AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 14, 2010, 06:56   #41
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullfame View Post
I'm sorry... what's the problem here? Sounds like nexus breathe would be a minor and temporary inconvenience at this point.
Some people do things like dropping all flammable stuff before fighting monsters with burn attacks. If during the fight a nexus breath pops you off the level, that would be excruciating.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2010, 07:16   #42
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
I said I didn't stop for stat-gain did not say I maxed ALL my stats easily (ie those not upped at char creation), and I think none of my low stats (int/wis/cha) were maxed yet when making that post, and actually int is still at 18/66. Bad luck with int potions I guess.

But wasn't that worried about the stat swap tbh, since stat gain potions are not such a pain with this mod file. I think many of you complaining of nexus-resist-complaining should try playing a non-perfect saving throw non-monster-detection playstyle at past dlvl 60. =) You'll be surprised ... Bleh, even Draebor threw me through the roof once I think.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2010, 09:53   #43
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Also it feels like nexus resist gives resistance to the spells that warp you everywhere, not 100% but sure feels like that.
Nexus resistance gives immunity to level teleporting and nexus teleporting (and other effects), but otherwise does not protect you from being teleported around.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2010, 16:07   #44
nullfame
Adept

nullfame is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Some people do things like dropping all flammable stuff before fighting monsters with burn attacks. If during the fight a nexus breath pops you off the level, that would be excruciating.
Maybe this is just me but I feel I've been, ahem, burned by that tactic enough times that I don't do it. I can see it in an ironman game but in a standard game I usually have a stack of things at home so losing one is frustrating but no big deal. Then there is the "if it will destroy it, use it" philosophy.

My point is not that they aren't dangerous but that if you make stat gain easier you reduce the deadliness of nexus at dl80. 18/66 as a lowest is not bad. That is probably decent as an important stat by some people's current standard at that depth. With 3 stats maxed the likelihood of swapping one of those with the lowest is like 1.5% before factoring in saving throw. And if stat potions are flowing it won't be long until that is fixed. My current char is on 84 and her lowest stat is 17. That is quite a different prospect.

The other side effects are still dangerous and annoying but essentially what used to be terrifying to stumble upon has been reduced to the equivalent of walking in to a room with a nexus quylthulg or being ambushed by a storm giant or fighting any number of uniques with teleport. I would still avoid them but the nexus hounds' most paralyzing attack is neutralized.
nullfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2010, 17:25   #45
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Of course, nexus hounds still show up well before stat gain starts. I always found that bizarre myself, but oh well. You're right that once your lowest stat is over 18/50, the dangers of a stat swap are greatly reduced.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2010, 17:55   #46
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullfame View Post
Maybe this is just me but I feel I've been, ahem, burned by that tactic enough times that I don't do it. I can see it in an ironman game but in a standard game I usually have a stack of things at home so losing one is frustrating but no big deal. Then there is the "if it will destroy it, use it" philosophy.
I did say "some people". I would have said "I don't" two days ago, except I just did it one day ago to take out a black dragon pit the old fashioned way with a warrior, but I had rNexus kind of mooting that example.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2010, 19:22   #47
nullfame
Adept

I've just found that I run in to problems hiding stuff aside from just nexus. Something crushing my stuff. Something looting it. Too dangerous pack of monsters finding it or generated guarding it. Situation getting out of hand elsewhere in the dungeon forcing me to teleport level. At this point in my career the risk/reward ratio isn't there, unless it is something heavy I am just carrying to sell. More accomplished players have different calculus.

Taking out a pit I can imagine stowing acid-vulnerable items around the corner in the moat but not too far away. Even then I don't know. That's most of your best escapes if not your recall (I prefer scroll over rod). If something I can't handle shows up there could be real trouble.

Regarding nexus hounds showing up before stat gain, I guess that's what makes them so scary!
Old July 22, 2010, 19:21   #48
ewert
Knight

Okay bit off topic, but just returned from a 6000km motorcycle trip to check out Mont Blanc and the Alps (WICKED!!!, and I've seen lots of what natura has to offer, first time really enjoyed just the views ) ... soooo, I'm back to finishing up my testing of the item allocation changes.

Char dump
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10472

For those interested in current consumables/stuff and so forth. I had some unlucky experience with some electric stuff prior I left so lost a few rods of treasure detect etc.
Old July 24, 2010, 07:23   #49
ewert
Knight

Okay got careless with Sauron at 550hp, and got manastormed, yey.

Anyways. Clearing a pit of multihueds at dlvl99 was insane (had L/F/C immunities ). Lots of great drops, finally a couple of rods of detection too. I didn't get that much a chance to test the >95 lvl drops though.

As squelch takes care of stuff you don't need/want, and you only see what you need want, I think this object.txt file works okay. It DID take me to dlvl99 to find rods of detection, awgh, heh. That had to be RNG though. I think game ended around 600k turns getting careless. Missiles are plentiful enough with good/great drop stuff, that I might even think of lowering the amounts of them too, but the other stuff are dropping fairly good even now so I don't see the point really. I think I will try maybe a priest now, and see how the offensive wands/rods works with these drop rates (should be more plentiful).

All in all, it's kinda working IMHO.
Old July 24, 2010, 16:37   #50
nullfame
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
All in all, it's kinda working IMHO.
Do you have a dump? It is hard to independently evaluate your Sauron kit otherwise.

How many of these things did you have before facing him: 3 healings, ?banish, ?massBanish, ?destruction. How many did you use beforehand? Judging from your dl78 dump you were more than prepared with all of the above and drowning in ?teleLevel, not to mention maxed in all but INT and 18/66 ain't bad. I can't think of a time I was packing 5 !enlightenment. A _destruction would have been helpful but I assume you found that.

Off topic, why do you hoard ?protEvil. Isn't that junk or am I reading this wrong?:

Quote:
Protects you from evil for 1d25+level*3 turns: all melee attacks by evil monsters have a chance of 50 in (your character level + 1d100) to be repelled, unless the monster's level is higher than your character level.
My reading is anything above dl50 isn't affected. My character level is always smaller than my dungeon level.