Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old June 11, 2017, 20:42   #1
thomasd3
Scout

thomasd3 is on a distinguished road
newbie question - skill points

I understand that, at the beginning of the game, my character has some skill points to spend.

But during the game, how do you acquire points? I see that some skills require both points and experience.
thomasd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017, 00:12   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You get skill points for seeing each new monster and for killing it. After the first see/kill of each type, there are rapidly diminishing returns for each additional one. You also get points every time you go down to a new dungeon level. In both cases, the number of points is level-dependent.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017, 00:15   #3
thomasd3
Scout

ok, so if I see a new monster and then kill it, I get 2 points?
Old June 12, 2017, 00:26   #4
T-Mick
Adept

T-Mick is on a distinguished road
At character generation, you have 5000 experience to spend. To buy a point of skill, it costs 100 experience for the first point, and 100 extra for each point after.

So 1 point of melee is 100 exp, the second point is 200, the third point is 300. Go buy three points of melee in character generation, and it will say it cost you 600. See how that works?

Monsters give experience when you first see them, and when you kill them. Each time you see another of the same monster, the amount of experience you get is less. Same for when you kill one. A grey mold (tanglethorn now?) gives ten experience for the first one you kill. Harder monsters give more. You can read the amount in the monster memory screen.

In addition, buying a skill costs 500 for the first skill in that tree, and another 500 for each skill after. So the second skill is 1000, the third is 1500. Certain racial traits can make the cost slightly less, by getting the first skill free. If your character has "xyz affinity," the first skill in "xyz" costs 0, but the second will be 500. This is in addition to having the right level of points in that skill.
T-Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017, 00:33   #5
thomasd3
Scout

So, the monsters give me experience, not directly skills; but when I'm mid game and I press tab, I see the skills tree and the costs skill points.

How do I buy these points from the experience I have?
Old June 12, 2017, 02:34   #6
ripforareason
Apprentice

ripforareason is on a distinguished road
Both skill points and new skills cost XP. Skill points cost 100*n where n is the next level of skill, and skills (like dodging flanking etc). cost 500*n for your n-th skill (ignoring affinities, which make your first skill free)
ripforareason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017, 05:16   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
There's a common newbie trap here, too. If you are planning to fight, put a lot of points into evasion and melee skills. Buy 5 (or more) each, right away. You want to aim for about 20 or so total points (from skill and from bonuses) by the end of the game. Take a look at the ladder to see what people spend EXP on.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017, 10:38   #8
Gwarl
Swordsman

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
It's worth making the distinction between skills (numbers that go up) and abilities (which you either have or don't). People in this thread are using 'skills' for both.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017, 12:11   #9
thomasd3
Scout

I'm trying trying to understand

When you create your character:

----------------------------
you attribute points to str/dex/con/gra.
these points are skill points where you need to attribute 100% or can you use them later?

below you start with 5000 experience points that you use to buy skill points for melee/archery/etc
if you don't spend all the experience here, can you use it on the next screen

when you press tab, you can skills (melee/archery,evasion, etc) in game; the currency is called 'skill points', so how do you use experience here?
Old June 12, 2017, 12:56   #10
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasd3 View Post
I'm trying trying to understand

When you create your character:

you attribute points to str/dex/con/gra.
these points are skill points where you need to attribute 100% or can you use them later?
The stats points have to be spent at the start

Quote:

below you start with 5000 experience points that you use to buy skill points for melee/archery/etc
if you don't spend all the experience here, can you use it on the next screen
You can spend these at any time. Hit @ to go to the character screen to spend them. Press 'i' to increase skills

Quote:
when you press tab, you can skills (melee/archery,evasion, etc) in game; the currency is called 'skill points', so how do you use experience here?
See how under melee: power is 1 skill pt, finesse 2 pts? Go to the @ screen. Put 1 in melee. You could now buy power (for 500xp). Go back to the @ screen put a 2nd pt in melee. You'll see you can buy finesse (for 500xp or 1000xp if you already bought power, it goes up everytime you take an ability from that tree) & so on & so forth.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote