AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 12, 2010, 08:00   #1
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Idea for extended home / no selling option

Okay how hard would it be to code:

Shops never restock, and do not have initial stock.
Shops have max sell cost (or zero buy/sell cost).

This would give us one extra page for armors, one for weapons, etc. you get the drift! You use what you find in dungeons, and can store for example scrolls/potions in town much more easily. I think having extra page for armor, weapons and genstore for ammo and some other gear, and BM for everything and home that the randart problem of not knowing what might come handy would be solved. My current randart ranger just cleared a "windgust" greater vault. Lets just say I am swamped with semiuseful randarts, OUCH. (I also have a 8d8 weapon found very early with no mods, but I think ring of acid will make Sauron cringe =P, mwahahaha).

I reckon this would be so easy a change to add as an option (Shops act as extended home, in the adult or cheat section), that _I_ will code it if nobody beats me to it. I just would like it to be integrated as an option to vanilla, since I like the current dev pace of vanilla so much that it would be bothersome to have to patch all new versions... Would current devs consider putting this into the nightly dev version for testing, if someone codes it?
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2010, 11:55   #2
ewert
Knight

Made a megaquick hack, now to figure how to compile it to test it ...

Here's the diff file from 2038, if anyone already has the compiling stuff going on and wants to test if it works, I'd appreciate it. Figuring out how to compile myself now, but at work ...
Attached Files
File Type: zip extra_homes_2038.zip (1.3 KB, 105 views)
Old August 12, 2010, 14:57   #3
ewert
Knight

Erm, it works but not after saving and reloading ... gotta test some more. =P
Old August 12, 2010, 16:02   #4
ewert
Knight

Okay heh, options hardcoded into savefiles, yummy, and adult was 1 off vs. birth.

This diff is fixed and seems to work.

Basically it just clears all shops, makes them not have any maintenance routines so no restocking. It buys all for 1 gold, and sells for 200, to take care of id/recharge, sort of. And well it is not totally free to store and take stuff. With no selling it might actually matter, heh.
Attached Files
File Type: zip extra_homes_2038.zip (1.4 KB, 87 views)
Old August 12, 2010, 16:07   #5
ewert
Knight

Anyways, this is totally a hack, and I guess would need the angband.exe file posted someplace so other people can try it, since most probably don't have compiling setup on their computers. I now have cmdline svn and compiler, woot.

I'm gonna start some new games with this option set and see how it affects the gameplay (no consumable buying ... but zero need to drop slime molds/torches/oil for a loooong time as no selling for cash either so no need for lots of inventory space ...)
Old August 12, 2010, 18:48   #6
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Adding new options is very complicated. I think you ought to change the existing NO_STORES option, whatever it is called. I don't think anyone uses it except maybe for a particularly masochistic ironman game, and your change would still work there.

You ought to be able to keep all of your changes in store.c.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2010, 19:03   #7
ewert
Knight

Well the option is working .. but yeah I guess the no-stores option could just as well be it, but playtesting it at the moment.

No ?phase, oil or lighter weapon at start is pretty brutal. Definitely think the starting equipment should be more "veteran player"-like... Orfax has killed me twice already. =P Food/light has not gotten to be a problem, even playing half-troll paladin, but have not even got to dlvl 10 properly, lol.
Old August 12, 2010, 19:21   #8
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I think you should leave the general store alone, and add to it whatever is appropriate for starting chars. Perhaps early books, a whip, light armor choices. If you want to encourage ID-by-use, maybe scrolls of remove curse.

Players should be able to start with money only, and buy starting kits from the general store. Let the player choose his starting equipment instead of some developer. Start the game with the @ adjacent to the entrance. Of course, I'm digressing to how I think the standard game should start instead of your option, but IMO it's worth a little consideration.

If you want strong limitations, you could make this expanded general store never restock. Or you could limit money.

Do you plan to remove money drops if the option is on?
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2010, 19:43   #9
ewert
Knight

Well stores ID and also recharge base staff/wand types, so I'm leaving cash.

Yeah the general store idea sounds really good. This version is just very brute force hack, but it's only an "if" or two away to have general store be it's old self ...

Man, my luck with this last char, wielded a bow from ground and it's HEAVY curse -4str random teleport and drain xp? Wow... just wow.
Old August 13, 2010, 21:20   #10
ewert
Knight

Okay finally got a char going properly, dlvl 30-31 scumming for some base stats and in desperate need of ?WoR to go store/recharge id staves in town. =P Decided to head up manually, ungh ...

Anyways so far: the general store idea seems definitely needed. It is pretty brutal without ?WoR buyable. I have managed a few trips with found scrolls though. Have needed to drop some things I think were useful, instead of going up and storing some stuff, which is not fun.

Other stuff: Lots of stuff I totally just sold/squelched instantly normally were used 1-30. Wands, staves of (affect) monster were kept around as no need to sell them for cash to buy stuff, which is nice.

I have to say though, the boots I found are insane. Half-troll paladin, and I find pre dlvl30 randart boots of *drumroll* ... +8 wis/speed. Yea baby! =P