldnt the level allocation match the relative quality ?

For me, I could see maxlevel removed completely, I dont mind finding a *thanc in a lvl 98 GV any more than I do finding another elven armour.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017, 21:02   #207
TranceProgHouse
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
That looks like it may be a path issue. It's been most of a decade since I've used MinGW (or Windows), but if I'm interpreting this correctly, it failed to launch gcc. And it says "Administrator: Command Prompt" at the top. If I recall correctly, MinGW installs an "MinGW Shell" that, when launched, sets up a working MinGW environment (and simply installing MinGW does not). Assuming I'm correct in that dim recollection, you need to launch a MinGW shell and try your build in there.

That said, the odd thing about this is that make is in your path, but gcc (apparently) is not. Perhaps you have more than one make installed?
Yes, Cygwin, I tried from both as well as adding the MinGW to my user PATH variable. I also did try both shells and they can't find the "make" command or give the error above. I am not even sure where the make .exe for Cygwin is. I do not have either installed in the default C: directory, which always seem to be an issue for me when it comes to tasks like this.

I think I did get an alternate error where it was something like "line 38 aclocal not found", I might try again later. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old September 10, 2017, 23:15   #208
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, Cygwin, I tried from both as well as adding the MinGW to my user PATH variable. I also did try both shells and they can't find the "make" command or give the error above. I am not even sure where the make .exe for Cygwin is. I do not have either installed in the default C: directory, which always seem to be an issue for me when it comes to tasks like this.

I think I did get an alternate error where it was something like "line 38 aclocal not found", I might try again later. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm not the world's greatest *nix guru, but have you tried putting the MINGW=yes at the start of the command instead of the end?
Old September 11, 2017, 00:06   #209
Gwarl
Swordsman

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
the line 38 aclocal not found thing is autotools

if you're using mingw you need to use msys (found somewhere inside your mingw folder) which provides a unix-like environment and you enter your commands there (not in windows command line even though it thinks you have gcc now). But you also need to set up the msys thing to have the dependencies angband needs (like autotools stuff)

What are your motivations for compiling vs precompiled windows binary?
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017, 02:28   #210
TranceProgHouse
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
the line 38 aclocal not found thing is autotools

if you're using mingw you need to use msys (found somewhere inside your mingw folder) which provides a unix-like environment and you enter your commands there (not in windows command line even though it thinks you have gcc now). But you also need to set up the msys thing to have the dependencies angband needs (like autotools stuff)

What are your motivations for compiling vs precompiled windows binary?
http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/2028

I was trying to get sound to work based on the bug report above.

It appears that moving the MINGW=yes in front of the command did not resolve the GCC related error.

I'm probably a bit in over my head as I think there are multiple things I need to learn about and check. I won't have much time during the week so I may return to this at another time - thanks though.