AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 31, 2010, 10:48   #1
Kayim
Rookie

Kayim is on a distinguished road
Question Pseudo-ID {magical}

Hi

First post here. I've been playing Angband on and off for 7 or 8 years now, but I have just upgraded from 3.06 to 3.1.1.

I have read about most of the changes, but cant seem to find out why my characters pseud-id is bahving differently. I play a Dunadan Warrior and my ID has always told me whether an item is {average}, {good}, {special}, {cursed} etc. Now all it tells me is {magical}.

Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed, or something else that has changed that I'm not aware of?

I kinda miss my ID!

Thanks in advance

Kayim
Kayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 11:18   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayim View Post
Hi

First post here. I've been playing Angband on and off for 7 or 8 years now, but I have just upgraded from 3.06 to 3.1.1.

I have read about most of the changes, but cant seem to find out why my characters pseud-id is bahving differently. I play a Dunadan Warrior and my ID has always told me whether an item is {average}, {good}, {special}, {cursed} etc. Now all it tells me is {magical}.

Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed, or something else that has changed that I'm not aware of?
Kayim
Pseudo-ID system changed. All chars have now this kind of pseudo and {magical} means item with negative or positive bonus that isn't cursed, ego-item or artifact. Average items get identified in event of pseudo. Later when your char has developed a bit further you start to get more and more detailed info and eventually full info pretty much as soon as you pick item up. Unfortunately it still does not pseudo items at the floor.

If you wield {magical} weapon and hit something with it it reveals the bonus (or penalty) it has as soon as you manage to hit that something. If it gives you resistances you notice it when you are hit by that element and so on. Basically you wouldn't need ID at all if you could just test everything, but testing takes time and inventory space, so in practice you still need ID. Not that many ID, but some nevertheless.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 12:30   #3
Kayim
Rookie

Kayim is on a distinguished road
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks for your speedy reply! I guess I'll just go wield things then! LOL!
Kayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 12:54   #4
fyonn
Adept

fyonn is on a distinguished road
careful, only wield them if they just say magical. if you wield them un-ID'd then they may feel deathly cold..

oh, and you recognise artefacts immediately on pick up now, though you'll still need to cast ID or use them thoroughly to understand all their abilities.

dave
fyonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 15:20   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Cursed equipment is much more rare now, since all of the "standard item, just with minuses" equipment now are not cursed. However, weapons of Morgul are still in th game, and heavily cursed; if you put one on you're pretty much hosed unless you have access to a *Remove Curse* scroll, and those are rare. Fortunately Morgul weapons are the only heavily-cursed ego equipment in the game, and you can recognize all artifacts as soon as you pick them up (though not whether or not they're cursed).

Basically, as soon as you aren't willing to risk effectively killing your character on a 1-in-1000 chance*, you should stop wielding weapons that you haven't ID'd.

* odds are made up
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2010, 06:14   #6
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyonn View Post
oh, and you recognise artefacts immediately on pick up now, though you'll still need to cast ID or use them thoroughly to understand all their abilities.
You recognise artifacts immediately but don't know their abilities? What's the point of that? I thought the VADT (vanilla Angband dev team) were trying to eliminate the thing about having to keep the .txt files open while you play.

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2010, 06:37   #7
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
You recognise artifacts immediately but don't know their abilities? What's the point of that?
One necessity is dealing with preserve when you use an artifact and toss it without identifying it.

It makes just as much sense as not knowing monster abilities when you know the monster name, and more sense than not auto-IDing the 147th weapon with +2 str/dex/con. Of course, I think the game should present edit file knowledge to the player seamlessly, but an accurate in-game manual is too radical for many people.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote