Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 2, 2018, 10:14   #101
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
OK, I have another stupid question:

Why does a quarterstaff weigh 15 lbs. in Angband? In reality they're between two and five pounds on average.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018, 11:49   #102
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglibertine View Post
OK, I have another stupid question:

Why does a quarterstaff weigh 15 lbs. in Angband? In reality they're between two and five pounds on average.
This is an old one, coming up every now and then. I dont really know, but my speculation is that whoever first made the game took the carrying capacity values right out of the d&d players handbook where str rises to ridiculous heights and carrying capacity follows suit. If that is so, 15 lbs would be a compromise between realistic weights and the fraction of carrying capacity that makes for a realistic amount of quarterstaves carried.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018, 13:55   #103
Darin
Scout

Darin is on a distinguished road
The way D&D weapon weights were explained to me was that it was a compromise between weapon weight and unwieldiness. So the quarterstaff is considered unwieldy enough to give it a weight penalty for combat purposes. Of course, that makes no sense from the point of view of how many you can lug around.

Last edited by Darin; June 2, 2018 at 13:56. Reason: dyslexic typo fix
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 13:29   #104
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
The way D&D weapon weights were explained to me was that it was a compromise between weapon weight and unwieldiness. So the quarterstaff is considered unwieldy enough to give it a weight penalty for combat purposes. Of course, that makes no sense from the point of view of how many you can lug around.
Everything's changed in 5e. Quarterstaff now weighs 4 lbs. Encumbrance rules have been reworked as well, but I've literally never played in a game where encumbrance was even used, probably because the old rules were so bad that people gave up on them and can't be arsed to learn the new ones.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018, 08:46   #105
Adam
Scout

Adam is on a distinguished road
I'm still on 4.0.3 and recognized something strange. I started to fight a bunch of sleeping ogres. When I nearly killed a chieftain he started to run away through his friends - who all remained sleeping. This I find quite strange, don't they wake up when someone pushes them past?
I don't know if this was changed in newer versions but looks like a minor thing so maybe not.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018, 12:57   #106
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm still on 4.0.3 and recognized something strange. I started to fight a bunch of sleeping ogres. When I nearly killed a chieftain he started to run away through his friends - who all remained sleeping. This I find quite strange, don't they wake up when someone pushes them past?
I don't know if this was changed in newer versions but looks like a minor thing so maybe not.
There are 2 things that don't make sense here:

1) That a monster is shoved 10 feet and doesn't wake up.

2) That a monster who has a bodyguard doesn't wake the bodyguard up when they get attacked. Defending the chief/unique/etc is the entire reason that they are there.

Both events should be a trigger to wake. In the case of the chief then they should maybe have an action that causes them to wake their guard.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote