AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 5, 2010, 15:24   #1
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Reducing Mandatory WoR

As Vanilla (and most variants) stands right now, Word of Recall is mandatory equipment for both new and veteran characters simply because taking the stairs back to the surface is mind-bogglingly dull, and time consuming.

Without altering the core of the game itself, what if an up staircase plus [shift + <] took you up 10 level instead of just one? In this way, new characters wouldn't have to start with or immediately purchase WoR, and even advanced characters could walk back to town if necessary. Now, having your last WoR burn up or running out of food would be less of a death sentence. There are already enough ways to die.

I wouldn't be adverse to making this default behavior, as it would have the happy side effect of eliminating stair scumming, but I felt it would meet with less resistance if it was introduced as 'shift optional'.

As an afterthought, [shift + >] could take you down 10 levels, not to exceed your previously established maximum depth.
Old February 5, 2010, 15:49   #2
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
As Vanilla (and most variants) stands right now, Word of Recall is mandatory equipment for both new and veteran characters simply because taking the stairs back to the surface is mind-bogglingly dull, and time consuming.

Without altering the core of the game itself, what if an up staircase plus [shift + <] took you up 10 level instead of just one? In this way, new characters wouldn't have to start with or immediately purchase WoR, and even advanced characters could walk back to town if necessary. Now, having your last WoR burn up or running out of food would be less of a death sentence. There are already enough ways to die.

I wouldn't be adverse to making this default behavior, as it would have the happy side effect of eliminating stair scumming, but I felt it would meet with less resistance if it was introduced as 'shift optional'.

As an afterthought, [shift + >] could take you down 10 levels, not to exceed your previously established maximum depth.
Well, what if I am cruising on level 15 ? Do I need to slug 5 levels or just face level 20 suddenly ? Just give a scroll of recall at birth if you dont do that already, give 2 if you're worried about fire attacks.

T.
Old February 5, 2010, 16:35   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
How about if we re-imagine the staircases as continuing more or less indefinitely in both directions? The default behavior would be to get off at the "next stop", but there'd be no reason you couldn't keep going, either.

The biggest problem I'd see with this would be the temptation for young characters to immediately drop to 99 to look for cool loot on the ground.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010, 16:49   #4
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
How about if we re-imagine the staircases as continuing more or less indefinitely in both directions? The default behavior would be to get off at the "next stop", but there'd be no reason you couldn't keep going, either.

The biggest problem I'd see with this would be the temptation for young characters to immediately drop to 99 to look for cool loot on the ground.
For Hellband I was seriously considering for post-Dis to have every staircase be joined by an opposite staircase, with character descending ending up on a set of stairs that descend as well, with a stair that ascends next to it and vice versa.

This way the player just keeps pressing '>' or '<', maybe make it an option ;]

T.
Old February 5, 2010, 17:44   #5
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
I don't mean to throw WoW into this, but you can't have a conversation about Recall without mentioning the idea of the Hearthstone from WoW. It's an item you start the game with that you can use every 30 minutes to recall. I suppose it would be like a Rod of Recall at birth.

This topic of recalls came up a few months ago as well, and somebody mentioned the idea of starting the game with 10 ?Recall that couldn't be sold, which seems feasible to me.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2010, 02:37   #6
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of stairs that go up (not down) many levels at once. How about this for another idea in the mix:

establish benchmark levels (every 10?) that are standard recall depths. Then have a recall spot in town (part of the home?) that takes the player to their choice of previously reached benchmark depths.

?recall could still exist, as a means for escape out of the dungeon, but could effectively reduce the need for them by 50%

if we wanted to get way out into variant territory, they could be associated with achieving a certain objective on each level (one of the nine maybe, each progressively stronger than the last, on each even multiple of 10?)
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2010, 03:20   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I don't recall the last time I lost all my ?WoR.
Angband now supplies you with a single ?WoR at the start (which I think is a good change.) By hound depth, extra scrolls are easily affordable.

Since it's quite easy to avoid losing all your recall, I don't see how Recall is broken.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2010, 03:52   #8
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
What if CTRL+< on any up-stair simply took you back to town (maybe for a price?), and CTRL+> took you to your max depth? Any possibility of abuse above and beyond regular stairscumming?

@Pete - WoR isn't really broken, but it could be made neater.
Old February 6, 2010, 05:07   #9
z118
Apprentice

z118 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
I don't recall the last time I lost all my ?WoR.
Angband now supplies you with a single ?WoR at the start (which I think is a good change.) By hound depth, extra scrolls are easily affordable.

Since it's quite easy to avoid losing all your recall, I don't see how Recall is broken.
I agree completely.
z118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2010, 07:20   #10
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
I agree also that recall isn't broken. After a certain point, you don't need to recall at all, anyway.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote