AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 22, 2013, 06:06   #21
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Actually, the monster's vision range has no effect whatsoever on stealth -- you can wake the monster up from across the map if you're unstealthy enough. From what I can tell, the "vision" range for a monster simply is part of the determination for whether the monster should be processed (i.e. gets a turn). From monster/melee2.c, a monster gets processed if they're within their vision range, they've been injured, the player can see them, or they can "flow" to the player (which has a similar range check based on the monster's vision, so I believe this call is redundant).

In fact, at 0 stealth you're quite likely to wake faraway monsters up before they ever get activated, since you'll almost always disturb monsters (1 in 1024 chance to not disturb them), and the minimum decrement to a monster's sleepiness is 1 regardless of distance to the player or any monster attributes.

But yes, monsters with low vision are functionally asleep until the player gets close. However, that's true whether or not the player is aggravating.
If the monster is not getting a turn, doesn't that mean that it will not wake up regardless of your stealth? My favorite char is Dwarf Priest, and that doesn't have very good stealth, however I see sleeping monsters everywhere I go if I haven't already been there.

I also think that in your list "if player can see monster" is actually reverse "if monster can see player". These checks are done even if you are outside of monster detection range, but flow check has vision range check because monsters can flow to player from across the dungeon, so without that check monster would always get a turn and be processed. This is best evident with ghosts that flee from you, if they are in a wall they run until they are outside of their detection range and then stop. Ghosts can always flow to player (unless contained in permanent walls).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013, 15:11   #22
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
If the monster is not getting a turn, doesn't that mean that it will not wake up regardless of your stealth? My favorite char is Dwarf Priest, and that doesn't have very good stealth, however I see sleeping monsters everywhere I go if I haven't already been there.
You're right, of course. I don't know what I was thinking; the first part of process_monster (a.k.a. "monster gets a turn") is the bit that deals with the monster waking up or not.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013, 16:49   #23
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
You're right, of course. I don't know what I was thinking; the first part of process_monster (a.k.a. "monster gets a turn") is the bit that deals with the monster waking up or not.
OTOH bad stealth can be worse than aggravation in case of some monsters: low stealth can wake things up across the entire dungeon if the monster detection range is good enough, while aggravation works only at telepathy range.
Old February 22, 2013, 18:06   #24
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
I tested a character with about 10 speed and telepathy and I could walk up to monsters and whack them. It was ridiculous. We need negative stealth or keeping aggravation. If We're changing ability code then we might want to change some other stuff.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013, 18:06   #25
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
OTOH bad stealth can be worse than aggravation in case of some monsters: low stealth can wake things up across the entire dungeon if the monster detection range is good enough, while aggravation works only at telepathy range.
But mostly, those monsters can't path to you anyway, so it's a moot point. The only ones where it's probably relevant are adunaphel, maeglin (and maybe tselakus?). The first two at least will continue hunting you down from across the level once they're awake.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013, 19:02   #26
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I tested a character with about 10 speed and telepathy and I could walk up to monsters and whack them. It was ridiculous. We need negative stealth or keeping aggravation. If We're changing ability code then we might want to change some other stuff.
One thing we could easily try is increasing the vision range for all monsters to be at least max sight range. That would be easy to do (it's just a modification to monster.txt). It's unclear to me what exactly the benefits are of having monsters with low vision (15 or lower).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013, 22:06   #27
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One thing we could easily try is increasing the vision range for all monsters to be at least max sight range. That would be easy to do (it's just a modification to monster.txt). It's unclear to me what exactly the benefits are of having monsters with low vision (15 or lower).
Well, to be fair, max-sight should be lower, not the monster vision. Max-sight is too high, it hampers playing on small screens. There are some buggy pathing going on currently in V, but i've never managed to make much progress on it.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013, 07:45   #28
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Well, to be fair, max-sight should be lower, not the monster vision. Max-sight is too high, it hampers playing on small screens.
Then make that for small screens, don't ruin it to us that play with reasonable sized screens. (I'm guessing large tiles?)