Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 2, 2010, 19:54   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
You still want to squelch gold and pseudo DSM despite high resists. This change may be necessary, but it is a step backwards.
Not if they're ego, you don't ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2010, 20:18   #12
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Not if they're ego, you don't ...
I agree it is necessary if they can be egos as good or better than elvenkind. However, forcing people to squelch good and then go around autoinscribing !k and later removing the autoinscription for the next game is sufficiently clunky to be a step backward IMO.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2010, 20:25   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I agree it is necessary if they can be egos as good or better than elvenkind. However, forcing people to squelch good and then go around autoinscribing !k and later removing the autoinscription for the next game is sufficiently clunky to be a step backward IMO.
It's certainly no worse than squelching by sval and thereby making artifacts obvious, but I agree that neither is perfect.

It occurs to me that the preponderance of Dwarven DSM may be because there are only three ego types available on certain armours (red, blue, green, black, white). If it insists on picking one, it will end up with Dwarven, Stealth or Speed. I had assumed that if it didn't get any of the three with rarity rolls, it would fall back to a good item. This is how artifact generation works: if you don' t get any of the available artifacts, it falls back to an ego item. Perhaps ego generation doesn't work the same way?

Off to check the code (and implement your starting gold idea, with Derakon's modification of being debited for starting kit).
Old August 2, 2010, 22:04   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I don't understand the "stealth" DSM armor. It's not nearly as good as a similar elvenkind, so why bother?

Dwarven DSM is fantastic, on the other hand, especially in a randart game where there's no guaranteed drop like Caspannion.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010, 08:28   #15
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
It's certainly no worse than squelching by sval and thereby making artifacts obvious, but I agree that neither is perfect.
I just got DSM of permanence. Once you go that crazy, you cannot afford to squelch much, so maybe it is all moot.
Old August 3, 2010, 09:46   #16
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Aside the DSM stuff, yep I have squelch worthless. I think I'll take it off too.

Well it's just a minor issue anyways. Now, to tackle that STUPID KOBOLD WARRIOR!
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2010, 19:03   #17
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
I don't understand the "stealth" DSM armor. It's not nearly as good as a similar elvenkind, so why bother?

Dwarven DSM is fantastic, on the other hand, especially in a randart game where there's no guaranteed drop like Caspannion.
It's just for variety, really. If all egos were fantastic (see Eddie's comments about Permanence), that would be less varied (and IMO less interesting) than if some of them are a bit ... meh. Me, I love stealth. Can't get enough of it. And it should be less rare than Elvenkind ...
Old August 13, 2010, 04:50   #18
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
This is fixed in r2026 - DSM is now done by the quality squelch menu, like any other body armour. The only difference is that there are no {average} DSMs, only good / ego / artifact.
I just realized this needs to change. DSM needs to go with robes, not body armor, because of the permanence ego. It's right to squelch all non-splendid body armor pretty early in the game, but that does not work if doing so squelches DSMs of permanence.

Anyone who wants to squelch non-splendid body armor needs to autoinscribe all DSMs with !k.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:41   #19
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
I think bronze DSM of anything is a very luring choice in games nowadays. The DSM changes really opened a whole can of whoopass on body armor choices, it is great.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2010, 16:39   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'm inclined to think that DSM of Permanence shouldn't get the random high resist, since most DSMs have a high resist already. I found Gold DSM of Permanence with resist confusion; that's much better than most artifact armors.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote