AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 27, 2009, 20:34   #11
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
Playing as an ironman half-troll paladin and wasn't doing too badly for my ironman attempts, but ended up getting both my pb2 books burned by a giant salamander (in one breath which I didn't think was possible) and never found another one.
Had 8 scrolls of satisfy hunger and a ring of slow metabolism on, but they got used up gradually and it started to feel a bit inevitable as my food supply was never replaced.

Tried farming black oozes for ages (about half an hour my time), but no food, satisfy hunger or pb2 dropped. Don't think I saw a mushroom the whole game.

In the end had to quaff all my potions, which didn't seem to do much good at all. Then had to cast CCW to keep my health up whilst teleporting about looking for food. No luck alas and slowly starved to death.

Any tips to avoid this happening in future?

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9735
Portal when you see the salamander. If you have to face it, use a precious !speed or your extra-special ammo or whatever. Fire attacks should scare you worse than a drolem.

Ironman is hard, and you cannot survive without PB2. Death to starvation is superficially different from death to lack of portal or lack of remove curse, but the real death was to lack of PB2. When both copies were burnt, you had essentially lost the game.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009, 20:57   #12
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Portal when you see the salamander. If you have to face it, use a precious !speed or your extra-special ammo or whatever. Fire attacks should scare you worse than a drolem.

Ironman is hard, and you cannot survive without PB2. Death to starvation is superficially different from death to lack of portal or lack of remove curse, but the real death was to lack of PB2. When both copies were burnt, you had essentially lost the game.
Yeah I should have escaped when I saw the salamander, I just wasn't aware of the fact they could destroy both my pb2 books in one attack.

Are you essentially saying it is almost impossible to win with an ironman warrior due to lack of food source once your initial rations are used up?

Also would you suggest buying two copies of pb2 instead of one each of pb2 and pb3 at the start?
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2009, 04:03   #13
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Yeah I should have escaped when I saw the salamander, I just wasn't aware of the fact they could destroy both my pb2 books in one attack.

Are you essentially saying it is almost impossible to win with an ironman warrior due to lack of food source once your initial rations are used up?

Also would you suggest buying two copies of pb2 instead of one each of pb2 and pb3 at the start?
The book choice is a hard one. I was diving with my ironman priests, so I don't know how likely you are to find PB3 with a more sedate descent rate. Can you live without it until DL40? It might take that long. I found ways to live without it, but that might not be fun for everyone.

I still haven't tried ironman warriors, so I don't know what I would expect to kill them long before they died of starvation.
Old December 28, 2009, 18:07   #14
PowerDiver
Prophet

FWIW, I just checked, and the ironman priest I posted to the ladder "Vandim" started with PB3.
Old December 29, 2009, 02:46   #15
bron
Knight

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Satisfy hunger sets you to 15,000 food, which is 7,500 player-turns of life for a half-troll, 15,000 with slow digestion.
No, it doesn't work like that. Normal food consumption rate is 20, regeneration (intrinsic in a half-troll) adds 30 to the rate, slow digestion subtracts 10 from the rate. So a half-troll with slow-digestion burns food twice as fast as a regular character.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009, 10:44   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
No, it doesn't work like that. Normal food consumption rate is 20, regeneration (intrinsic in a half-troll) adds 30 to the rate, slow digestion subtracts 10 from the rate. So a half-troll with slow-digestion burns food twice as fast as a regular character.
Ok, so that was 50-60k player turns in 8 scrolls, rather than 100-120k. ISTR the OP said he got two of the scrolls burnt, so we're looking at something like 40k player turns instead, assuming he didn't go beyond hungry. Starvation begins to look more plausible.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009, 06:21   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Definitely as a Paladin, especially as a HT paladin. PB2 and PB1 will take you a long, long way. PB3 is a luxury for Paladins. (PB6 replaces PB1; at depth you want PBs 2, 4, 5, and 6. And nothing else.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009, 22:56   #18
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Definitely as a Paladin, especially as a HT paladin. PB2 and PB1 will take you a long, long way. PB3 is a luxury for Paladins. (PB6 replaces PB1; at depth you want PBs 2, 4, 5, and 6. And nothing else.)
I agree with all of this. Somehow I missed the paladin/priest distinction.
Old December 8, 2014, 11:18   #19
ThePathfinder
Rookie

ThePathfinder is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to ThePathfinder
Solution

Backup /My Documents/FA(or what the game is)/(character).faa