AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 9, 2010, 23:51   #11
Laie
Rookie

Laie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
I'd also adjust the equipment set, so you use more of what you can do, not what your equipment does.
But... the Rods of Firebolts? Nooo! In a way, those were my best find ever. I might not have kept them had I not found three in short succession. It started out as a quick means to despose of vermin (e,y,m,J,I...) -- no lost shots, no need to get out of your way and recover the arrow. This alone has reduced my ammo consumption quite a bit. Then I found that those rods are "good enough" for many hounds and orcs and others you find in numbers. My owns spells aren't quite as powerful, and casting them as often as I use the rods would drain my mana in no time.

Generally, I'm not much of a combat spellcaster (yet?). The early spells pack no punch, the later ones are unreliable or too expensive or both. I didn't even bother to bring books4-6 until quite recently.

Since I have the rods, my most important consumable were Scrolls of Identify, of which I brought more and more each time I went into the dungeon; but yes, I noticed that at my current character level, I don't really need them anymore. I won't carry as many next time, or maybe none at all.

Quote:
And, heck, you've got some lower-end magical arrows at home; why leave them there? Use them now. You'll want only branded arrows in the none-too-distant future, or at least much higher-damage mithral and seeker arrows; (+10,+10) ammo isn't too far off.
I enchanted arrows before (the perfect amount seems to be 20, by the way) and stockpiled those scrolls because the shop sometimes has none. And yeah, coming to think about it, I hardly used plain arrows as of late -- either Firebolts from Rods, or enchanted arrows. I'll let go of the rods of light and cold balls -- my own spellcasting really should suffice for those tasks. On the other hand, I'll pick up a Staff of Teleport (to save me when confused).

Quote:
You can also do some clearing out of your home.
Yes, mom.
(I'm aware that not everything really is worth keeping. Suffice it to say that should I need space, that can be arranged)

@cineraste:
Squelch is cool! But still, I have to ID all weapons... Artifacts turn up in the most unlikely places. I took Anguirel from a dead orc shaman, for example. I also found Mordekainens Escapes among the remains of a Cave Troll, but that's a different story.

Last edited by Laie; September 9, 2010 at 23:58.
Laie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2010, 00:34   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Once you're satisfied that a given weapon type cannot possibly interest you unless it's an artifact, you can simply k-destroy all weapons of that type you encounter. Artifacts, being indestructible, will reveal themselves when you try this. I invariably end up with a keymap on the numeric keypad's '+' to destroy the top item on the floor.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2010, 06:02   #13
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'd also adjust the equipment set, so you use more of what you can do, not what your equipment does. The major things I see to consider removing: the scrolls of identify, as fizzix noted, the rods of light and fire bolts (check the damage you do with the spell, compared to what they do...and check against your *bow* damage. You should have 2 shots, so I'd be trying to gather up more magical ammo to use...but with that nice bow, even the non-magical arrows should be doing more damage),
Sorry, Rods of Light are the Poor Man's Clairvoyance. A stack of Rods of Light means you can routinely illuminate corridors and thus avoid all sorts of Instant Death.

Rods of Fire vs. Death Bow -- well, that just means you use the Rods of Fire against chaff and the Death Bow against anything the Rod of Fire won't snuff on first hit.
Quote:
Also, don't be hoarding those enchant weapon to damage scrolls...use them. Break up your non-magical arrows into chunks of about 30, then enchant them up to +5 or so. Do the same with another group of 30, then combine so you've got 60 arrows (0,+5).
To minimize fail rate, stick with chunks of 20.

Also, why stop at 60 if you have the STR? I'm uncomfortable with anything less than 2 stacks of 80+ enchanted arrows.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2010, 06:17   #14
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
To minimize fail rate, stick with chunks of 20.
Why minimize the fail rate? For X * 20 ammo, the success chance is times 1/X, so you break even. I'd rather things stack, for leaving at home if no other reason.

If you plan to use up all your ammo, the best way to get the biggest bang is to enchant the least enchanted stuff. My serious shooters get stacks of 99 to enchant.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2010, 06:44   #15
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
Resist Confusion also comes from crown of serenity, random resist on Aman and Elvenkind, and bronze DSM, but yes, it is quite rare and important.
You forgot the amulets of magi, and random on permanence and preservation. Not so uncommon deeper. In fact you will probably have many items with it.

I count 6 artifact bodyarmor (two are very rare, three very common), 3 helmets (+ Massive Iron Crown), one boots and two weapons.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2010, 23:16   #16
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
What I was suggesting was to free up some inventory space, and hopefully reduce weight. The rods duplicate spells that are in the ranger's repertoire. Spear of Light isn't particularly expensive and should be quite reliable. And he's got Raal's, so he's got Cloudkill, which has the sweet secondary aspect that it won't damage loot.

Mana regenerates...and really, so does basic low-magic ammo. You should be finding enough that you can use a decent amount every trip, and not much care.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote