Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 10, 2010, 21:15   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by krugar View Post
The game does behave differently than the typical GTK application when I try to resize individual windows. They don't obey as naturally as others do. I guess, because the window geometry is indeed focused on a predefined value that it wants to fix for me.

For dynamic tilling WMs, it's actually desirable that the software doesn't try to impose a window geometry while at the same time offering the possibility to change it. This is especially true of software that opens more than one window. Consider this:

Because we may dynamically alter the geometry of other windows when doing a change on a single window, if the software does that, we find it neigh impossible to properly adjust the environment to our liking. It also (this is the good part) tends to expose a few bugs on the tilling WM code

What we prefer is for software to flow (wrap) content freely inside the window as we resize it. It's our task to ensure the text displays as intended. We expect to achieve that by giving the window sensible dimensions. Not by having the software fix the dimension for us. In other words, it's the user task to guarantee data displays properly, not the software's. The latter only wants to manage the flow of text. It doesn't care if it just wrapped part of that pretty table and its now a mess

Right after I start it, while still on the initial screen where it waits for me to load an existing game or start a new one. It goes back to normal CPU usage when I do one of those.

It then only consumes the CPU when I perform looping actions like digging or searching. They also start to perform slower and slower, the longer I stay in the game. It's not tied to the number of opened game windows.
But until you confirm that this bug exists in the latest nightly, we cannot be certain that the fix for #1142 did not solve the problem!
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2010, 16:49   #12
krugar
Apprentice

krugar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
But until you confirm that this bug exists in the latest nightly, we cannot be certain that the fix for #1142 did not solve the problem!
Magnate, I'm using 3.1.2v2 compiled from sources. I thought that was the latest build.

Anyways, this is Saturday and I finally have time to dedicate. I checked out the latest code from svn://rephial.org/angband/trunk (I believe this is what you meant, since "nightly builds" are currently simply a build script that compiles only for Windows and OSX), generated the config file and built with the following flags:

Code:
--prefix=/usr \
--bindir=/usr/bin \
--sysconfdir=/usr/share/angband \
--with-configpath=/usr/share/angband \
--with-libpath=/usr/share/angband \
--disable-x11 \
--enable-gtk \
--disable-sdl \
--disable-sdl-mixer
I execute with the following commands:
Code:
angband
angband -mgtk
angband -mgtk -- -n5
angband -mgcu -a
What happens:

1. First three options result in high CPU consumption during initial screen and during normal gameplay. Once I leave the initial screen by creating a new character or loading an existing one, CPU returns to normal. But it's evident the game utilizes abnormal resources when performing repetitive actions, such as:
- Digging
- Searching
- Using the . (dot) command
These use large amounts of CPU resources.

2. First three options also result in degradation of performance over time. Now, since I'm running Linux as a virtual machine guest (vmware), I'm not inclined yet to attribute this particular degradation issue to angband. I'd have to investigate that deeper. But being a linux newb, I'm still not comfortable with linux debugging/reporting tools, and their usage, to be effective at this type of analysis on this platform.

3. The last option works normally and as expected without abnormal CPU consumption. Meaning, this is definitely to do with the GTK interface.

4. Totally unrelated (or not?), but third option does not open 5 windows as I requested. It only opens the main window.

edit:
btw, if 3.1.2v2 is indeed not the latest build from trunk, it would really help if you guys added a build number in trunk to defines.h. It's a tad bit confusing otherwise, because after building from the repository the initial screen still displays 3.1.2

Last edited by krugar; September 11, 2010 at 16:57.
krugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2010, 18:36   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Magnate, I'm using 3.1.2v2 compiled from sources. I thought that was the latest build.
No. As you discovered, the latest build is whatever's in trunk - currently r2041. 3.1.2v2 is based on r1950 or thereabouts.
Quote:
What happens:

1. First three options result in high CPU consumption during initial screen and during normal gameplay. Once I leave the initial screen by creating a new character or loading an existing one, CPU returns to normal. But it's evident the game utilizes abnormal resources when performing repetitive actions, such as:
- Digging
- Searching
- Using the . (dot) command
These use large amounts of CPU resources.

2. First three options also result in degradation of performance over time. Now, since I'm running Linux as a virtual machine guest (vmware), I'm not inclined yet to attribute this particular degradation issue to angband. I'd have to investigate that deeper. But being a linux newb, I'm still not comfortable with linux debugging/reporting tools, and their usage, to be effective at this type of analysis on this platform.

3. The last option works normally and as expected without abnormal CPU consumption. Meaning, this is definitely to do with the GTK interface.

4. Totally unrelated (or not?), but third option does not open 5 windows as I requested. It only opens the main window.

edit:
btw, if 3.1.2v2 is indeed not the latest build from trunk, it would really help if you guys added a build number in trunk to defines.h. It's a tad bit confusing otherwise, because after building from the repository the initial screen still displays 3.1.2
Yes - there was a ticket for this - ah yes, it's #1012 and it's still outstanding. Thanks for the nudge - will try and fix this.

So, it does look like you have found a related but different CPU consumption bug. I suspect it is not specific to Gtk and will also happen with -mx11, but this needs testing.

Thanks for your continued tests. Before I open another ticket, I'd be grateful if you could replicate your tests in a non-vmware environment, i.e. native Linux (both -mgtk and -mx11). If that's not possible let me know and I'll try to do it myself (I don't have vmware so it will at best be a partial match).
Old September 11, 2010, 19:10   #14
krugar
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
So, it does look like you have found a related but different CPU consumption bug. I suspect it is not specific to Gtk and will also happen with -mx11, but this needs testing.
I did a preliminary test with the following compilation flags:
Code:
--enable-x11 --enable-gtk --disable-sdl --disable-sdl-mixer
Results are as follows:

Code:
angband -mgcu  : OK
angband -mx11  : OK
angband -mgtk  : FAIL
I also tested with Openbox (a stackable WM) with same results.

Note: You can ignore reported behavior 4 on my post above. It only happens when compiling for GTK with --disable-x11. Meaning, I was being dumb

Quote:
Before I open another ticket, I'd be grateful if you could replicate your tests in a non-vmware environment, i.e. native Linux (both -mgtk and -mx11). If that's not possible let me know and I'll try to do it myself (I don't have vmware so it will at best be a partial match).
Unfortunately I currently don't have the means to do a native installation of Linux. Very short on disk space to allocate a new partition. I wouldn't worry much with the degradation bit. I'm pretty sure it's related to the bug in the GTK interface, wherever it is.
Old September 11, 2010, 19:25   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
I did a preliminary test with the following compilation flags:
Code:
--enable-x11 --enable-gtk --disable-sdl --disable-sdl-mixer
Results are as follows:

Code:
angband -mgcu  : OK
angband -mx11  : OK
angband -mgtk  : FAIL
Ah, this is excellent news - this means it's purely a gtk bug and is entirely unrelated to #1142. Opened as #1192 - but don't hold your breath, as the dev team currently lacks a gtk expert.
Old September 14, 2010, 02:11   #16
grassy
Rookie

grassy is on a distinguished road
Same prob - arch, openbox, xcompmgr, angband -mx11

The "fix" for me is to NOT run maximized.
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2010, 20:49   #17
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Same prob - arch, openbox, xcompmgr, angband -mx11

The "fix" for me is to NOT run maximized.
No, that one sounds like #1142 - have you tried the latest version? The bug Krugar has found is specific to -mgtk.
Old September 14, 2010, 23:28   #18
krugar
Apprentice

Indeed. I can confirm again -mx11 does not display the bug I've reported. And maximized or not, with the latest nightly build, it runs just fine.