Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 8, 2018, 18:38   #21
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You should have some good spells by now. Res fire+cold is hugely valuable, letting you take on much bigger fire and cold breathers than you otherwise could. the various heal spells should let you cut down on potion use, especially if you carry enough phase door. And don't forget about archery. Paladin is pretty bad at it, but the bless spell makes up for some of it. And finally: protection from evil lets you take on huge mobs at or less than your character level. Sure it fades in usefulness once your damage output goes up. But it should be helping you very soon.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018, 19:27   #22
Petoften
Knight

Petoften is on a distinguished road
And another nice weapon. I had a Forasgil rapier, now I found an even better 'Careth Asdriag' rapier with several stat bonuses and more.
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018, 19:37   #23
Petoften
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
You should have some good spells by now. Res fire+cold is hugely valuable, letting you take on much bigger fire and cold breathers than you otherwise could. the various heal spells should let you cut down on potion use, especially if you carry enough phase door. And don't forget about archery. Paladin is pretty bad at it, but the bless spell makes up for some of it. And finally: protection from evil lets you take on huge mobs at or less than your character level. Sure it fades in usefulness once your damage output goes up. But it should be helping you very soon.
You have me wondering if it was a mistake to drop the ring of resist cold and fire - since that would combine with the spell.

Problem with the heal spells is that they fail, especially mortal wounds, and are pretty limited by mana. But they're still helpful.

I am using archery quite a bit, even dropping damage wands. I haven't been using bless and prot from evil, perhaps I should.
Old July 8, 2018, 19:38   #24
Petoften
Knight

Hard pick, Amulet of Wisdom +3 or amulet of regeneration.
Old July 8, 2018, 21:08   #25
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Amulet of Regen. Wisdom +3 will lower some failrates and give you more max SP, but Regen makes you regain SP faster, which is more important for you. And the extra HP regen is great. The only thing to watch out for is that it doesn't stack, so keep Wisdom +3 at home.

Also, use bless in or before every fight, it's cheap. Especially use it before using archery, since it makes it so much more manageable. Protection from Evil is more situational, but extremely useful against large groups of evil monsters, though it can be handy for a tough single target too.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018, 21:46   #26
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Careth Asdriag is awesome! It is one of the best early-midgame weapons in the game.

what is a "named"? Why not write "monster" instead? or "enemy"? You should be getting all 4 base resists on armor or shield pretty soon, now, so the ring of rCold/rFire is not a loss (plus they are common). Rings of dexterity/strength and damage are much better. And =reckless attacks if you can't find the better rings.
Old July 8, 2018, 21:50   #27
Pete Mack
Prophet

I suspect he is using "named" instead of "unique".
Old July 8, 2018, 22:55   #28
Petoften
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Careth Asdriag is awesome! It is one of the best early-midgame weapons in the game.

what is a "named"? Why not write "monster" instead? or "enemy"? You should be getting all 4 base resists on armor or shield pretty soon, now, so the ring of rCold/rFire is not a loss (plus they are common). Rings of dexterity/strength and damage are much better. And =reckless attacks if you can't find the better rings.
As Pete said, 'named' refers to 'unique'.

I also tossed reckless attacks worried about the increased miss rate.
Old July 8, 2018, 22:56   #29
Petoften
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Amulet of Regen. Wisdom +3 will lower some failrates and give you more max SP, but Regen makes you regain SP faster, which is more important for you. And the extra HP regen is great. The only thing to watch out for is that it doesn't stack, so keep Wisdom +3 at home.

Also, use bless in or before every fight, it's cheap. Especially use it before using archery, since it makes it so much more manageable. Protection from Evil is more situational, but extremely useful against large groups of evil monsters, though it can be handy for a tough single target too.
OK, sounds good. There are some big groups of evil stuff...
Old July 8, 2018, 23:02   #30
Pete Mack
Prophet

Don't waste too much mana on prot evil if the monsters aren't all at or below your character level. With Gareth Asdraig, you may be killing those monsters easily without the spell. It is more useful for priests, but it can still be useful for you.