Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2008, 19:46   #1
Zero
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
Zero is on a distinguished road
Redundant commands

Do we really need to have separate commands for _ and < and > and g?

Do we really need to have separate commands for v and f?

Do we really need to have separate commands for c and j?

Do we really need to have separate commands for B and T and D?

Do we really need to have separate commands for d and k, now that squelching has been implemented?

Do we really need to have separate commands for s and ,?

Do we really need to have separate commands for a and q and z and r and u and m and p and E and F and t and w? You should be able to inscribe items with letters, so that they are always labeled with that letter, regardless of their inventory position. The inventory list would not be alphabetical, but that shouldn't matter.

Reducing the number of commands would free up more keys for keymaps. The way it is now, you can keymap over a command key, but then you have to hit backslash to use the command normally.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008, 20:08   #2
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,943
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Do we really need to have separate commands for _ and < and > and g?
In what way is going up stairs like going into a shop? And what if you have stairs and items on the same grid?

Quote:
Do we really need to have separate commands for v and f?
One throws and one fires. They are different.

Quote:
Do we really need to have separate commands for c and j?
Jamming a door is not closing it.

Quote:
Do we really need to have separate commands for B and T and D?
Disarming is not tunnelling is not bashing. There already is an "alter terrain" command, +, which does what you want, if you want to macro over B, T, and D.

Quote:
Do we really need to have separate commands for d and k, now that squelching has been implemented?
Destroying is not dropping. You often want to drop things without destroying them.

Quote:
Do we really need to have separate commands for a and q and z and r and u and m and p and E and F and t and w?
No, we don't need them, but if you know you want to quaff a potion, then you only want the potions to choose from to minimise the amount of time you spend looking for the right item on the screen.

Quote:
You should be able to inscribe items with letters, so that they are always labeled with that letter, regardless of their inventory position. The inventory list would not be alphabetical, but that shouldn't matter.
Do you come from another roguelike, by any chance?
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008, 20:23   #3
Zero
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
Zero is on a distinguished road
[EDIT] I can think of enough reasons why you'd want to have d and k be separate to justify two different commands for that.

What I mean is, you'd never perform 'c' on a tile that could have 'j' performed on it, and vice versa. Same with f and v: if you can shoot an arrow with the bow you're using, you're not going to want to throw one.

Stairs and items cannot be on the same tile, unless you've changed something.

Quote:
Do you come from another roguelike, by any chance?
I've never played Nethack, but I've heard it uses a different inventory system where items keep the same letter in your inventory, regardless of what else gets shuffled around. There's a lot of things about Nethack I don't like, but that sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by Zero; January 9, 2008 at 20:45.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008, 21:28   #4
zaimoni
Knight
 
zaimoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 590
zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
You should be able to inscribe items with letters, so that they are always labeled with that letter, regardless of their inventory position.
The current inscription system works perfectly well when used, if a bit more verbose. The 0-9 digit range might not be enough if inventory wasn't locked down to 23 slots, but I don't see a compelling need to make it easier for greedy players to die by slowness.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008, 21:47   #5
Arendil
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 78
Arendil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
What I mean is, you'd never perform 'c' on a tile that could have 'j' performed on it, and vice versa.
No. You can have two adjacent doors, let's say, one opened to close, and one closed to jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
Same with f and v: if you can shoot an arrow with the bow you're using, you're not going to want to throw one.
Again, not true. You can have a bow and arrows equipped, and also want to be able to throw a spear from backpack at the same time.
Arendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008, 23:22   #6
Zero
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
Zero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arendil View Post
No. You can have two adjacent doors, let's say, one opened to close, and one closed to jam.
"a tile"

Remember that c and j require a direction. easy_open makes it slightly easier to close an open door if there's only one adjacent, but how often do you close doors?

Quote:
Again, not true. You can have a bow and arrows equipped, and also want to be able to throw a spear from backpack at the same time.
f and v require you to select an item from your inventory. If the item can be fired with your missile weapon, you fire it. If it can't, you throw it.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008, 23:49   #7
gglibertine
Adept
 
gglibertine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Woking, UK
Age: 53
Posts: 182
gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
"a tile"
Remember that c and j require a direction. easy_open makes it slightly easier to close an open door if there's only one adjacent, but how often do you close doors?
All the time, to keep non-sentients from following me when I need a moment to recover HP and mana. Jamming a door is not the same thing; I almost never jam doors. I wouldn't like it if the command were the same, because I might accidentally jam a door I didn't have the resources (strength/scroll/spell) to unjam.

Don't assume everyone plays the same way you do. Personally, I prefer to have discrete commands for specific actions; it means I always know exactly what I'm doing. Using the same command for multiple actions would be confusing and lead to potentially fatal mistakes.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2008, 00:01   #8
zaimoni
Knight
 
zaimoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 590
zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
"a tile"

Remember that c and j require a direction. easy_open makes it slightly easier to close an open door if there's only one adjacent, but how often do you close doors?
Before Hounds start showing up, closing doors habitually is my preferred method of preventing death by unexpected lice (and other multipliers). After then, not so much. (Hounds both have extreme telepathic range on the player and bash down doors efficiently.)
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.