AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 12, 2013, 06:49   #121
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
I know for a fact this is not true. I played the game in the past with a separate spoiler file
Latter statement makes first false.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2013, 06:59   #122
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
I've fought everything. Forcing me to check the spoilers to see if a Great Balance Wyrm breathes disenchantment or not isn't exciting
If you have fought everything then that info should already be in your monster memory. There is also in-game method of getting that info even if you haven't fought it: probing.

Also, you don't need that info to survive, if you need then you are playing it with too small margins to survive deep down.

There is no "forcing" you to do anything. Requirement that you need that info is in your head, game itself doesn't force you to look into spoilers because you don't gain any really relevant info from them. This is a bit like earlier "you have to stop here and there to get this and that to survive deeper", just forget it, divers proved otherwise.
Old August 12, 2013, 08:25   #123
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
I think both sides have made a reasonable, intellectually sound argument. You're probably not going to convince each other... Devs undoubtly have enough material now to base their decision on, and it's their call to do whatever they like. Right?
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2013, 15:46   #124
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Also, you don't need that info to survive, if you need then you are playing it with too small margins to survive deep down.
You just can't stop telling other people how to play, can you?
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2013, 19:26   #125
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It makes game easier. As bad as it sounds easier is not always better.
Thanks, you don't need to tell me that. Nonetheless, there are novice players out there for whom the game has more appeal with monster knowledge, and the preference is orthogonal to game difficulty.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013, 05:31   #126
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
Thanks, you don't need to tell me that. Nonetheless, there are novice players out there for whom the game has more appeal with monster knowledge, and the preference is orthogonal to game difficulty.
If you mean independent by that orthogonal, how can you be sure that is the case? Are they using it as monster reference without actually playing the game and enjoying the monsters before meeting them? Something like that?
Old August 13, 2013, 05:37   #127
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
You just can't stop telling other people how to play, can you?
That was statement of fact, and advice how to play. You want me to stop giving people advices? How nice. Be douche, I'm setting you in ignore list so don't wonder if I'm no longer answering to your messages.
Old August 13, 2013, 06:20   #128
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You want me to stop giving people advices?
"You're doing it wrong, you should play like I do instead of how you like to play" is not "advice". If people ask for suggestions, that's advice. When people tell you what they like and you tell them they should do something different, that's something entirely different.

I'm delighted to hear this is the end of this.

Last edited by DaviddesJ; August 13, 2013 at 06:32.
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013, 10:35   #129
jrodman
Apprentice

jrodman is on a distinguished road
I think the idea of checking to see if something breathes *disenchantment* goes a long way beyond survival. Do you care if your artifacts get screwed up? Maybe you don't, but to me it's worse than dying.

Similarly, at other depths things like fire or acid are pretty dang important towards not set back bigtime.

Really I'd rather see monster memory expanded, made better persisted in some fashion (account?) and more UI key to it (make it easy to see if something afflicts with acid by configuration) as opposed to reduced in relevance. A variant where the monsters are randomized on start or 'request' might make the memory quite interesting again. If it could be semi-balanced?
jrodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013, 11:05   #130
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodman View Post
I think the idea of checking to see if something breathes *disenchantment* goes a long way beyond survival. Do you care if your artifacts get screwed up? Maybe you don't, but to me it's worse than dying.
Dang, I hoped you wouldn't bring that into discussion. I agree.

For that reason I value resist disenchantment very high and try to keep it on if I possibly can even if it means going with sub-optimal gear.

IMO we need a better monster descriptions with hints, maybe even some monster lore scrolls beyond probing (while probing is good way to add info to monster memory, it is also not important enough that you would like to use slot for that).

Maybe also use some sort of monster family info: baby MHD breathes fire/cold/elec/acid/poison, so it would be quite obvious that other bigger versions of the same monster do the same.

Amnesia temporarily should make monster memory vanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodman View Post
Really I'd rather see monster memory expanded, made better persisted in some fashion (account?) and more UI key to it (make it easy to see if something afflicts with acid by configuration) as opposed to reduced in relevance. A variant where the monsters are randomized on start or 'request' might make the memory quite interesting again. If it could be semi-balanced?
Separate monster memory from char. Maybe link it to the char during birth process (so that you can have multiple memory files).

Random monster idea is intriguing but I would imagine really nightmarish to balance.