Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2015, 16:47   #21
mushroom patch
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 298
mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
mushroom patch, is there a specific reason you choose to be an asshole? I mean, you probably have some points to make, but I can't get to them through all the levels of condescension.
It's hard to express how much it pains me to hear you couldn't get to my points. I know you tried hard, like the guy who said without encumbrance there would be "no real sense of progression over 100 levels."
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015, 16:54   #22
Carnivean
Knight
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 527
Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
It's hard to express how much it pains me to hear you couldn't get to my points. I know you tried hard, like the guy who said without encumbrance there would be "no real sense of progression over 100 levels."
Not only are you an asshole, you have presented a complete strawman of what I said. Either you have so little ability to comprehend what I was saying, or you are working under the assumption that people will think that that's what I'm saying.

You're either a troll or so completely deluded that you don't believe that being an asshole causes everyone to completely disregard you.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015, 17:05   #23
mushroom patch
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 298
mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, your point was more challenging than I realized? Please, elaborate.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015, 17:19   #24
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
Oh, your point was more challenging than I realized? Please, elaborate.
You know, he's right: your tone on this forum is incredibly condescending. It is ruining your ability to convince people of your correctness. So basically, as I see it, you have two options:

1) Continue to behave as you have been, and do an awful job of actually communicating, in which case why are you bothering to participate on a forum? The purpose of the forum after all is to communicate.

2) Be more diplomatic, and learn to disagree with people without insulting them. Explain yourself more fully instead of (as far as I can tell) starting with the premise that your stance is so obviously correct that anyone who disagrees with you is incompetent. In brief, try to convince people that you're right instead of just telling them that you are, which is what you've mostly been doing.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015, 18:52   #25
mushroom patch
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 298
mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
It's okay if people aren't convinced.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015, 18:57   #26
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
It's okay if people aren't convinced.
No, it's really not. If you aren't communicating effectively and you're insulting people, then you're acting as a net negative on the community. You can do better. You should do better.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015, 10:02   #27
mushroom patch
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 298
mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, it is okay if people aren't convinced.

For example, I found the argument you made in your first post in this thread extremely unconvincing. That's okay.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015, 10:41   #28
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,955
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
Yes, it is okay if people aren't convinced.

For example, I found the argument you made in your first post in this thread extremely unconvincing. That's okay.
But, in addition to being unconvincing, your argument style has been offensive, off-putting, and downright rude. So, I for one no longer listen to what you say.
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015, 11:01   #29
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
But, in addition to being unconvincing, your argument style has been offensive, off-putting, and downright rude. So, I for one no longer listen to what you say.
Person can be added to ignore list (user CP, edit ignore list). I have two names in mine. If mushroom patch doesn't learn he will find himself quite lonely here soonish.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015, 16:18   #30
mushroom patch
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 298
mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
I present a thesis, I engage the antithesis. When the antithesis is crap, e.g. in this thread, I sometimes find it hard to contain my disappointment, it's true.

Anyway, I feel I've adequately presented my perspective on various aspects of angband's design (or evolution) and some of the pushback has been interesting. That's enough for me.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level 31 Mage, which armor to use??? Freddo AAR 7 March 16, 2015 15:20
encumbering armor quarague Vanilla 5 July 15, 2012 17:21
Randart armor. Faerandir Vanilla 3 December 8, 2010 08:22
Test-Id for armor Donald Jonker Vanilla 3 May 20, 2009 10:00
YACD my first mage (but not getting the full mage experience) will_asher AAR 9 September 8, 2007 06:34


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.