Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 19, 2009, 17:43   #1
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
The unique Qualthug

OK, so I have found out how to kill every single unique that I have found up to level 81 so far. However, the Qualthug seems impossible due to its summoning rate. I tried to mana storm him around a corner, but it did not seem to affect him very much. I must have hit him in the 2nd or 3rd square away from the center of the blast 6x and took off ONE * from his health.

And, Kelek's changes the game immensely. Banishment of Z's is so great. And chaos storm and mana storm beat rift pretty well, expect for mana storm's 26% failure rate... Can I get that down any lower?

Thanks!
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2009, 18:41   #2
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
once you're at max int and clevel your fail rate will not get any lower.

As for Qlzzqlpzzlplplzzz or whatever his name is. The guy can't do anything but summon. No teleport, no teleport away, nothing. At some point he'll make a really weak summon, sometimes it'll be hounds you have an immunity to, sometimes it'll be a bunch of orcs or trolls. You wait for that summon, and then you saunter up to him and start bashing away. He won't be able to pull any more monsters since all the spaces near him will be filled. Be careful though, he can summon special opponents, so there's a chance of him pulling in Huan or Carcaroth or someone that you probably don't want to touch yet.

Or, if you have no qualms about the asymmetric LOS you can knights move him to death with chaos strike or something.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2009, 19:14   #3
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
once you're at max int and clevel your fail rate will not get any lower.

As for Qlzzqlpzzlplplzzz or whatever his name is. The guy can't do anything but summon. No teleport, no teleport away, nothing. At some point he'll make a really weak summon, sometimes it'll be hounds you have an immunity to, sometimes it'll be a bunch of orcs or trolls. You wait for that summon, and then you saunter up to him and start bashing away. He won't be able to pull any more monsters since all the spaces near him will be filled. Be careful though, he can summon special opponents, so there's a chance of him pulling in Huan or Carcaroth or someone that you probably don't want to touch yet.

Or, if you have no qualms about the asymmetric LOS you can knights move him to death with chaos strike or something.

This post is 10/10 for accuracy. Listen to the oracle of Q fighting and BELIEVE.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2009, 20:01   #4
Atarlost
Swordsman

Atarlost is on a distinguished road
I think I remember someone killing him with splatter damage from stinking cloud. If he still lacks that immunity you don't need asymmetric LOS to kill him from out of LOS if you have that spell. OOD would work too.
Old October 19, 2009, 21:00   #5
Bill Peterson
Adept

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
You need to dig a tunnel so you can target the square next to him without him targeting you. The problem is you need to get close enough to see exactly where he is which usually means he gets to summon at least once. Depending on his regeneration rate versus yours you may have to use potions of restore mana.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2009, 00:42   #6
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Sounds like an AI bug that needs fixin' .
Old October 20, 2009, 00:55   #7
Atarlost
Swordsman

Atarlost is on a distinguished road
Pinning down his location is easy. He doesn't move. Detect monsters isn't limited in what it detects like telepathy is.
Old October 20, 2009, 04:14   #8
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You don't need to use any cheesy tactics. Just keep teleporting him away until he ends up in an area with restricted LOS, like a checkerboard room. Then just go hack him to death. If he summons something bad, teleport it away. Eventually he will get clear hounds or something, and it's all over.

If you want to get fancy you can reduce LOS with spells--Create Doors, *Destruction* and earthquake all work.

Last edited by Pete Mack; October 20, 2009 at 04:20.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2009, 11:46   #9
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
He showed up the next time I played and I let a room of ogres try to hit me as I hacked him.

In my mind, I always try to get rid of the things that people summon, unless I get them in a hallway (for whatever reason). Not such a great idea when the uniques get pretty hard at this point...
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2009, 14:05   #10
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
He showed up the next time I played and I let a room of ogres try to hit me as I hacked him.

In my mind, I always try to get rid of the things that people summon, unless I get them in a hallway (for whatever reason). Not such a great idea when the uniques get pretty hard at this point...
You need to judge this based on what gets summoned. Anytime I get an Ancient dragon summon, a greater undead summon, a greater demon summon or a dangerous hound summon, there's a good chance that I'm getting out of there and fighting the guy somewhere else. With a mage this is easier because you can teleport yourself and then banish everything that came up.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote