Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 9, 2010, 00:11   #21
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
Code:
#define N_ELEMENTS(a) (sizeof(a) / sizeof((a)[0]))
This macro is needed for accurate upper loop bounds...

When I see stuff like this, boy howdy does that say, it's time to get the *_@#$ OUT of a language that is so damn primitive that this is necessary.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2010, 06:29   #22
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Why would you care about conversion when comparing?
When I care that -1<0U is counterintuitively false. Which doesn't happen in those pervasive for-loops, counting up from 0 inclusive, in V.
Quote:
Was this historically a problem? My imagination is lacking in figuring out what the issues could be.
Context: I am showing a presumed 4th-generation programming language addict that this superannuated, knee-jerk "safety fix" for C programs is a logic paradox.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2010, 06:45   #23
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
When I care that -1<0U is counterintuitively false. Which doesn't happen in those pervasive for-loops, counting up from 0 inclusive, in V.
Context: I am showing a presumed 4th-generation programming language addict that this superannuated, knee-jerk "safety fix" for C programs is a logic paradox.
Didn't there use to be some strange contexts where negative indices meant floor items in V? Maybe it is still in there.

It is quite possible to imagine using negative loop counters even when indexing into arrays. So much so that, a long time ago, I decided, for my own coding purposes, that loop counters should be signed rather than unsigned for extensibility even when it appears unsigned makes more sense. My only exception is looping over all possible packed bitflag combinations.

The only reason I'm beating this horse is that I always found the size_t stuff very strange. At least now I have an inkling why someone might want to do it. Thanks for that.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2010, 07:06   #24
zaimoni
Knight

Quote:
It is quite possible to imagine using negative loop counters even when indexing into arrays.
Yes. (My C memory manager reimplementation for Windows/GCC uses this to allow O(1) access to the exact size of a malloc-allocated memory block.) Note that ptrdiff_t, the result of subtracting two pointers, is a signed integer type -- and that strictly speaking operator [] is expecting one of its arguments to be a ptrdiff_t.

(Of course, std::size_t is a C++-ism; its C equivalent is size_t).
Old September 9, 2010, 07:08   #25
zaimoni
Knight

Quote:
Didn't there use to be some strange contexts where negative indices meant floor items in V? Maybe it is still in there.
It's still there. But those indices are never actually used to dereference arrays as negative values.