Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2010, 21:23   #21
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer
 
camlost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 522
camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I am pretty confident that we can code around that problem, if we choose to introduce class-specific randart generation.
Or you can just add a 50% chance of swapping Int for Wis or vice versa so that the player is happy. At the end of the day, randarts that are useful are more important than strict balance.
__________________
a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}
camlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2010, 21:37   #22
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 405
Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
A side comment on the effect of Int/Wis...

Even for the classes where it's very important, one thing to note is, the score in question has a very high maximum before equipment...typically it's gonna be at least 18/130, and we could probably settle on, say, 18/150 as a 'typical' max. Therefore, there's absolutely no difference between +7 and +9...and if you've got any other desirable piece of gear that gives, say, +3...there's no difference between +4 and +9.

In the latter case, sure, there could be a different equipment set where it matters, but the value and therefore price should IMO be based on the more common scenario...and most of the time, especially for, say, DL 50+ artifacts/items, you'll have something else giving some decent boost.

That suggests, if it's not being done now...the value of a stat booster probably should be capped, or at least start rolling off drastically, at/after some point. +4? +5? I'm not sure.

Note, too, that this holds for any stat. +9 Con sounds awesome, but again, you're getting Con from more than one source...I often find that my endgame Con would show as 18/270 or the like.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2010, 23:01   #23
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
A side comment on the effect of Int/Wis...

Even for the classes where it's very important, one thing to note is, the score in question has a very high maximum before equipment...typically it's gonna be at least 18/130, and we could probably settle on, say, 18/150 as a 'typical' max. Therefore, there's absolutely no difference between +7 and +9...and if you've got any other desirable piece of gear that gives, say, +3...there's no difference between +4 and +9.

In the latter case, sure, there could be a different equipment set where it matters, but the value and therefore price should IMO be based on the more common scenario...and most of the time, especially for, say, DL 50+ artifacts/items, you'll have something else giving some decent boost.

That suggests, if it's not being done now...the value of a stat booster probably should be capped, or at least start rolling off drastically, at/after some point. +4? +5? I'm not sure.

Note, too, that this holds for any stat. +9 Con sounds awesome, but again, you're getting Con from more than one source...I often find that my endgame Con would show as 18/270 or the like.
Interesting. I have exactly the opposite view: the value of +8 or +9 is precisely that you *don't* need any other item to boost that stat - making the choices when combining items considerably easier.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2010, 23:01   #24
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,551
Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'm actually not so much interested in the INT/WIS conundrum (which standarts "solve" by making it so that most artifacts that boost one also boost the other) as I am in the blessed weapon issue. Nobody except for priests cares about the blessed flag, but it is seriously important for priests (in the late game, you can sometimes get away with a sharp weapon if you don't mind the failure rate increase on your higher spells).

Then again, we might want to solve this by simply getting rid of the sharp-weapon penalty entirely. Give them (and by extension, paladins) the same gloves penalty all the other casters have instead.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2010, 23:46   #25
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 405
Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
Magnate, your point's valid...you don't *have* to look for anything else with an Int boost, when you have something giving +8. BUT, you probably find stuff with key things that you want, that *also* has a nice Int boost as an incidental aspect. While this won't be true all the time, I suspect it will be true most of the time. Look at your late-game gear; how many of those late-game items are stat boosters, and how many of your stats are being boosted by at least 2 items? Then, on the assumption that you didn't need anything else to boost Int (or whatever)...how many of those items would you swap out for something else, strictly based on the fact that the Int bonus is now meaningless?

@Derakon: IMO the priest's edged-weapon rule is awful. It's a carryover of a half-assed 40 year old notion, that has been steadily eroded ever since Gygax's whims were no longer allowed to dominate. And it's *by far* the most restrictive rule...arcanists can use +Dex OR FA gloves, and those exist as ego items and standarts both. But an ego weapon that's Blessed, only has something else if it's a Holy Avenger, and damn few higher-end standarts are Blessed.

And yes, I *much* prefer the notion that Magic Is Magic. I hate "divine magic" or "arcane magic" or most of the artificial distinctions. If gloves interfere with casting, do it for *everyone*. If a wizard can't wear metal armor because it interferes, then neither can a priest.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2010, 05:04   #26
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,093
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
The problem with tying the powers of stat boosts to player class is that priests would find lots more artifacts with int bonuses while mages would see lots of useless wis bonuses and fewer int bonuses. Even in the most powerful arts, the opposite stat would be more likely to be added because it is cheaper and more could be fit in than the higher-valued main stat.

The upshot of this is that the best mage randarts would be found in priest/paladin games and vice-versa.

Then again, the RNG has a tendency to be sadistic, so perhaps this would fit right in after all.
I'm thinking that randart code should take a small peek what has already been created before creating another one, so that items do not get too similar. A bit more not-so-random set of random artifacts? Make it create only a couple sets of boots with very high speed bonus and then stop creating them because they are there already. Same with WIS and INT bonuses, not base them on class (because like you said it would really suck to get INT-bonuses with priest, and WIS with mage).

Give enough variability that they can still be called "randarts", but not allow 10 sets of boots with speed bonus. And after creation make sure that there is at least one "great" one for each equipment slot.

Might be quite hard to code though.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2010, 09:17   #27
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I'm thinking that randart code should take a small peek what has already been created before creating another one, so that items do not get too similar. A bit more not-so-random set of random artifacts? Make it create only a couple sets of boots with very high speed bonus and then stop creating them because they are there already. Same with WIS and INT bonuses, not base them on class (because like you said it would really suck to get INT-bonuses with priest, and WIS with mage).

Give enough variability that they can still be called "randarts", but not allow 10 sets of boots with speed bonus. And after creation make sure that there is at least one "great" one for each equipment slot.

Might be quite hard to code though.
Funnily enough I was thinking along exactly these lines in response to Tiburon's last post: yes I do see that one is likely to have incidental stat bonuses on items one wants to wear anyway - we could in fact check to see if that's true (i.e. look at what is available) when determining the value of the +8!

I don't think it would be too hard to code. I've been thinking for a long time that randart.c needs to maintain a stats array, so it would be easy to peek into that during generation.

I also quite like the idea of calling them semirandarts. True randomness does lead to some undesirable results ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2010, 16:17   #28
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,551
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Call them prandarts -- pseudo-random artifacts.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2010, 18:07   #29
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I also quite like the idea of calling them semirandarts. True randomness does lead to some undesirable results ...
It is feasible to win without any artifacts. Is a non-random approach really worth the effort?
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2010, 18:10   #30
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 405
Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
I don't know the steps involved in creating a randart for sure, but from comments, it seems like it's

a) create randart
b) determine power, and therefore depth/rarity

IF this is the case, might it not make sense to work this a bit differently? I'm thinking, plan the randart set based on depth. START by assigning depth, or a small range for depth, and deriving a power range from that. Then build the artifacts to the appropriate power.

I think this would be complementary to keeping an internal table of all artifacts created so far. As to the difficulty...the problem may be that it's a multi-dimensional problem. One might have a relatively low-power artifact that is the only source of, say, rConf, or maybe more likely, there are other artifacts that have rConf, but they all get massively trumped by others in their item class.

Finally, of course, depth and rarity have to play a big role, because that impacts the notion of 'available.' We all look over the randart posts and drool at The Big One I Didn't Find.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
memorable randarts PowerDiver AAR 443 August 2, 2017 13:27
First randarts win Ycombinator AAR 1 May 17, 2010 23:00
Cambeleg x Randarts ClaytonAguiar Vanilla 13 May 6, 2010 11:31
Randarts dhegler Vanilla 5 March 10, 2010 20:30
Randarts dhegler Vanilla 30 November 5, 2009 23:51


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.