Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2009, 05:16   #1
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,174
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
FAangband repository

There is now a Bazaar repository for FAangband at Launchpad. For those who haven't a clue about Bazaar, it can be downloaded for Windows, OS X, linux etc from here, and behaves rather like (and is largely compatible with) svn.

Note that the repository version (while still technically 1.0.2) is now dual licensed (Angband license and GPLv2) like Vanilla.

I still haven't entirely got the hang of this version control thing, so don't be surprised if weird stuff happens occasionally.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2009, 09:29   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Out of interest, what made you choose bazaar over svn, git, hg or any of the others?
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2009, 09:58   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,174
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Out of interest, what made you choose bazaar over svn, git, hg or any of the others?
Looked for places to put it, and Launchpad seemed to have everything I might want (lots of green), and bazaar is the main thing there. Plus I'm currently a(n?) Ubuntu user, so that seemed to fit. And from what I could see, none of the differences between the bazaar and svn, git, etc seemed very important. It could well be a disastrous error, but hey.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2009, 15:25   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Looked for places to put it, and Launchpad seemed to have everything I might want (lots of green), and bazaar is the main thing there. Plus I'm currently a(n?) Ubuntu user, so that seemed to fit. And from what I could see, none of the differences between the bazaar and svn, git, etc seemed very important. It could well be a disastrous error, but hey.
I don't know there's any such thing as a disastrous error - I was just wondering if it was significantly different from the SCM systems I know. I have a hard enough time getting my head around one or two, but some people seem to be able to use them all with ease.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2009, 00:51   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,174
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I don't know there's any such thing as a disastrous error - I was just wondering if it was significantly different from the SCM systems I know. I have a hard enough time getting my head around one or two, but some people seem to be able to use them all with ease.
I am not one of those people. I know enough svn to be able to do basic patches for V, and I'm taking the optimistic view that if I pretend to be a real developer for long enough I'll end up being one. My understanding is that svn's philosophy is to have one central repository, git's is to have no central repository, and bazaar is somewhere in between - but having said that, you would probably only really notice significant differences on a big project. So I don't think it really matters for FA - it's hardly the linux kernel. And I'm still going to be regarding the source on my dev machine as the canonical version (no pun intended), the main difference will be that there will be more frequent public updates. And I may even at some point be sufficiently organised to get into the whole bug-tracking, milestone thing.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2009, 11:55   #6
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,858
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I am not one of those people. I know enough svn to be able to do basic patches for V, and I'm taking the optimistic view that if I pretend to be a real developer for long enough I'll end up being one.
Pretty much how it works.
__________________
"Physician, heal thyself."
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAangband 1.0 Nick Variants 330 March 25, 2010 11:52
FAangband 0.3.6 Nick Variants 306 August 9, 2009 05:32
FAangband 0.3.5 Nick Variants 145 March 2, 2009 05:31
[V] patch repository? chem Vanilla 1 February 12, 2009 20:14
FAangband 0.3.4 Nick Variants 121 August 7, 2008 11:32


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.